England in the West Indies

Jennings, Burns, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes, Ali, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Leach for Curran or Broad if it looks like it will spin

Jennings, Burns, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes, Ali, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Leach for Curran or Broad if it looks like it will spin

Do we not need 2 spinners in the West Indies

this is where Foakes being in the side and Mo being out of form with the bat become an issue

A couple of seasons ago , I watched Jennings at Durham and thought he was the complete batsman and would be a world star. He really has fallen from grace .

You miss the last series?
Against one of the worst test sides I have ever seen , his last 4 scores were 26 1 1 and 13. Yes he played well in the first test but since that he has reverted to type and that does not look like changing in the WIndies .
I sincerely hope he gets back to form as there is definitely a player in there somewhere.

Against one of the worst test sides I have ever seen , his last 4 scores were 26 1 1 and 13. Yes he played well in the first test but since that he has reverted to type and that does not look like changing in the WIndies .
I sincerely hope he gets back to form as there is definitely a player in there somewhere.
Does not look like changing in the West Indies

I must have missed the first test, what happened?

I can't let this go unchallenged sorry,

In the year and a half before they played England, when they have only lost Herath, who also played the first test of the series, they absolutely demolished South Africa 2-0, they drew in the West Indies and they won in Bangladesh and Pakistan

So thats just not right, and not long before that they demolished an excellent Australian side.

Its a line that the media went with, but the reality and results is alot lot different.

None of that means I think Jennings is that good, but he deserves great credit for that 100 if you look how Australian and South African batsman played over there.

I can't let this go unchallenged sorry,

In the year and a half before they played England, when they have only lost Herath, who also played the first test of the series, they absolutely demolished South Africa 2-0, they drew in the West Indies and they won in Bangladesh and Pakistan

So thats just not right, and not long before that they demolished an excellent Australian side.

Its a line that the media went with, but the reality and results is alot lot different.

None of that means I think Jennings is that good, but he deserves great credit for that 100 if you look how Australian and South African batsman played over there.
Leicester were the best team in the Premiership not long ago, form changes.
The Sri lanka team I have watched over the last 6 tests has been very poor.

He was also plum LBW on the way to his ton but the Sri Lankans didn't review. I know every great player relies on luck to an extent but Jennings' England career would be over if it wasn't for that decision imo.

He was also plum LBW on the way to his ton but the Sri Lankans didn't review. I know every great player relies on luck to an extent but Jennings' England career would be over if it wasn't for that decision imo.
He is a bit like the PM. The only reason he is still in his job is that there seems to be no one else qualified to take over.
I really hope he finds some form as he showed a couple of seasons ago what a good player he can be.

I wonder if we’re tempted to go with Burns and Bairstow opening with someone else at three.

They won't, but I don't understand the squad, Smith has done a lot of good, but why is Denly there? He played 6 in this game, isn't considered for the top of the order, he is never an international top 3 player.

So if lack of form or an injury there is nobody to play, don't get why someone like Roy wasn't in reserve

There are only bowlers in reserve too No other batsmen

Denly was fine for SL with his leg-spin option (or any future sub-continent/UAE tour) but shouldn't go to WI where we need 2 spinners max. A better batsman should have gone, Roy/Hales/Hildreth.

Burns, Jennings, Bairstow, Root, Ali, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes, Sam Curran, Broad, Anderson for me.
WI will prepare pitches to suit their seamers. We'll all be twisting about Jennings when he fails against pace again. 2-1 England.

Last edited:
Denly was fine for SL with his leg-spin option (or any future sub-continent/UAE tour) but shouldn't go to WI where we need 2 spinners max. A better batsman should have gone, Roy/Hales/Hildreth.

Burns, Jennings, Bairstow, Root, Ali, Stokes, Buttler, Foakes, Sam Curran, Broad, Anderson for me.
WI will prepare pitches to suit their seamers. We'll all be twisting about Jennings when he fails against pace again. 2-1 England.

Agree with the personnel but how is Ali at 5? He will be at 8, and rightly so, his batting has been horrific

Windies are dangerous, decent home record, they've got a good attack, pitches are expected to be lively and they are using duke balls which swing

Should be exciting cricket

Back