England squad suprises

Anyway, just to refer people to this. Above quote is confirmation that The Rat thinks county cricketers would play in the IPL for their air fare alone.

As it's the best tournament in the world.

No for the same money they get paid in the CC, I''ve said that a million times

can keep f***ing lying if it makes you feel better though

Don’t challenge him, he’s always right. And you’re always wrong and talking nonsense

He really doesn’t like it when you point out him being wrong.

How has he pointed him out me being wrong? :lol::confused::confused:

The experience,quality of the competition and playing with the best players in the world is definitely a factor imo, but the money definitely is anarl mind!

Probably

I reckon every single Durham player would go for the same money they are on here

Why wouldn't you?

Cricket experience of your life.

No it wasn't.

So you won't accept players leaving the IPL to play in the County Championship, you won't accept players turning down IPL contracts to play domestically and you won't accept England players refusing to put themselves forward for auction in order to (prepare for and then) play in the County Championship, and you're sticking by your point that: "Nobody and I mean nobody is going to turn down a IPL contract to play county championship"

As someone once said: You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Who has turned down an IPL contract?

Last edited:
Bit gutted Modern isn't in like. I appreciate why he isn't. Just saying. Hope a break will do him good and he comes back stronger like Root did.

i think bowling in t20 is tougher than tests.

getting smashed all around the ground, compared to bowling on day five of a test, with a wearing pitch and four around the bat

we took crane to Australia, with zero experience and he was thrashed all over the park.

a similar thing happened to scotty borthwick, who will never get another game.

Imo Rashid is a proven wicket taker at odi/t20 international level, but we will never know as he was never given an opportunity to play a test in england

Spot on carty.

I've answered that about 5 times, absolutely, its the best tournament in the world. Can't believe you think people just want to play in it for the money

You think if Chris Rushworth got the chance to play in it he would turn it down. No chance man

Fair enough, not for me, I want him in the the top 6, there aren't 5 better batsman in Englan than Ben Stokes.

If it's the best tournament in the world how come it doesn't have all the top players?

Last edited:
Bit gutted Modern isn't in like. I appreciate why he isn't. Just saying. Hope a break will do him good and he comes back stronger like Root did.

Spot on carty.

If it's the best tournament in the world how come it doesn't have all the top players?

Which top players have not gone who were offered like?

It's the best non international tournament by a country mile, and arguably the best tournament full stop.

Which top players have not gone who were offered like?

It's the best non international tournament by a country mile, and arguably the best tournament full stop.

Sorry mate if not everyone is drawn to Satan's spawn.

But how can you call it the best tournament when it excludes a section of society?

I'm sorry like. But I won't support such Un cricket like behaviour.

Sorry mate if not everyone is drawn to Satan's spawn.

But how can you call it the best tournament when it excludes a section of society?

I'm sorry like. But I won't support such Un cricket like behaviour.

The entertainment value alone, dwarfs any other cricket tournament imo, and the viewing figures back that up,

I have watched most matches this season, and the quality and the amount of close finishes has been brilliant to watch.

What always confuses me, is that cricket fans have always wanted to watch the best players and have always wanted and enjoyed close tense finishes ,the IPL gives you that in spade loads soo what's not too like!

Last edited:

Hardly marra.

How come it doesn't have anyone from the number 1 ranked T20 team then?

Anyone who supports the IPL are also promoting the apartheid the BCCI are committing. It's just not cricket.

Kholi, de Villiers Williamson it does have the world's best

See post above mate.

The entertainment value alone, dwarfs any other cricket tournament imo, and the viewing figures back that up,

I have watched most matches this season, and the quality and the amount of close finishes has been brilliant to watch.

What always confuses me, is that cricket fans have always wanted to watch the best players and have always wanted and enjoyed close tense finishes ,the IPL gives you that in spade loads soo what's not too like!

Not disputing that mate. But cricket has instilled principles and discipline that forbid me to support such a regime or tournament.

I'm not sure if your missing my point on purpose marra. How can it be such a good thing if it marginalises a section of the cricket fraternity into oblivion? The cricketing world is small already. Why not let Pakistanis sup from the money well too?

Last edited:
Hardly marra.

How come it doesn't have anyone from the number 1 ranked T20 team then?

Anyone who supports the IPL are also promoting the apartheid the BCCI are committing. It's just not cricket.

See post above mate.

Not disputing that mate. But cricket has instilled principles and discipline that forbid me to support such a regime or tournament.

I'm not sure if your missing my point on purpose marra. How can it be such a good thing if it marginalises a section of the cricket fraternity into oblivion? The cricketing world is small already. Why not let Pakistanis sup from the money well too?

Well that's fair enough and a different argument altogether,was not missing your point on purpose, as you have just made it clear on the above post, and tbh can 100% see your point.

Well that's fair enough and a different argument altogether,was not missing your point on purpose, as you have just made it clear on the above post, and tbh can 100% see your point.

