England squad suprises

It was Johnson's, not sure what happened to the technology there!

And he wanted to play so he handed back the money and came home. He could have stayed out there and picked up the cheques but he wanted to put himself in the shop window for the Test team. I'm not sure what else you want. And in the past we've had Anderson and Broad (and loads of others) who've turned down the IPL. This year Danesh Perera turned down the IPL to play domestically in Sri Lanka and fight for his Test place.

So when you said "Nobody and I mean nobody is going to turn down a IPL contract to play county championship" you meant apart from the ones who have.

Soo he didn't turn down the IPL to play in the county championship did he, he went first then came back for one game!

Soo he didn't turn down the IPL to play in the county championship did he, he went first then came back for one game!

Well yes he did. He could have stayed, but he decided to leave in order to play in the County Championship.

Even if you don't accept that point, I notice you're not mentioning Broad, Anderson, Root etc etc etc

all about opinions though

Hasn't been anyone in the CC averaging 100 or so like Ballance and Bairstow did to get called up.

I get that, but I just think don't diminish your strengths to make up for weaknesses

As I said in other posts, if there was an absolute outstanding candidate averaging 100 then fair enough, but for me I think that top 6 is just about right, and if you are looking for a number 7, why not Buttler, IMO anyway

Also on a different point, its interesting how perceptions of players make such a big difference. Malan and Stoneman averaging almost identically the same, yet Malan is seen as a success and Stoneman "needs runs"

I jusy think Buttler is worth ago like, sometimes you take a risk, if it doesn't work out, no big deal, we try someone else.

It's about making game changing knocks, which Malam did once in the very toughest of conditions. He's also in form, whereas Stoneman clearly isn't at county level.

But truth be told I don't think he'll be in there long either. Practically admitted he struggles with the swinging ball and prefers Australian conditions... Which would be fine but for the fact he has to play at least 50% of his tests here.

It's about making game changing knocks, which Malam did once in the very toughest of conditions. He's also in form, whereas Stoneman clearly isn't at county level.

But truth be told I don't think he'll be in there long either. Practically admitted he struggles with the swinging ball and prefers Australian conditions... Which would be fine but for the fact he has to play at least 50% of his tests here.

To an extent, he had one 100 basically, other than that was just solid at times, no more. I just think Rocky is being a bit harshly judged by. Other senior players in the same time period are averaging similar

I agree about Malan, looked very tentative in England, looks like a player who needs to trust the pitch and the bounce, better suited to quicker pitches

Malan has probably got all summer so should reflect on this and relax. I'd give Stoneman another 3 tests before thinking about replacing him. Buttler is a strange pick but given a remit to go out there and smash it, it might work. An hour of Buttler could change the game. You could say the same about Hales and Roy though.

I've answered that about 5 times, absolutely, its the best tournament in the world. Can't believe you think people just want to play in it for the money

You think if Chris Rushworth got the chance to play in it he would turn it down. No chance man

Fair enough, not for me, I want him in the the top 6, there aren't 5 better batsman in Englan than Ben Stokes.

You really think professional cricketers would play in the IPL for their air fare alone?

Fuck me, you think Steak is naive?

He could've stayed and picked up his pay packet...... He chose to come home and fight for his Test place. Steak is right.

Last edited:
Well yes he did. He could have stayed, but he decided to leave in order to play in the County Championship.

Even if you don't accept that point, I notice you're not mentioning Broad, Anderson, Root etc etc etc

Surely you accept the only reason he came back was because he was not getting picked for his IPL side, he said that himself!

Don't accept the point about the other players at all, because they did not turn down the IPL to prove themselves in the county championship, they were already established internationals.

Which was what the original post was about, Buttler was never going to turn down the IPL to try and prove himself in the county championship.

You really think professional cricketers would play in the IPL for their air fare alone?

He could've stayed and picked up his pay packet...... He chose to come home and fight for his Test place. Steak is right.

Only because he was not getting picked for his IPL side, he has said that himself, he thought seen as I am not playing cricket as may as well go back.if he was getting picked he would have stayed there until possibly selected for the test side.

Last edited:
Surely you accept the only reason he came back was because he was not getting picked for his IPL side, he said that himself!

Don't accept the point about the other players at all, because they did not turn down the IPL to prove themselves in the county championship, they were already established internationals.

Which was what the original post was about, Buttler was never going to turn down the IPL to try and prove himself in the county championship.

No it wasn't.

So you won't accept players leaving the IPL to play in the County Championship, you won't accept players turning down IPL contracts to play domestically and you won't accept England players refusing to put themselves forward for auction in order to (prepare for and then) play in the County Championship, and you're sticking by your point that: "Nobody and I mean nobody is going to turn down a IPL contract to play county championship"

As someone once said: You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

So you won't accept players leaving the IPL to play in the County Championship, you won't accept players turning down IPL contracts to play domestically and you won't accept England players refusing to put themselves forward for auction in order to (prepare for and then) play in the County Championship, and you're sticking by your point that: "Nobody and I mean nobody is going to turn down a IPL contract to play county championship"

As someone once said: You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Yes it was I knew what I meant, my orginal post was in reply to a poster who said 'if you valued playing for England you would play in the county championship in April and May rather than the IPL'

I took that as meaning fringe or borderline players should not go to the IPL and play county championship instead.

