Eric Roy

Him and Lallandes about the same time period. Lallandes was dredful.

Laslandes, like Thomas Helmer, was real footballer and a good signing. His role was/should have been to draw defenders away from SKP.

Reid and his sidekick Thicko hadn’t a clue how to use players like that. Yes, Laslandes was a failure at Sunderland but the blame for that rests overwhelmingly with Reid.
Thirlwell !!, we have had some dross playing for us when you look back

Thirlwell was outstanding in that destruction of Chelsea. He was most certainly not dross.
The Chelsea game stands out. Him alongside Paul thirlwell absolutely bossed it.

Maybe he was too cultured for reid and saxton. They saw off thomas helmer.

This.
Roy was great for the short time we had him. Remember him playing well in that 4-1 demolition of Chelsea during the first of those 7th place finishes. Like someone else said though, Reidy would find these players then seemingly fall out with them

He was a low life who had litle real managerial competence and abused Bob Murray’s naïve trust in him,

The good teams we had played well because they gelled. Reid wasn’t a key factor, IMO.

Last edited:

Laslandes, like Thomas Helmer, was real footballer and a good signing. His role was/should have been to draw defenders away from SKP.

Reid and his sidekick Thicko hadn’t a clue how to use players like that. Yes, Laslandes was a failure at Sunderland but the blame for that rests overwhelmingly with Reid.

Thirlwell was outstanding in that destruction of Chelsea. He was most certainly not dross.

This.

He was a low life who had litle real managerial competence and abused Bob Murray’s naïve trust in him,

The good teams we had played well because they gelled. Reid wasn’t a key factor, IMO.
He was f***ing garbage man

He inherited a team in a relegation fight and won the league the next year, marra. That seems like some decent coaching and man management to me.

And in terms of scouting and buying, he was unmatched. Like the turn around under Reid from the team he inherited to the team we had in 1999 who finished the year in 4th in the league above is astonishing.

His first ever team was Tony Norman, Dariusz Kubicki, Martin Scott, Gary Bennett, Derek Ferguson, Richard Ord, Brian Atkinson, Steve Agnew, Brett Angel, Phil Gray and Martin Smith.

Within five years we'd gone to Thomas Sorensen, Chris Makin, Michael Gray, Steve Bould, Paul Butler, Alex Rae, Gavin McCann, Steven Schwarz, Nicky Summerbee, Kevin Phillips and Niall Quinn.

Reid wasn't perfect, he fell out with players too often and he struggled to replace big players late in his time here but you don't turn a club's fortune around to the extent Reid did without being quite good at your job. If anyone could do that, some other manager in my lifetime would have done and none have really come close.

He inherited a team in a relegation fight and won the league the next year, marra. That seems like some decent coaching and man management to me.

And in terms of scouting and buying, he was unmatched. Like the turn around under Reid from the team he inherited to the team we had in 1999 who finished the year in 4th in the league above is astonishing.

His first ever team was Tony Norman, Dariusz Kubicki, Martin Scott, Gary Bennett, Derek Ferguson, Richard Ord, Brian Atkinson, Steve Agnew, Brett Angel, Phil Gray and Martin Smith.

Within five years we'd gone to Thomas Sorensen, Chris Makin, Michael Gray, Steve Bould, Paul Butler, Alex Rae, Gavin McCann, Steven Schwarz, Nicky Summerbee, Kevin Phillips and Niall Quinn.

Reid wasn't perfect, he fell out with players too often and he struggled to replace big players late in his time here but you don't turn a club's fortune around to the extent Reid did without being quite good at your job. If anyone could do that, some other manager in my lifetime would have done and none have really come close.

Reid came here, kept us up in the Championship, got us promoted and then immediately relegated in 1996/97. It was two years later that we were again promoted. That was a major achievement but I don’t recall us finishing fourth in the Premier League at any time.

We had two successive 7th place finishes: 1999/2000 and 2000/2001. They were the peak of his Premier League efforts. I wouldn’t argue that some good stuff didn’t happen under him but I think that had much more to do with happenstance, with having a near ideal squad at that conjuncture, than with him Bobby Saxton,

Some of his “management“ was flaky to say the least…his handling of Thomas Helmer and the much-maligned Laslandes and Flo, for example, and his extremely poor stewardship of young talents like Thirlwell, Michael Reddy and Thomas Butler.

I guess you recall the appalling venom directed at Reid when it all started to go pear-shaped with declining form, poor signings and, even, suspicions about his financial probity…you must remember the choruses of “Hey Reidy, we want know where the money’s gone” swirling round the ground.

I was totally opposed to the relentless witch-hunts against Reid and Bob Murray, much of it emanating from certain individuals on THIS message board but I can’t help feeling that once his managerial deficiencies had been so cruelly exposed he brought it on himself.

He was found wanting, bereft of a response and his managerial ideas cupboard was bare. He was branded a “dinosaur“ but, ironically, what replaced him was a succession of dinosaura.

Last edited:

Back