Everton (deduction reduced)

The last 5 seasons? That's simply because they sold players and stopped spending but this was 'after' all the big spending that has got them into the shit in the first place. The net spend from 2017/18 was £210m in the 4 following seasons to 2020/21 and the years in question are 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 aren't they?

Some of this is thor'd below and to me it looks like Everton chased the dream of Europe, spending big on player fees and wages taking the risk and hitting a wages to revenue in the 90% and failed.

Their wage bill increased hugely, chasing the dream, from the £105m in 2017 peaking at £183m in 2021.
Have reduced your post down as there was a lot there. I think some of your criticisms are fair and that's why I believe a 6 point punishment was worthy.

What I find furstrating as an Everton fan is it feels like a lot of fans from other clubs are happy to go along with the likes of Chelsea spending huge amounts of money to try and compete but not clubs like Everton.

Chelsea have a net spend over the last 5 seasons of £672m! That dwarfs the £210m you have quoted for us in the 5 year period from 2017/18 to 2021/22. So why is it OK for Chelsea to spend hundreds of millions and not Everton? We have been building a new stadium to try and compete, and it will provide a £1.3bn boost to the local economy. The new Stadium will actually provide a positive benefit not just for Everton FC but for the Country with the Euro 2028 competition and for music events for people of the North West and beyond.

We haven't done a Portsmouth where we have mismanaged the club in to administration and caused staff to lose their jobs etc.

It said on the radio the Forest and Everton ones have to be decided by April but the appeals have to have been made and decided upon by the end of May when the AGM is held.
So, we could be waiting a couple of weeks after the season finishes to see who is relegated or, they could start next season on minus.
What a mess man.
No way should anyone be starting on minus points it just fucks those that go down potentially, much like Everton appealing fucked Leicester last season
The league has to get its arse in gear as the system isn’t fit for purpose atm

Have reduced your post down as there was a lot there. I think some of your criticisms are fair and that's why I believe a 6 point punishment was worthy.

What I find furstrating as an Everton fan is it feels like a lot of fans from other clubs are happy to go along with the likes of Chelsea spending huge amounts of money to try and compete but not clubs like Everton.

Chelsea have a net spend over the last 5 seasons of £672m! That dwarfs the £210m you have quoted for us in the 5 year period from 2017/18 to 2021/22. So why is it OK for Chelsea to spend hundreds of millions and not Everton? We have been building a new stadium to try and compete, and it will provide a £1.3bn boost to the local economy. The new Stadium will actually provide a positive benefit not just for Everton FC but for the Country with the Euro 2028 competition and for music events for people of the North West and beyond.

We haven't done a Portsmouth where we have mismanaged the club in to administration and caused staff to lose their jobs etc.
Chelsea used a loophole were they spread the cost of the player over the contract, so technically legal, they also were bringing in Champions League money and at a guess much more in shirts/sponsorship/match day tickets, also add in that Chelsea have 100 youth players out on loan so if they sell one its wiped off that years figures not spread over 8 years like the purchases and any loan fees. So they may have spent more, they have done it with the loopholes and just bringing in more money so technically havent broken any rules. Like I previously said it seems unfair that Everton have been caught first but you's have also been playing a little bit with the figures and covid so probably got away with it lightly, its all happened at the worst time as the Premier League are wanting to look like they dont need independent bodies messing with them.

No way should anyone be starting on minus points it just fucks those that go down potentially, much like Everton appealing fucked Leicester last season
The league has to get its arse in gear as the system isn’t fit for purpose atm
Everton didn’t appeal last season

Also Leicester fucked themselves by appointing Dean Smith ffs also Maddison missing a penalty at 2-1 against Everton 😂

Last edited:
Nee way am I looking at all that ffs

Stick to gifs mate
Is just over a minute worth of words to read for a competent reader split between 3 images too much? Here's 4 points to consider that can take 30 seconds reading.

They spent shit loads on players, wages went up 80% in 4 seasons with huge wages to revenue %.
They could have sold players such as Richarlison earlier in 2021/22 to help finances but chose not to. They did sell Digne but still spent £30m on 2 players instead, one who played 34 games in 22/23 and another 19 games.
COVID allowed them to fiddle the huge losses given no other club lost anywhere near as much.

To sum up, they chased the dream and gambled with high player spending and wages but failed it to get into Europe and it's the fiddled COVID figures that has reduced their true losses.

Last edited:
Man City are irrelevant to this situation but yes should also be punished if found guilty, their case like Everton’s initial has not been dealt with quick enough but at this time flipping the discussion onto them is just whatsboutery

Everton have seriously benefitted both financially and competitively at the expense of others by cheating, yet their fans are the ones crying hard done to despite getting off lightly in the long run
Don't think that City have admitted to any of the charges against, so are contesting them ?
This is what has caused the delay.
Agree it should be sorted out asap, but the City charges are from over a decade ago ? Why the long delay ?
The Everton & Forest charges are over the last few years and the Premier League are now acting quicker as they are worried about the Government looking into their governance ?

Luton will be livid.

I just went to check on their forum to see what they think of it, but the layout is absolutely horrendous. Proper shit.
To be honest, most Luton fans I know are pretty pragmatic about it. I fully expected a reduction to six points which on balance, seems a fair punishment.

I actually think it's the clubs that were relegated during the period of financial breaches that have most to complain about. No other way to put it, Everton cheated and got away with it. Clubs like Leicester played by the rules and were punished for it.

The 10 points seemed fair to me. 6 is barely here or there and is hardlys a deterrent. The silly penalty is going into administration and only being docked 9. That should be way way harsher.

I wouldn’t rule that out just yet. As a business you are losing millions on a weekly basis and having to borrow from from banks and a group who probably won’t end up owning you.

Your stadium costs are sky rocketing and even that won’t be open for another 16 months.

If it looks like you will fail FFP for a 3rd year running I can see you selling a couple of your star players. Which will probably push you closer to relegation next season.

To be honest, most Luton fans I know are pretty pragmatic about it. I fully expected a reduction to six points which on balance, seems a fair punishment.

I actually think it's the clubs that were relegated during the period of financial breaches that have most to complain about. No other way to put it, Everton cheated and got away with it. Clubs like Leicester played by the rules and were punished for it.
Leicester were punished for appointing Dean Smith after Rodger’s they should’ve finished above Everton with the squad they had was better than Everton’s probably cost much more too 🙄

Only had themselves to blame their relegation wasn’t on Everton same with Leeds
I wouldn’t rule that out just yet. As a business you are losing millions on a weekly basis and having to borrow from from banks and a group who probably won’t end up owning you.

Your stadium costs are sky rocketing and even that won’t be open for another 16 months.

If it looks like you will fail FFP for a 3rd year running I can see you selling a couple of your star players. Which will probably push you closer to relegation next season.
Wolves aren’t you on brink of breaking FFP and will have to sell players in the summer ? Keep quiet lad

Last edited:

Back