Which imo is unfair and unrealistic on them players and don't think anyone would do that, that is what I meant by nobody would do that.

Turn down that chance just in case they do enough to get selected.

Already established international players not going is irrevlant to the point I was trying to get across.

I accept players doing what they want soo not sure what all the rest about not accepting is about at all!

Last edited:
Only because he was not getting picked for his IPL side, he has said that himself, he thought seen as I am not playing cricket as may as well go back.if he was getting picked he would have stayed there until possibly selected for the test side.

Getting picked or not getting picked is irrelevant to the point Steak made - but you also ignored the facts about Broad and Anderson because it proved your sweeping statement to be incorrect.

Again, to put it simply, Wood could've easily stayed in India, took the coin, bowled in the nets, ate lush curries and enjoyed the luxury of his 5 star hotel.

He did however wager that if he was to be selected for England he would be better suited playing at Derby for Durham - which he did.

Nobody will ever know what decision he would've made had he been getting picked, nor whether or not he'd have been selected for England off the back of a good IPL showing, so there's no point anyone going there.

Facts are, he came home from India early, forgoing wages in order to play for Durham. Everything else is pure opinion and speculation.

Yes it was I knew what I meant, my orginal post was in reply to a poster who said 'if you valued playing for England you would play in the county championship in April and May rather than the IPL'

I took that as meaning fringe or borderline players should not go to the IPL and play county championship instead.

I think you're referring to me, but if you're going to address that point, atleast do so in the context that it was made in.

It was in response to a comment that players would choose IPL over County Cricket if wages were completely even - or in other words, if money was taken completely out of the equation.

My argument, was and is that if players in that instance were trying to play for England's Test side, they'd choose to play Championship cricket, because scoring early season red ball runs (or taking wickets) SHOULD hold more significance than any IPL performances.

Last edited:
Getting picked or not getting picked is irrelevant to the point Steak made - but you also ignored the facts about Broad and Anderson because it proved your sweeping statement to be incorrect.

Again, to put it simply, Wood could've easily stayed in India, took the coin, bowled in the nets, ate lush curries and enjoyed the luxury of his 5 star hotel.

He did however wager that if he was to be selected for England he would be better suited playing at Derby for Durham - which he did.

Nobody will ever know what decision he would've made had he been getting picked, nor whether or not he'd have been selected for England off the back of a good IPL showing, so there's no point anyone going there.

Facts are, he came home from India early, forgoing wages in order to play for Durham. Everything else is pure opinion and speculation.

He actually said he came home to play for Durham and because he was not getting picked for his IPL side.

He said that himself!

Besides that and Broad and Anderson is totally irrevlant to the point I originally meant to get across is that fringe players like Buttler would never turn down a chance to play in the IPL , to play in the county championship just in the hope of getting selected.

If you want maybe I should have had made that clear in the first place would have saved a hell of a lot of time!!!

I think you're referring to me, but if you're going to address that point, atleast do so in the context that it was made in.

It was in response to a comment that players would choose IPL over County Cricket if wages were completely even - or in other words, if money was taken completely out of the equation.

My argument, was and is that if players in that instance were trying to play for England's Test side, they'd choose to play Championship cricket, because scoring early season red ball runs (or taking wickets) SHOULD hold more significance than any IPL performances.

Yeah I was referring to your point, and even though I see your point, I think it's grossly unfair to expect fringe test players to turn down the chance of the IPL to play in the county championship just in the hope of getting selected.

That it was I meant when I said nobody would do that, like I say maybe I should have made that more clear.

Last edited:
Yeah I was referring to your point, and even though I see your point, I think it's grossly unfair to expect fringe test players to turn down the chance of the IPL to play in the county championship just in the hope of getting selected.

That it was I meant when I said nobody would do that, like I say maybe I should have made that more clear.

So all things being equal, you still think fringe players who dream of an England Test call up would pick the IPL over early season Championship cricket?

He actually said he came home to play for Durham and because he was not getting picked for his IPL side.

He said that himself!

If you want maybe I should have had made that clear in the first place would have saved a hell of a lot of time!!!

What would've saved a fuckload of time is if you'd just acknowledged Steak's original point -

Did Mark Wood forego his IPL wage to return home and put himself in the England Test window?

Yes or no.

Makes not one blind bit of difference whether he was being picked or not picked because as it's been put to you - he could've stayed and continued to pick up his pay packet, he chose not to.

Last edited:
Not sure all been equal that was a argument you had with another poster, but taking into account everything including the money then yes they would choose the IPL,

Mark Wood never turned down the IPL in the first place for the county championship he came back yes.

