[Euro 2022 Final] England v Germany - BBC1 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I just point out, without sounding weird, that I really like that the winning goalscorer took off her top and ran around. Looking at the pictures of it, it feels like quite a powerful image. Not even sure i can explain why. Just seems like in the moment of huge national celebration she did something that some might be prudish about, but she showed how little it mattered, how little she cared, and that pure enjoyment was on her and her teammates faces.

I have probably explained that badly, but I just feel that that strong image is also a small, but possibly significant, side story to the evening and what it all meant

Can I just point out, without sounding weird, that I really like that the winning goalscorer took off her top and ran around. Looking at the pictures of it, it feels like quite a powerful image. Not even sure i can explain why. Just seems like in the moment of huge national celebration she did something that some might be prudish about, but she showed how little it mattered, how little she cared, and that pure enjoyment was on her and her teammates faces.

I have probably explained that badly, but I just feel that that strong image is also a small, but possibly significant, side story to the evening and what it all meant

Sounds like you’re feeling guilty about having several tugs over it.

I get it. This tweet says it for me:

In the context of the first England central contracts being handed out 10 years ago and the top tier becoming fully professional only 4 years ago (yes, there were professional teams prior to this but a few semi-pro too, i.e. Sunderland) it's ridiculous that we've assembled a squad that has overhauled the European superpowers to become champions in a relatively short time. We were just treading water for a long time and only really put in place plans to succeed a decade ago and it's finally come to fruition.

Last edited:
In the context of the first England central contracts being handed out 10 years ago and the top tier becoming fully professional only 4 years ago (yes, there were professional teams prior to this but a few semi-pro too, i.e. Sunderland) it's ridiculous that we've assembled a squad that has overhauled the European superpowers to become champions in a relatively short time. We were playing just treading water for a long time and only really put in place plans to succeed a decade ago and it's finally come to fruition.
I'm of the opinion that if we hadn't won this tournament, we might not have won one for a long time, given how rapidly women's football is progressing.

The World Cup will be another step up from the Euros but if Holland can reach the final after winning the Euros, there's no reason why we can't.

Yea totally agree. Was watching it at a brewery taproom yesterday which had a 50/50 split of men and women. The amount of cheers (not ironic ones) and applause for the celebration felt like quite a big moment. I appreciate that it might not have had the same reception everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back