Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Government warning energy companies not to up direct debits for customers because obviously people are using less energy. Remains to be seen but mine has gone up to £237 quid a month and I will use on average nowhere near that, so looking forward to the credit balance. We are both determined not to pay north of £50 a week mind just to heat the house so no gain without pain is relevant here.

Taking the right piss this month(not even a full month) we've went from using £13 worth gas to £113 and I don't feel like we've had the heating on that much, usually just to take the chill off the air

Logon or register to see this image

I’ve worked out my gas is give or take £35 for 10 units.

I’ve used 21 so far this month, that’s quite a bit below what you’ve paid there and I’ve had the heating on quite a bit.

I did turn the boiler down last month mind maybes that’s why and I also balanced the radiators.

I’ve topped up 118 pound on my gas meter since the 1st November. My electricity is averaging 22 per week.

Absolutely dreading the colder months.

Last edited:
The £66 being applied monthly has been making a canny dent in what I’ve owed at month end, hasn’t broken 3 figures yet.

It’ll definitely be a bigger issue when the revised rate kicks in this April but I’ve got a fair bit tucked a way in savings for this, just got to see how it plays out now.

I cancelled my DD as they were demanding more than my monthly income as a scheduled payment. Tried to switch to a different energy supplier who said they would only take me if I had GEN2 smart meters. I told them I did as that is what I insisted was installed and was assured by the supplier and installer that's what they were installing. The agent I was talking to checked the meters against the register and they were GEN1+ which is an updated GEN1 which acts as a GEN2 but isn't actually a GEN2 meter. Not sure who's bullshitting but presumably a supplier wouldn't refuse custom unless they had to so I'm blaming the previous supplier and installer for lying. Just confirms to me the whole industry is crooked beyond belief.

They'll get paid as much as I can afford and go fuck themselves if they think they are getting anything more.

I cancelled my DD as they were demanding more than my monthly income as a scheduled payment. Tried to switch to a different energy supplier who said they would only take me if I had GEN2 smart meters. I told them I did as that is what I insisted was installed and was assured by the supplier and installer that's what they were installing. The agent I was talking to checked the meters against the register and they were GEN1+ which is an updated GEN1 which acts as a GEN2 but isn't actually a GEN2 meter. Not sure who's bullshitting but presumably a supplier wouldn't refuse custom unless they had to so I'm blaming the previous supplier and installer for lying. Just confirms to me the whole industry is crooked beyond belief.

They'll get paid as much as I can afford and go fuck themselves if they think they are getting anything more.
They will then remotely convert your smart meter to a prepayment so you have to pay in the form of a top up or the meter cuts you off. They want everyone to have a smart meter for a reason. And this is a big one that they don’t like to tell you about.

There’s only one winner here marra, and sadly it’s not us.

Last edited:
Problem is is that you can't self disconnect, they'll both rack up daily standing charges so you're always having to pay even if you're not using any energy FFS.
As i say, there’s only one winner.

You could have the meters removed I suppose.
Ours want down to £151 from £180 in October. They're getting the £66 taxpayer handout as well like.
Same here albeit different figures. Didnt go up by the dd, but did in effect with the government grant took into account. Going to be naughty next year going on predictions.

Last edited:

Back