[Euro 2022 Final] England v Germany - BBC1 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just point out, without sounding weird, that I really like that the winning goalscorer took off her top and ran around. Looking at the pictures of it, it feels like quite a powerful image. Not even sure i can explain why. Just seems like in the moment of huge national celebration she did something that some might be prudish about, but she showed how little it mattered, how little she cared, and that pure enjoyment was on her and her teammates faces.

I have probably explained that badly, but I just feel that that strong image is also a small, but possibly significant, side story to the evening and what it all meant
Exactly. When WF players do it, they do it for a reason and very deliberately. They don’t do it often as it’s regarded as only appropriate for the highest moments. It’s a bit of a political statement

Lucy Ward's article in today's Guardian:

And Sid Lowe's take on the day:

I said it when it happened it was a brilliant way to celebrate, the emotion of ecstasy on all their faces was a real joy to see.

it got a big roar from me which was similar when Stewart got the second in May. Privilege to watch what happened yesterday and it’s right up there in the sporting achievements in my life.

in England terms, 2003 rugby, England win t20 and 50 overs and England winning the Euros of 2022

to be in that stadium must have been unreal.

German press moaning about the "scam" of the penalty which wasn't given

"Also because the DFB women were denied a crystal-clear penalty in the 25th minute. But the British media don't want to know anything about that, don't say a word about the scene in which Captain Williamson clearly jumps the ball to her hand."

(translation from Google)

"Also because the DFB women were denied a crystal-clear penalty in the 25th minute. But the British media don't want to know anything about that, don't say a word about the scene in which Captain Williamson clearly jumps the ball to her hand."

Oh dear, never mind, they lost

Sour Krauts?

I'll get my coat.

Yea totally agree. Was watching it at a brewery taproom yesterday which had a 50/50 split of men and women. The amount of cheers (not ironic ones) and applause for the celebration felt like quite a big moment. I appreciate that it might not have had the same reception everywhere.
I was in Chaplins and some morons decided the best way to celebrate was to start chanting get your tits out for the lads, they swiftly got told to grow up.

I was in Chaplins and some morons decided the best way to celebrate was to start chanting get your tits out for the lads, they swiftly got told to grow up.
Met the Mrs in there 28 years back. Was the time when they had twin sisters working who were cross eyed

You never knew for certain if they were asking you what you wanted or someone at the other part of the bar

Last edited:
Reactions: SR7
Class that the lads who spent the weeks pre tournament saying they wouldnt be watching are now having to keep up the pretence and not get involved in the celebrations on here. :lol:
Yeah they have ruled themselves out of something pretty much the whole of the rest of the country have thoroughly enjoyed.

Might be the only time an England senior side win a major football trophy in their lifetime and they have to pretend they don't care/did not watch it etc. As someone who has been watching women's football, both live and on TV for around 12 years, its their loss.

Something has been 'rammed down their throats' but its not the women's euro's, it Karma :lol:
No golds for Germany in the Commonwealth Games either...
On the minus side no English side has ever won the German league or cup:cry:
That smashes the previous record set at the World Cup semi-final in 2019!

Just heard that on Talksport, the bloke who was reading it could barely stop laughing. :lol:

Just makes it even sweeter that the dirtiest team at the tournament went home feeling cheated.
I think you are confusing the fans in the ground and the actual German team with a journalist. We of all countries should know how journalists do not represent the population at large.

From what I saw and heard, the Germans at the game, i,e, their fans, team and backroom staff were excellent sports and were nothing but respectful.

Last edited:
I can’t find it now but did someone mention there’s the potential of a game with the South America cup winners, like that one they did with Italy and Argentina a few weeks back.

that would be fun to watch

Can I just point out, without sounding weird, that I really like that the winning goalscorer took off her top and ran around. Looking at the pictures of it, it feels like quite a powerful image. Not even sure i can explain why. Just seems like in the moment of huge national celebration she did something that some might be prudish about, but she showed how little it mattered, how little she cared, and that pure enjoyment was on her and her teammates faces.

I have probably explained that badly, but I just feel that that strong image is also a small, but possibly significant, side story to the evening and what it all meant
Bet they were quiet in 2010 when Lampard’s shot was about 2 yards owa the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back