England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

But now you're saying he should bat three? You were basically dismissing out of hand the notion he should be at five... But now he should bat three?

Also any response to the fact you picked a cracking England team with err twelve players? Avoids selection dilemmas nicely, but...

@Mrjardine was debating you most about Bairstow, may as well bring him in...

Why are you being so rude and trying to cause an argument?

Bairstow was batting 5 with the gloves, he clearly shoujd have been batting 7

Foakes has come in and scored a 100 on debut at 7, did you miss that??? Thought you’d have noticed. He clearly keeps his place

So it’s where do you fit Bairstow in

I’ve genuinelly no idea what your point is

Also shows how economical Emburey was as opposed to Ali - some may say negative.

Test cricket's different now though - batsmen are much more attack-minded which explains why Ali is comparatively more expensive.

Yeah hard to judge

Ali done well

His record at home is very good, only away he’s struggled

But now you're saying he should bat three? You were basically dismissing out of hand the notion he should be at five... But now he should bat three?

Also any response to the fact you picked a cracking England team with err twelve players? Avoids selection dilemmas nicely, but...[
Why are you being so rude and trying to cause an argument?

Bairstow was batting 5 with the gloves, he clearly shoujd have been batting 7

Foakes has come in and scored a 100 on debut at 7, did you miss that??? Thought you’d have noticed. He clearly keeps his place

So it’s where do you fit Bairstow in

I’ve genuinelly no idea what your point is

Yeah hard to judge

Ali done well

His record at home is very good, only away he’s struggled

Oh forget it then.

Just trying to make you admit you might be incoherent or hold your hands up for once.

Took all sorts of rudeness from you in the past, as most have when you disagree with them, so you can come down from your perch up there anarl.

You picked a team with twelve players in it and you probably think you're right about that one too.

You gave it out a lot about moving Bairstow up the order in the summer. Now someone else gets a century and he's up at three. It's not the worst idea, but I don't think he's up to it personally - for many of the reasons you yourself gave in the summer, if you can remember and your previous opinions don't disappear into some 1984-style Ministry of Truth.

Last edited:
Oh forget it then.

Just trying to make you admit you might be incoherent or hold your hands up for once.

Took all sorts of rudeness from you in the past, as most have when you disagree with them, so you can come down from your perch up there anarl.

You picked a team with twelve players in it and you probably think you're right about that one too.

You gave it out a lot about moving Bairstow up the order in the summer. Now someone else gets a century and he's up at three. It's not the worst idea, but I don't think he's up to it personally - for many of the reasons you yourself gave in the summer, if you can remember and your previous opinions don't disappear into some 1984-style Ministry of Truth.

Its a different point

Don't try and start arguments or take the piss, enjoying the test and like to talk about it without point scoring

there is no need.

My opinion of Bairstow hasn't changed mate, but you can't drop someone like Foakes there, he looked superb. I also think Buttler is one of the best 5 batsman in the country so should bat there

I don't think Bairstow is a top 3 player too, but I think he is one of the best 11 cricketers in England, and I am kind of getting on board with Ed Smith's view that this what you should select on.

He got injured, its unlucky and harsh but Foakes has the gloves now, I also think his style of play could compliment him

Just about finding away to get Bairstow in the team

The team is looking a lot more healthy now and we have options everywhere, its exciting. I hope Burns can nail down a spot I think that is key

I think Jennings is a good option for this tour but don't really want him opening in the Ashes.

I stand by my view that Bairstow should never have been moved, there was no need, and his average dropped like 15 when he moved to 5, so it kind of proved my point.

As I say, there is no right or wrong its just opinions, I can't be arsed getting in arguments so lets just get on with it and enjoy the test

What would be your XI then, out of interest, I bet its similar to mine

I do disagree with you slightly about Roy by the way. I think he is a better red ball player than you give him credit for, I think he is maturing and looking a more all round player. I just fancy him at 3 in the Ashes, he is going to play there for the lions this winter, so be interesting to see how he gets on

Last edited:
Its a different point

Don't try and start arguments or take the piss, enjoying the test and like to talk about it without point scoring

there is no need.

My opinion of Bairstow hasn't changed mate, but you can't drop someone like Foakes there, he looked superb. I also think Buttler is one of the best 5 batsman in the country so should bat there

I don't think Bairstow is a top 3 player too, but I think he is one of the best 11 cricketers in England, and I am kind of getting on board with Ed Smith's view that this what you should select on.

He got injured, its unlucky and harsh but Foakes has the gloves now, I also think his style of play could compliment him

Just about finding away to get Bairstow in the team

The team is looking a lot more healthy now and we have options everywhere, its exciting. I hope Burns can nail down a spot I think that is key

I think Jennings is a good option for this tour but don't really want him opening in the Ashes.

I stand by my view that Bairstow should never have been moved, there was no need, and his average dropped like 15 when he moved to 5, so it kind of proved my point.

