Extinction Rebellion

Status
Not open for further replies.

:?:

I was the OP. I just made a passing comment, no prime example.
It wasn't a dig at you. I was just making the point that people don't realise the environmental impact costs of one thing over another.

You obviously thought using disposable nappies was worse for the environment than reusable ones but it doesn't make any difference. They both have an equally large carbon footprint. There was a big Environment Agency study on this a few years ago with a 300 page downloadable PDF. Page 12 says there is no difference ;).
How do you work that one out?
I didn't. Like I said the Environment Agency did a life cycle analysis study on the subject and have produced a free to read report on it online. You don't have to take my word for it. This is my point though. People assume they know what is good and what is bad for the environment, but the truth often surprises people and the proof is in your response.

Like I said it's not a dig at you. Most people think the same.

Last edited:
It wasn't a dig at you. I was just making the point that people don't realise the environmental impact costs of one thing over another.

You obviously thought using disposable nappies was worse for the environment than reusable ones but it doesn't make any difference. They both have an equally large carbon footprint. There was a big Environment Agency study on this a few years ago with a 300 page downloadable PDF. Page 12 says there is no difference ;).

I didn't. Like I said the Environment Agency did a life cycle analysis study on the subject and have produced a free to read report on it online. You don't have to take my word for it. This is my point though. People assume they know what is good and what is bad for the environment, but the truth often surprises people and the proof is in your response.

In fairness though ‘experts’ are always changing their minds about what is and isn’t the right advice. Not just about climate change but pretty much all aspects of life.

From what I understand from that report is both have similar carbon footprints with reusable having slightly worse. But if you wash in an economical way(energy efficient washing machine and line dry) and use the same nappies for a second child then reusable are the winner. Plus much less landfill.

What about all the plastic bags disposables come in? That wasn't taken into account either was it and it was assumed people ironed reusables :eek:

I wouldn’t care if you were.

While I don’t eat meat every day I will carry on eating meat and fish and no amount of unwashed hippies telling me to stop will change that.
The hippies having a go at Brazilians whilst benefiting from the destruction of our environment is what I find interesting. Remainers voting for the destruction of our ecology by continuing to support CAP is another one.
Second day as a vegan, it wont last much longer :lol: :lol:

It doesn’t matter if it was the same people, those last week were environmental campaigners who were causing unnecessary damage to the climate, today those travelling to London to tell everyone how much we are all killing the planet were contributing to killing the planet.

Brainwashed hypocrites.

Awful logic there mind.

If the protesting contributes towards a gradual improvement over time, then it's not really hypocritical. I don't agree with the way they've gone about a lot of their protests, but that argument is very flimsy.

In fairness though ‘experts’ are always changing their minds about what is and isn’t the right advice. Not just about climate change but pretty much all aspects of life.
It was one of those things where they work out the energy, water and resources etc for both and decided that they were just as bad as each other. It takes a long time but they're pretty accurate, having to put shitty nappies on a hot wash and the detergent v making a thin throw away.

The experts will always have a different opinion tomorrow. Maybe they don't know as much as they would like us to believe :D

Do Extinction Rebellion have a stance on population control? The notion seems to be contradictory to their nom de guerre.

They do in that very few people would want to procreate with someone who doesn’t get washed on a regular basis.
Awful logic there mind.

If the protesting contributes towards a gradual improvement over time, then it's not really hypocritical. I don't agree with the way they've gone about a lot of their protests, but that argument is very flimsy.

Have any of the XR protests over the last year made you do anything differently? It hasn’t with me and it won’t.

Last edited:
Anyone see the daft cow on Sky News yesterday morning? Sophie Ridge mentioned that the last time they did this, a bloke who was on his way to see his dying father missed him passing away due to their road block. The lasses response was that it was a shame but really his dad dying is the same as us killing the planet or something along those lines.

From what I understand from that report is both have similar carbon footprints with reusable having slightly worse. But if you wash in an economical way(energy efficient washing machine and line dry) and use the same nappies for a second child then reusable are the winner. Plus much less landfill.

What about all the plastic bags disposables come in? That wasn't taken into account either was it and it was assumed people ironed reusables :eek:
You're right you can pick holes in any statistical study. I think it's safe to say a hot wash is recommended for nappies, they could be incinerated in energy from waste sites and you could argue other points on both sides. The point I was making is that one isn't beneficial enough to make a big argument for. The same argument can be made against most green technologies.
The hippies having a go at Brazilians whilst benefiting from the destruction of our environment is what I find interesting. Remainers voting for the destruction of our ecology by continuing to support CAP is another one.
Second day as a vegan, it wont last much longer :lol: :lol:
Stick at the vegan thing mate. At least you can say you've given it a go. I was thinking about doing it 4 days a week. Every little helps :D

Last edited:
Stick at the vegan thing mate. At least you can say you've given it a go. I was thinking about doing it 4 days a week. Every little helps :D
I'm going to. Never ever thought I would. Just so I can be even more holier than thou with middle class liberals. Worth the sacrifice :lol:

Edit, I dont deny I have a few middle class liberal tendencies myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back