England in NZ

Had surgery though didn't he? I wouldn't rush him back until he's definitely fit, that's what I was implying. If he is, then he comes into the equation - but presumably he wasn't for New Zealand, so...

I honestly don't know whether he or Stone are fit. I'd want both in Australia, but we may need to find another quick - which would probably be Mahmood, so I'd like a look at him. In terms of ability it's probably Wood-Stone-Mahmood, though I do think Stone has a lot of potential if he can stay on the pitch for more than two consecutive games. Which, tbf, is Wood's problem too.
I think he did have surgery. He and Anderson were both named in a training/Lions squad so they could both prove their fitness for SA. I get that he needs to be carefully managed but I just worry that sometimes we're over protective.

I know it's a different ball game but Mahmood looked out of his depth against New Zealand in the t20s. I like the look of Stone but as you've said he has his own struggles.

I think he did have surgery. He and Anderson were both named in a training/Lions squad so they could both prove their fitness for SA. I get that he needs to be carefully managed but I just worry that sometimes we're over protective.

I know it's a different ball game but Mahmood looked out of his depth against New Zealand in the t20s. I like the look of Stone but as you've said he has his own struggles.

I think they were bad decks for quicks - something which was a harbinger for the test series, actually. I don't think he's at Wood's level, I'm not saying that. Having said that, he is skiddy and there is talk he is a natural reverse swing bowler which is something we haven't had for a while (though Stokes has done it proficiently on occassion) - that might be a nice option if the Saffa pitches are quite abrasive.

Right

So what’s your squad for SA? (noting they are talking about bringing Jennings back for SL)

this XI plus Leach, Bairstow, Anderson and Wood?
Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Wood, Archer, Anderson, Leach
with Crawley, Bairstow, Curran, Broad and Ali (If mentally right) in reserve

Wouldn't bother taking Woakes as his record in SA is pretty poor. In fact his average outside the UK is poor
Was reading that spin isn't a huge factor in SA these days with most pitches suiting seam.
Not sure if Bairstow has done anything to warrant a recall but you can't just rely on Pope as backup to Buttler.

Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Wood, Archer, Anderson, Leach
with Crawley, Bairstow, Curran, Broad and Ali (If mentally right) in reserve

Wouldn't bother taking Woakes as his record in SA is pretty poor. In fact his average outside the UK is poor
Was reading that spin isn't a huge factor in SA these days with most pitches suiting seam.
Not sure if Bairstow has done anything to warrant a recall but you can't just rely on Pope as backup to Buttler.
Yeah they aren’t playing in Durban, which is the one that spins

Back