Eric Roy

I remember thinking we should have converted him to be a central defender. He was good at reading the game & could tackle but wasn't mobile enough to be a consistently good midfielder at the speed English football is played.

He was slick on the ball mind... to be fair Reidy had an eye for a midfield player:

* Lee Clark
* Schwarz
* Reyna
* Roy
* McCann
* Alex Rae & Hutch although more attacking players

Also changed Julio from a full/wing back to a winger.

Though still can't forgive him for signing Kilbane 😡
Good point, Reidy knew a midfielder

He was unreal against Chelsea in the 4-1 home win, I was only 11 at the time but remember he seemed to run and control the game, sure he got an assist for Quinny. Unfortunately for me dad he had the snip the day before so missed that game and performance, me grandad had to take me and me brother, some game and team that was!

He was slick on the ball mind... to be fair Reidy had an eye for a midfield player:

* Lee Clark
* Schwarz
* Reyna
* Roy
* McCann

Halcyon days indeed, used to go to the match expecting us to give anyone a game, now we go expecting to get beat off Burton.:(

Halcyon days indeed, used to go to the match expecting us to give anyone a game, now we go expecting to get beat off Burton.:(

It's mental looking at the list... even our longest stint in the prem just gone weren't really blessed with good box to box or ball playing central midfielders.

As decent as Cats was at what he did we really lacked a composed ball playing midfielder.

* Lee Clark
* Schwarz
* Reyna
* Roy
* McCann

All decent, but that team was built on 2 wingers and Phillips/Quinn. Central midfield could have been anybody and they would have looked decent.

He was canny. Nothing amazing, but perfectly good enough for us at that time.

For some reason though, the SMB decided he was the best player ever about 3 years after he left.

He was unreal against Chelsea in the 4-1 home win, I was only 11 at the time but remember he seemed to run and control the game, sure he got an assist for Quinny. Unfortunately for me dad he had the snip the day before so missed that game and performance, me grandad had to take me and me brother, some game and team that was!
I THINK THIS WAS THE GAME WHERE HE PLAYED TWO QUICK SIMPLE SHORT FORWARD PASSES THAT ABSOLUTELY WRONG FOOTED CHELSEA DEFENCE AND LED TO TWO GOALS

* Lee Clark
* Schwarz
* Reyna
* Roy
* McCann

Had an eye for a midfielder?

half is those players are established top flight players.

doesn’t really take a keen eye to identify former arsenal star andSwedish international Stefan Schwartz.

The only unknown quantity was Roy and he bombed him out quick enough

Was a bit of a Jan Molby, couldn't move but was class with his vision. Not Reidy's type of player.

I remember he used to get in Springs and he was an absolutely machine of the treadmill, like the Duracell bunny. IIRC his missus was very tidy.

Back