England v New Zealand (2nd test)

Modern day Mike atherton, nice bloke but never going to inspire anyone and will lose as many as he wins, prefer a ruthless arrogant wanker type like waugh or G smith

I think that’s harsh on Atherton. He began a process of transforming a complete basket case into something like a professional outfit.
31 average in home tests since that Windies defeat in 2017

I'd not be adverse in giving Burns the job short term for the Ashes

Tin hat on, but if we were looking for stop gap appointments I’d be looking to a certain Irishman….

Tbf a woman with that intelligence is a keeper..not a wicketkeeper ..massive waddage.
I think that’s harsh on Atherton. He began a process of transforming a complete basket case into something like a professional outfit.

Tin hat on, but if we were looking for stop gap appointments I’d be looking to a certain Irishman….
Gooch started it before that but he was in the same mould.

He can't play the short ball in tests, if he could it wouldn't be the worst shout.

What about Hameed to open again? Not sure how he’s been doing for Notts but still has credit in the bank from last time he played for England (a long time ago admittedly)

What about Hameed to open again? Not sure how he’s been doing for Notts but still has credit in the bank from last time he played for England (a long time ago admittedly)
He's been playing well for Notts. The trouble is he and his coaches are constantly fannying about with his technique and no doubt Thorpe and co would too

Exactly what I've said for years.... Show some respect to red ball cricket. We are a bang average test side and the talent pool is very shallow due to the neglect of the red ball game. Can't see it changing anytime soon whilst they attempt to create an obsession with The Hundred. These red ball cricketers are obsessed now with one day/T20 styles in red ball cricket and it's horrendous to watch. It is what it is I guess but I find England to be a very average test side.
You really talk some tosh, other countries do fine with accommodating other forms of the game.

True, but England's management have disregarded the red ball game in the First Class calendar. It's pretty obvious what their priorities are. ;)
Think that's a key difference. Batsmen for several seasons now playing at the margins of the season when conditions not always great. Too easy then for mindset to become 'I might as well hit out before I get out'. Simon Doull saying NZ decided years ago to improve their wickets to encourage better batting and force bowlers to work for wickets. Not as simple as all that but must be part of the equation.

when I look back a few years we have been very lucky

cook
Strauss
Trott
Kp
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Freddy

all these off the top of my head playing at the same and a similar time was just brilliant to watch

swings and roundabouts we will be there again
And don’t forget Tress

Back