Fair enough mate.

That's what I like about the cricket forum. We can talk and debate with differing opinions without the histrionics. A similar conversation wouldve looked very different on pure football I'm sure lol.

I just feel we could be doing a lot more to heal the wounds of a family dispute. After all are we not considered the father of cricket? By not saying owt we are legitimising the bcci's actions. All in my opinion of course.

India have no problems trading with Pakistan. An analysis, carried out on the basis of a survey conducted in India and Dubai, estimates trade to be USD 4.71 billion. Of this, India's exports to Pakistan are estimated to be USD 3.99 billion and imports from Pakistan USD 0.72 billion.

So I'm not sure I'm getting the reason Bcci give for their exclusion? Pakistanis are not banned from entering India. So why are they not allowed to play in the IPL?

Fair enough mate.

That's what I like about the cricket forum. We can talk and debate with differing opinions without the histrionics. A similar conversation wouldve looked very different on pure football I'm sure lol.

I just feel we could be doing a lot more to heal the wounds of a family dispute. After all are we not considered the father of cricket? By not saying owt we are legitimising the bcci's actions. All in my opinion of course.

India have no problems trading with Pakistan. An analysis, carried out on the basis of a survey conducted in India and Dubai, estimates trade to be USD 4.71 billion. Of this, India's exports to Pakistan are estimated to be USD 3.99 billion and imports from Pakistan USD 0.72 billion.

So I'm not sure I'm getting the reason Bcci give for their exclusion? Pakistanis are not banned from entering India. So why are they not allowed to play in the IPL?

Yeah absolutely fair enough mate, as I say because I am a big fan of the entertainment on show and think it's the best cricket entertainment on show, I was slow to pick up your point, which like I say is difficult to disagree with in any way.

Who has turned down an IPL contract?

IPL 2018: Kusal Perera turns down Sunrisers Hyderabad offer as David Warner's replacement, says report | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

I haven't seen a single ball of it this year so I can't comment on this specific tournament, but generally speaking I find the T20 slogging a bit dull after a while. I like to see a contest between bat and ball, and that has been removed from this version of the game. And I'm not bothered if it goes 70, 80 or 90 metres or if some gonk in branded merch completes a "crowd catch".

Also, I'm just not invested in two teams of mercenaries playing for different sides ever other year. It holds the same level of interest to me and the Soccer Aid game at Old Trafford next week.

So that's what's not to like, for me anyway.

Last edited:
IPL 2018: Kusal Perera turns down Sunrisers Hyderabad offer as David Warner's replacement, says report | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

I haven't seen a single ball of it this year so I can't comment on this specific tournament, but generally speaking I find the T20 slogging a bit dull after a while. I like to see a contest between bat and ball, and that has been removed from this version of the game. And I'm not bothered if it goes 70, 80 or 90 metres or if some gonk in branded merch completes a "crowd catch".

Also, I'm just not invested in two teams of mercenaries playing for different sides ever other year. It holds the same level of interest to me and the Soccer Aid game at Old Trafford next week.

So that's what's not to like, for me anyway.

Well for start the team playing the best cricket and top of the league is the best bowling side by a long way, the skill level and the ability of the spinners is and has been massive.

It's not just about slogging it's about the timing,assessing each wicket and the conditions and shot selection, for example Williamson and Buttler have been exceptional at this.

You will always get the big shots, but as I have said before that has always got fans off their seats in every form of the game, for as long as I remember and as I said before cricket fans have always enjoyed close finishes and pressure situations and they has been boatloads this year.

Top top entertainment

Just my opinion but I see the IPL, as watching a end to end 4 4 draw in football, where some test matches especially in the sub continent are boring 0 0 nil nil draws.

Also test matches nowadays more than ever are totally uneven as soo heavily in favour of the home team and their conditions.

Last edited:
Well for start the team playing the best cricket and top of the league is the best bowling side by a long way, the skill level and the ability of the spinners is and has been massive.

It's not just about slogging it's about the timing,assessing each wicket and the conditions and shot selection, for example Williamson and Buttler have been exceptional at this.

You will always get the big shots, but as I have said before that has always got fans off their seats in every form of the game, for as long as I remember and as I said before cricket fans have always enjoyed close finishes and pressure situations and they has been boatloads this year.

Top top entertainment

Just my opinion but I see the IPL, as watching a end to end 4 4 draw in football, where some test matches especially in the sub continent are boring 0 0 nil nil draws.

Also test matches nowadays more than ever are totally uneven as soo heavily in favour of the home team and their conditions.

It has a fraction of the tactics and nuance of the red ball game. People like it, that's fine, but it's very dull to me. I prefer cricket.

Just my opinion, but I see T20 as two teams playing 5 a side.

You get more pressure in a close Test match than has ever occurred in any T20 game ever played. Donald v Atherton, Flintoff v Ponting, Curtley v Gooch, Waqar v Sachin, these are contests which T20 simply cannot match. And you're talking like there aren't blow-outs in T20, I think you're lying to yourself a little bit. Just a quick scroll through the results for the last week or shows most of the games weren't even close.

