England v New Zealand (2nd test)

There’s been a lot made of the batting and rightly so, but let’s not forget as well NZ were given roughly 150 runs from dropped catches - pretty much the difference between being 80 in front instead of 80 behind. All symptomatic of the lack of discipline within the team.

Root must have presided over a few absolute thrashings now, He doesn’t come across as a very inspirational captain except with his batting and that’s been up and down since he became captain

Wasn’t he our 2nd highest run scorer this series, he’s a limited opener but at least he contributes. The openers weren’t the issue this series
One of the sub-plots of this mini-series has been orthodoxy v unorthodoxy. New Zealand are classical in every way, placing an emphasis on traditional disciplines (du Grandhomme's do maybe notwithstanding). In contrast, we have some zany looking batsmen and our fielding has been poor.

Root must have presided over a few absolute thrashings now, He doesn’t come across as a very inspirational captain except with his batting and that’s been up and down since he became captain

I think the captaincy has taken away a lot of Joe Root’s best characteristics as a batsman. I think he could have been one of the all time greats with the burden of captaincy.

I don’t mind losing to New Zealand was drinking with a few of their boys last night in Birmingham, good sporting players good set of fans handled themselves brilliant in the World Cup

They were brilliant on the train up from Euston. Auld gannie got on at Leighton Buzzard and the first thing one of them did was jump up and offer her his seat. Good crack anarl.

He has an early 90's temperament to captaining- slow, attritional, orthodox, risk averse- which works with neither the team he leads or the general contemporary Test trends.

31 average in home tests since that Windies defeat in 2017
I think the captaincy has taken away a lot of Joe Root’s best characteristics as a batsman. I think he could have been one of the all time greats with the burden of captaincy.
I'd not be adverse in giving Burns the job short term for the Ashes

Last edited:
when I look back a few years we have been very lucky

cook
Strauss
Trott
Kp
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Freddy

all these off the top of my head playing at the same and a similar time was just brilliant to watch

swings and roundabouts we will be there again

Back