As I say, there is no right or wrong its just opinions, I can't be arsed getting in arguments so lets just get on with it and enjoy the test

What would be your XI then, out of interest, I bet its similar to mine

I do disagree with you slightly about Roy by the way. I think he is a better red ball player than you give him credit for, I think he is maturing and looking a more all round player. I just fancy him at 3 in the Ashes, he is going to play there for the lions this winter, so be interesting to see how he gets on

You've really given it out far too much to take the high road - that's far more hypocritical than anything you've said about Bairstow.

But if this really is you turning over a new leaf, then I'll stop winding you up for sure. You make a lot of good points when you're not busy being needlessly antagonistic.

I wouldn't pick Bairstow probably for next match, might have a look at him at opener for the last test - but only if Jennings fails this match and next, and/or we've wrapped up the series. Ali has stuck his neck our and shown some responsibility - and generally has had a great attitude about always doing what the team wants from him. He deserves a fair crack at three, though I doubt it'll work because it takes too long for him to sort his feet out.

Rest of team picks itself and selectors have been vindicated. Would probably swap Stokes and Foakes, I don't know. Really doesn't matter much.

Yes, absolutely desperate for Burns to do well. Crucial.

Would also like to have a look at Stone at some point. But depends on pitches state of series.

Last edited:
You've really given it out far too much to take the high road - that's far more hypocritical than anything you've said about Bairstow.

But if this really is you turning over a new leaf, then I'll stop winding you up for sure. You make a lot of good points when you're not busy being needlessly antagonistic.

I wouldn't pick Bairstow probably for next match, might have a look at him at opener for the last test - but only if Jennings fails this match and next, and/or we've wrapped up the series. Ali has stuck his neck our and shown some responsibility - and generally has had a great attitude about always doing what the team wants from him. He deserves a fair crack at three, though I doubt it'll work because it takes too long for him to sort his feet out.

Rest of team picks itself and selectors have been vindicated. Would probably swap Stokes and Foakes, I don't know. Really doesn't matter much.

Yes, absolutely desperate for Burns to do well. Crucial.

Would also like to have a look at Stone at some point. But depends on pitches state of series.

Yeah agreed, Bairstow might have to wait

Its all about winning each series or test so planning for future its overplayed at times.

I do think fans and more so media need to change their attitude about the team and embrace the all rounders part of it. As I said earlier its all about contributing to a win and the little contributions add up to a lot, or could do

For example you could have a number 3 who say ground out 120, but another way of thinking about it is Ali at gets 40, Curran gets 40 and they take 2 wickets each, both in the team as all rounders. It kind of makes sense when you think like that, which is what Ed Smith tried to get out in the summer.

So could say Stokes bat 3 in the summer, probs not get as much as some number 3s that we grew up watching, but if he is taking wickets and catches then he justifies the position

Just think why don't we turn this situation into a positive and not a negative, its unique that we have so many all round crickets, its a credit to the system

Looking like Jennings was a very astute selection by Smith & co. Would have been very easy to cave in to public pressure and drop him.

2 Durham lads doing this business

Looking like Jennings was a very astute selection by Smith & co. Would have been very easy to cave in to public pressure and drop him.

Looks like it

Rob key keeps saying “the real test will come against Australia”

No it doesn’t, we have 5 tests in spin friendly conditions, he’s a good pick

What do you think about Bairstow for burns next test, with burns back into the team in England

Great bowling

Bumble talking absolutely nonsense about negative bowling there

Last edited:

Looks like it

What do you think about Bairstow for burns next test, with burns back into the team in England

Great bowling

It’s the only way I can see to get Bairstow back in the side, but it’s as an opener and it would be harsh on Burns dropping him after one Test, albeit I’m not convinced his technique is up to it long term.

But I’m not sure Bairstow comes straight back in either. It’s harsh and unlucky as has been said, but that’s sport and his injury has given someone else a chance and the great thing is Foakes has grabbed it. Now Bairstow must force his way back in. One of the features that has made the ODI side the best in the world is the competition for places and the strength in depth we have with the players not in the side. We have to try and get the same in the Test side and there’s no reason we can’t with the players we have.

I agree with you that we are blessed with the number and quality of allrounders we have, it is absolutely fantastic and should be celebrated and enjoyed not seen as a negative when trying to fit players in and fill spaces.

I also totally agree with you about Jason Roy. I would have had him in the Test side a couple of years ago and would certainly like to see him in in time for the Ashes as I think his attitude is perfect for it and his record for the one day side is fantastic, Ed Smith has shown he’s not afraid to make big calls and I hope the selectors take a chance on him sooner rather than later.

Looks like it

Great bowling

I'd stick with Burns, he deserves a chance. We know Bairstow isn't a test opener.

Well done lad, proved the doubters wrong

Time to up the run rate

What's the rationale for taking the new ball and giving it to an off-spinner?

Last edited:
Well done England Jennings and Stokes
If I Wanted to be critical it would be of the Sri Lankan bowling which with the exception of a few tight overs where balls have turned sharply the rest of the bowling has been very average

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back