It has a fraction of the tactics and nuance of the red ball game. People like it, that's fine, but it's very dull to me. I prefer cricket.

Just my opinion, but I see T20 as two teams playing 5 a side.

You get more pressure in a close Test match than has ever occurred in any T20 game ever played. Donald v Atherton, Flintoff v Ponting, Curtley v Gooch, Waqar v Sachin, these are contests which T20 simply cannot match. And you're talking like there aren't blow-outs in T20, I think you're lying to yourself a little bit. Just a quick scroll through the results for the last week or shows most of the games weren't even close.

Well yes over 56 games all are not going to be close,but a large percentage have been.

What has been a big telling point is those both playing the game and the pundits (ex players) seem to have nothing but excitement and postive things to say about the IPL, almost every English player who has been there comes back with positive things to say.

As much as the above you quoted were of course exceptional to watch, Steve Waugh standing up to Ambrose was another one, but some of those were basically one over, or at best a few overs, excitement in test matches does of course happen, but in T20 the excitement happens a lot more frequently.

How many close test matches do you get? Very few imo.

What is telling like I say is home advantage, it is just too much of a advantage, and on a lot of a occasions soo is winning the toss.

You could get the excact same 22 players for a test matchs between say South Africa and India and depending which country that is played at, you will get a large percentage winning result to the home side, so as well as less entertainment imo, you have a more predictable result.

In one day cricket and T20 home advantage and winning the toss has less bearing on the match.

Last edited:
Well yes over 56 games all are not going to be close,but a large percentage have been.

What has been a big telling point is those both playing the game and the pundits (ex players) seem to have nothing but excitement and postive things to say about the IPL, almost every English player who has been there comes back with positive things to say.

As much as the above you quoted were of course exceptional to watch, Steve Waugh standing up to Ambrose was another one, but some of those were basically one over, or at best a few overs, excitement in test matches does of course happen, but in T20 the excitement happens a lot more frequently.

How many close test matches do you get? Very few imo.

What is telling like I say is home advantage, it is just too much of a advantage, and on a lot of a occasions soo is winning the toss.

You could get the excact same 22 players for a test matchs between say South Africa and India and depending which country that is played at, you will get a large percentage winning result to the home side, so as well as less entertainment imo, you have a more predictable result.

In one day cricket and T20 home advantage and winning the toss has less bearing on the match.

Quite a few and then loads of games within a game, and that's what makes Test cricket so great. But that's elevating IPL to a level it doesn't deserve, the correct comparison would be the CC, and Durham's last two games have been absolute belters. As I said, I haven't watched any IPL and just looking at the scores, all but 1 or 2 games in the last week or so have been blow-outs. And saying "excitement happens a lot more frequently" is just your opinion (and you have a self-confessed dislike of cricket), in the opinion of many others it's the other way round.

I'm sure everyone loves the IPL, good on them, and I'm sure nobody is paid to over-enthusiastic about it and every single social media post gushing with praise is completely genuine. "Tweet something like"......

Quite a few and then loads of games within a game, and that's what makes Test cricket so great. But that's elevating IPL to a level it doesn't deserve, the correct comparison would be the CC, and Durham's last two games have been absolute belters. As I said, I haven't watched any IPL and just looking at the scores, all but 1 or 2 games in the last week or so have been blow-outs. And saying "excitement happens a lot more frequently" is just your opinion (and you have a self-confessed dislike of cricket), in the opinion of many others it's the other way round.

I'm sure everyone loves the IPL, good on them, and I'm sure nobody is paid to over-enthusiastic about it and every single social media post gushing with praise is completely genuine. "Tweet something like"......

I have not got a self dislike of cricket,have watched and played it all my life and positive players like say Gilchrist will always be better to watch than say Hameed imo.

Because imo positive players is what the majority want to see, from international through to county and club level.

I think the viewing figures in India for the IPL as opposed to a India test match suggest otherwise to your view

Not really sure how you can say I am elevating the IPL to status it doesn’t deserve when you are admitting not watching it!!

Last edited:
I have not got a self dislike of cricket,have watched and played it all my life and positive players like say Gilchrist will always be better to watch than say Hameed imo.

Because imo positive players is what the majority want to see, from international through to county and club level.

I think the viewing figures in India for the IPL as opposed to a India test match suggest otherwise to your view

Not really sure how you can say I am elevating the IPL to status it doesn’t deserve when you are admitting not watching it!!

You've said a few times that you find players like Hameed boring, so a dislike of many facets of the game is what I should have said.

You're comparing IPL to Tests. It is not an international competition, and you should be comparing IPL to other domestic competitions such as the CC/T20 Blast or the Big Bash/Sheffield Shield. I thought that was pretty straightforward and I'm not sure what difference it would make if I was watching.

Back