No one is disputing he came home and lost some of his wages, what I am saying is he would and did not turn it down on the first place to play in the county championship.

So in your words he obviously didn't value playing for England above the IPL, until the very last moment and only when he was not getting picked for his IPL.

Which is what I would expect from most fringe players,

Yes he could have stayed and picked up his wages and in some views should be appaulded for that, but he did turn down the IPL to play county championship in April and May he came back which is different.

Did not turn down that should say

Last edited:

No for the same money they are on in the CC

Fuck you talking about? Of course they would

It’s not about money :lol: :lol:

Absolute nonsense, and utterly ridiculous to suggest that at all.

That’s just an absolutely wrong opinion, and I can’t believe people are ghat stupid to say that

Have a day off ffs mate, so boring you now like.

Not sure all been equal that was a argument you had with another poster, but taking into account everything including the money then yes they would choose the IPL,

Mark Wood never turned down the IPL in the first place for the county championship he came back yes.

No one is disputing he came home and lost some of his wages, what I am saying is he would and did not turn it down on the first place to play in the county championship.

So in your words he obviously didn't value playing for England above the IPL, until the very last moment and only when he was not getting picked for his IPL.

Which is what I would expect from most fringe players,

Yes he could have stayed and picked up his wages and in some views should be appaulded for that, but he did turn down the IPL to play county championship in April and May he came back which is different.

Did not turn down that should say

The IPL is the best tournament in the world, playing with the best players in the world

Any f***ing cricketer in England would want to play in it

It’s not about money :lol: :lol:

Absolute nonsense, and utterly ridiculous to suggest that at all.

That’s just an absolutely wrong opinion, and I can’t believe people are ghat stupid to say that

The money is a massive factor along with other stuff and that's why going to the IPL, will always be preferable than the county championship.

Very good money, packed grounds, brilliant vibe in the ground, great weather, exciting games, best players in the world, yeah I can see why a player who prefer a cold day in Manchester in April against all that.

Have a day off ffs mate, so boring you now like.

The IPL is the best tournament in the world, playing with the best players in the world

Any f***ing cricketer in England would want to play in it

Imo I agree totally with you that it is the best tournament in the world by a mile, it's simply brilliant, some of the games on show this season have been nothing short of outstanding to watch, ,a lot of the games have been won by the best bowling side which is contrary to what the T20 critics say that it's all about the batsman, and imo ithe county championship is not even remotely close in terms of entertainment value, in fact it's a million years away, however even taking all that into account, tbf the money has and will always be a big factor for the players going over there.

Last edited:
The money is a massive factor along with other stuff and that's why going to the IPL, will always be preferable than the county championship.

Very good money, packed grounds, brilliant vibe in the ground, great weather, exciting games, best players in the world, yeah I can see why a player who prefer a cold day in Manchester in April against all that.

Imo I agree totally with you that it is the best tournament in the world by a mile, it's simply brilliant, some of the games on show this season have been nothing short of outstanding to watch, ,a lot of the games have been won by the best bowling side which is contrary to what the T20 critics say that it's all about the batsman, and imo ithe county championship is not even remotely close in terms of entertainment value, in fact it's a million years away, however even taking all that into account, tbf the money has and will always be a big factor for the players going over there.

Personally I think most CC players would go over for the same money they earn in the CC, its just too good of an experience to turn down

Just my opinion though

So you didn't answer it 'five times' then did you? Because it was originally put to you, following a stupid statement you made, that Players wouldn't play for fuckall and that the biggest lure is the money.

Now you might think it's the best competition in the world, but if there's one thing about professional sportsmen, they generally like the money. Hence why players leave clubs in all sports with regularity for a few quid extra somewhere else.

You think he is only there for the money? What a stupid thing to say

Most cricketers would play for little over there, full houses, crazy crowds, biggest tournament in the world

To jog your memory. Most cricketers would play for 'little' over there. I took that to mean less than what they're getting now - I'm intrigued to know how much you deem as 'little'.

Last edited:
So you didn't answer it 'five times' then did you? Because it was originally put to you, following a stupid statement you made, that Players wouldn't play for fuckall and that the biggest lure is the money.

Now you might think it's the best competition in the world, but if there's one thing about professional sportsmen, they generally like the money. Hence why players leave clubs in all sports with regularity for a few quid extra somewhere else.

To jog your memory. Most cricketers would play for 'little' over there. I took that to mean less than what they're getting now - I'm intrigued to know how much you deem as 'little'.
Don’t challenge him, he’s always right. And you’re always wrong and talking nonsense

He really doesn’t like it when you point out him being wrong.

I've answered that about 5 times, absolutely, its the best tournament in the world. Can't believe you think people just want to play in it for the money

Anyway, just to refer people to this. Above quote is confirmation that The Rat thinks county cricketers would play in the IPL for their air fare alone.

As it's the best tournament in the world.

Back