Enlarged prostrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father in law had that and it turned out to be bad news. Had to have it removed. The good news is its very slow growing (if it's something sinister) and the docs reckoned he had had it more than twenty five years. Hope in this case all is well, which it probably is.
See that makes me think I should get checked out based on how often I seem to need to piss.

Right well now it's determined it's okay to have a joke, the truth is emptying ones balls regularly is actually a really good way of preventing this (fact). The bad news is most men are married. The good news is most men are wankers.

See that makes me think I should get checked out based on how often I seem to need to piss.

Very first sign is ache in the lower part of your back, which often goes unnoticed.

If you're pissing all the time that is a sign, unless you've always been like that. Or unless of cause you're just drinking loads or are cold.

Last edited:
I started taking these about a month ago mate and they have made a huge difference but I still have the odd day when I piss loads.
I've always been ok during the day but at night I used to pee up to four tmes, now its down to one. Definitely works imho

My Dad had something similar in his early 80s. We were told not to worry it wasn't going to be fatal - but the Parkinson's would be! Charming way of putting it.

I'm off for a scan and biopsy on Monday. Had the finger test at my GP's and all was well but the blood test came back a bit high. Can't say I'm not a bit worried but I suppose if it is anything bad we'll have caught it early enough (I'm 59).

Alan Bennett has a good story about the DRE (digital rectal examination). He's lying curled up on the couch with the doctor's finger having a good root around. "Well, there's nothing of interest up here," says the doctor from behind him, "but it's always nice to see you."

@janey Prostate cancer is often viewed in relative terms. Pretty much all men at 79 will have what would be considered prostate cancer if it was presented in a 40 year old. The prostate changes around the age of 30 and then starts to get bigger slowly over time. I had mine checked with a camera up the todger at the age of 29, and they told me at that point I had a lot of prostate for my age, so I have to keep an eye on it.

Your dad is at the sort of age where if that growing has been going on for some time, there might be some temporary problems that warrant investigation, and it is worth checking if there is any malignancy that could spread elsewhere. When you are younger you can get infections of the prostate and it is an irritation, but when you are older, inflammation of the prostate can be enough for it to swell and block the pipes that let you urinate. That is why when you go into a urology ward you will often see a few old men who have been brought in to have catheters fitted because they are simply unable to go.

Sometimes the natural growth of the prostate is enough that it in itself blocks the pipe, and they have to have some form of intervention to reduce the amount of benign material that is there. In the past they would often remove it entirely, which had an impact on impotence and urinary incontinence. In the last few years there has been a move towards methods that reduce size of the prostate. They have a way they can blast and burn away the prostate with electrical charges. Even where there is cancer they have methods where they can often avoid radical surgical intervention.

Last edited:
I'm off for a scan and biopsy on Monday. Had the finger test at my GP's and all was well but the blood test came back a bit high. Can't say I'm not a bit worried but I suppose if it is anything bad we'll have caught it early enough (I'm 59).

Alan Bennett has a good story about the DRE (digital rectal examination). He's lying curled up on the couch with the doctor's finger having a good root around. "Well, there's nothing of interest up here," says the doctor from behind him, "but it's always nice to see you."
Yeah me dads had the blood test and his came back a bit high too. I hope it goes well on a Monday

@janey Prostate cancer is often viewed in relative terms. Pretty much all men at 79 will have what would be considered prostate cancer if it was presented in a 40 year old. The prostate changes around the age of 30 and then starts to get bigger slowly over time. I had mine checked with a camera up the todger at the age of 29, and they told me at that point I had a lot of prostate for my age, so I have to keep an eye on it.

Your dad is at the sort of age where if that growing has been going on for some time, there might be some temporary problems that warrant investigation, and it is worth checking if there is any malignancy that could spread elsewhere. When you are younger you can get infections of the prostate and it is an irritation, but when you are older, inflammation of the prostate can be enough for it to swell and block the pipes that let you urinate. That is why when you go into a urology ward you will often see a few old men who have been brought in to have catheters fitted because they are simply unable to go.

Sometimes the natural growth of the prostate is enough that it in itself blocks the pipe, and they have to have some form of intervention to reduce the amount of benign material that is there. In the past they would often remove it entirely, which had an impact on impotence and urinary incontinence. In the last few years there has been a move towards methods that reduce size of the prostate. They have a way they can blast and burn away the prostate with electrical charges. Even where there is cancer they have methods where they avoid surgical intervention.
Thank you for that and for taking the time, I appreciate it x

Thank you for that and for taking the time, I appreciate it x

I think the problem with most people with prostate issues is that they put off going to the doctor. Getting referred for the scan is the best next step. When he goes he will most likely find that he will be in a waiting room of people the same age with similar issues. If he is having a camera up the todger it will be a couple of minutes of discomfort for them to get a very good picture of what is happening.

I think the problem with most people with prostate issues is that they put off going to the doctor. Getting referred for the scan is the best next step. When he goes he will most likely find that he will be in a waiting room of people the same age with similar issues. If he is having a camera up the todger it will be a couple of minutes of discomfort for them to get a very good picture of what is happening.
I think he's gone to the doctor quite quickly, and he has his scan 8th March so at least we don't have to wait too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back