cook
Strauss
Trott
Kp
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Freddy

all these off the top of my head playing at the same and a similar time was just brilliant to watch

swings and roundabouts we will be there again
Your absolutely right, but forget the last Test selection and looking in the past. Our top players are as good as anyone on their day…let’s drop 7 and pick from Bairstow, Stokes, Woakes, Curren, Archer, Butler, Malan, Ali and dare I even say Roy (perhaps not) and it’s a side that can be more than competitive. Darren Stevens genuinely would have done a better job than the so called younguns at the last Test. Even Hales offers more than the mentally weak in this England team.

Your absolutely right, but forget the last Test selection and looking in the past. Our top players are as good as anyone on their day…let’s drop 7 and pick from Bairstow, Stokes, Woakes, Curren, Archer, Butler, Malan, Ali and dare I even say Roy (perhaps not) and it’s a side that can be more than competitive. Darren Stevens genuinely would have done a better job than the so called younguns at the last Test. Even Hales offers more than the mentally weak in this England team.
Hales failed as a test cricketer. And barely plays red ball stuff these days.

It’s a totally different game

Yeah. It’s that simple Daniel
Imagine if it was we would have Jimmy and broad keeping the rr in t20 below 6.
Buttler playing tonight again
Imagine if it was we would have Jimmy and broad keeping the rr in t20 below 6.
Buttler playing tonight again
Ignore me im smashed after a day of the cricket yesterday and footie today I’ve realised I’m watching cricket from the 9th time for bed for this one

Last edited:
Hales failed as a test cricketer. And barely plays red ball stuff these days.

It’s a totally different game
I mentioned 7 cricketers who could unquestioanbly do a better job and you mentioned Hales. As an international cricketer Hales has a mental toughness than at least a couple of these powder puff county cricketers.

I mentioned 7 cricketers who could unquestioanbly do a better job and you mentioned Hales. As an international cricketer Hales has a mental toughness than at least a couple of these powder puff county cricketers.
Of the ones you mentioned, several are unavailable due to IPL (which is nonsense) or injured (Stokes and Archer)

Malan is a good shout, will probably get a chance
Bairstow and Ali have been rubbish in red ball stuff for a few years

Bairstow and Ali have not been rubbish, but I would say below par. The new selections have been poor. As cricketers Bairstow and Ali are a better choice over a long term than any of the newbies in the last Test.

My point about the other quality players was not their unavailability, but more, let’s not press the panic button and say we are rubbish.

I dont think so. Purely on the basis that we don't have a logical replacement. The coach however will be under big pressure if we, as I think most of us expect, get a kicking from aus and india.

The team is regressing under him.
Tend to agree. He was an odd pick at the time and born out of the ECB's obsession with appointing an English coach
Maybe some perspective, that’s the first home series we have lost since 2014.
Against a very good side with our best player missing

Last edited:
Any suggestions that Root's captaincy is at threat? Trying to remember the last time a England captain was sacked for cricketing reasons. Alec Stewart?
I am disappointed with Root’s captaincy in fact I read an article on cricinfo the other day written by Ian Chappell criticising him. Chappell is knowledgeable about captains and not afraid to criticise Aussie captains neither.

He doesn’t have a great team but he doesn’t shuffle the bowlers well or set challenging fields. He needs to get in Silverwoods ear and select him a few players with some fight in them.

Back