Eric Roy

I've no idea if Laslandes was any good or not. All I can say is that he was terrible at being a Niall Quinn impersonator.
He was never a replacement for SNQ, he was more of a footballer than a player you lumped the ball up to.
Chelsea 20 years ago tomorrow seems like centuries now!
The best 1st half of football I've ever seen from us. Was like watching Brazil :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I could have sworn we paid £1m for him and he was our record signing? I even remember the old SAFC magazine having him on the cover as 'The million pound man' or something.

I'm probably talking shite.

Not exactly shite 😄
Just had a look , he has been a free transfer his whole career, only 1 club paid for him...guess who ?
Though it was only 250,000 ...
So the "quarter million pound man" it might have been :)

Had an eye for a midfielder?

half is those players are established top flight players.

doesn’t really take a keen eye to identify former arsenal star andSwedish international Stefan Schwartz.

The only unknown quantity was Roy and he bombed him out quick enough

McCann was relatively young and signed for low fee from Everton in a deal with Oster.

I'd also hardly say Clark was an established PL player at the mags (although not much scouting needed with him being up the road)

Arca (although played wide) was unknown at the time.

Can’t remember that much about him. Seemed to remember he wasn’t the quickest but a very decent football for what we paid for him( wasn’t he a free?) Head and shoulders above what we have now. Could certainly pass the ball ok.What’s other people’s memories of him?
Dancing through the Chelsea midfield and defence when we put them to the sword in 45 glorious minutes.

Always went on at least one mazy run per game. Never looked comfortable doing so but somehow managed to beat players by generally looking clumsy.

Just think of all of the perfectly competent footballers we have groaned and shaken our heads at over the years that we would now be delighted to have in the team.

Half time down on the concourse was absolutely mental, it was absolutely bouncing yet at the same time there was a air of disbelief at what was happening.
HT was the only time ive ever been convinced we could do a Leicester and threaten to win the league. Went a bit south after Xmas, but was best season of supporting us.

He was a class act like. He could read the game better than anyone. Reidy used to phone him for advice anarl - after he'd got rid!

He was just past his best when he came to us, bit like Jim Baxter, but still showed his class. Wish we'd seen him a couple of years earlier. He tells a cracking story of the day he and his family moved into their house in CLS(?).

Back