Expressions you hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D

I’ve been monitoring this thread with interest!

Mind I have to say that while the SMB loves to pile on the yanks for some absolutely shite phrases (and on occasion this is justified) it’s good to see that there is no shortage of unmitigated linguistic horrors that are well and truly home grown! A lot of what youse are complaining about on this thread has yet to reach these shores as far as I can tell. “Gettyups”? WTF has happened since I left?

It should be incumbent on every single contributor in this thread to stamp this kind of absolute bollocks out as a service to the English language. Don’t complain about it on here until you’ve already fought it in the real world. When your boss asks you to “reach out” tell the daft twat that your arms aren’t that long and it would be much easier just to call them.
Youse???

I've never heard that before. Anyone that says that deserves to be punched so hard that they'd have an extra getty up to go.

Haha totally agree.

A lad from work counted down to his holidays on facebook daily, infuriating.

Like a boss. Or bossed it.

And tosspots saying "Dude". Fuck off man.
Smashed it

When describing a jog, gym workout, or printing leaflets at work

"Two meals for the price of one if you pick any two of the 5 meals in the saver option on the pub menu, BOOM!"

f***ing boom

Haha, think I'd have strangled him within an hour.

My boss sometimes will say "no, he aint getting double bubble" when referring to customer discounts

"Ten to the dozen" NO it's NINETEEN to the dozen you prick !!
"Win big"
"My journey"
"Space" (no, it's a friggin ROOM)
"Tickety boo" makes me heave
"No offence but...." preceding something offensive
Time expressed in "sleeps"
"Cheeky" preceding anything vaguely indulgent
"Dirty" preceding any food item
"Hollibobs" should be a burning at the stake offence
"Sourced" NO, you mean "bought"

*Goes off for a lie-down

4 sleeps till hollibobs!
Boom!gonna be totes awesome
Wowza!dirty fries and filthy electro funk
Cheeky pint at the airport #beer#livelife#hollibobs

Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg

Last edited:
Haha totally agree.

A lad from work counted down to his holidays on facebook daily, infuriating.

Smashed it

When describing a jog, gym workout, or printing leaflets at work

"Two meals for the price of one if you pick any two of the 5 meals in the saver option on the pub menu, BOOM!"

f***ing boom

My boss sometimes will say "no, he aint getting double bubble" when referring to customer discounts

4 sleeps till hollibobs!
Boom!gonna be totes awesome
Wowza!dirty fries and filthy electro funk
Cheeky pint at the airport #beer#livelife#hollibobs

Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg

Totes Amazeballs.

Me: “What did you do at the weekend?”
Them: “I didn’t do nothing.”
Me: “So if you didn’t do nothing then you must have done something. Unless of course you mean you didn’t do anything.”
Them: “Fuck off!”

My english teacher (talking about 50+ years ago here) went mad if we called a 'rule' a 'ruler'.
A 'ruler' is a King or Queen she'd scream. Stuck with me so much that I still cannot stop myself correcting my adult children!

My english teacher (talking about 50+ years ago here) went mad if we called a 'rule' a 'ruler'.
A 'ruler' is a King or Queen she'd scream. Stuck with me so much that I still cannot stop myself correcting my adult children!
ruler
/ˈruːlə/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person exercising government or dominion.
    synonyms: leader, sovereign, monarch, potentate, crowned head, head of state;More
  2. 2.
    a straight strip or cylinder of plastic, wood, metal, or other rigid material, typically marked at regular intervals and used to draw straight lines or measure distances

ruler
/ˈruːlə/
noun
  1. 1.
    synonyms: leader, sovereign, monarch, potentate, crowned head, head of state;More
  2. 2.
    a straight strip or cylinder of plastic, wood, metal, or other rigid material, typically marked at regular intervals and used to draw straight lines or measure distances
Times change:)
I wont show my kids this post;)

Anyhoo.

Don't hear "At the end of the day" anymore.
I get griefed to bits for using 'at the end of the day'. Kernts.

One from the films and show's really, but I hate when characters at a bar ask for 'a beer'.

Which f***ing beer?

Last edited:
ruler
/ˈruːlə/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
Imagine having an English teacher who was too thick to comprehend the concept of homonyms.

Mostly Facebook related but,

# more sleeps

Starting a sentence with "So"

Ending with "simples" or "simple as"

Date night

Ending a post with "be careful people" or similar

I went “can I have a coffee”
He went “milk and sugar”
I went....

Its SAID, stop saying went!!

Draw a line in the sand
Retail is detail