Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

You are right, I was going of this paragraph:

However, under the expanded scheme, people whose homes have an energy efficiency rating of D or below can get help, whether they are in private, rented or social housing. If you are eligible, your energy firm will do a survey and pay for the improvements.

But it clearly says at the top:

The ECO+ scheme will target homes that have a low energy efficiency rating and are in the lower council tax bands.

I guess we will just have to wait for more in depth details.

I imagine most people who don't qualify for the income based assistance will have already done the lower costed insulation.

So in essence they are not really expanding it too much. Every little helps I suppose but it could have been so much bolder, especially if they may need to help with bills again next winter.

I know Martin Lewis gets stick on here from time to time, but, having scoured dozens of sources to put some meat on the bones it's his MSE website that has the most info I've seen. Looks like external wall insulation is covered. We've done everything else we can already (with a solid wall house). I'm making a wild guess of a cost £12-15K to get external wall insulation for a house like ours, I'd be very grateful to get 75% of that paid for. We are on a gable end and must lose 35% of heat through the walls. Will be contacting Ovo about the scheme soon as our house should qualify both in terms of council tax band and epc rating will post on here how we get on.

Last edited:
Just done my meter readings last night..

Over the last 21 days I've used £110 gas and £60 electricity. That's just from having the heating on 14 to keep the chill off the property etc. Looks like atm usage will be around £230..next few months are going to be horrendous. Really feel for those who are out of work or on low wages moving forward.

Just done my meter readings last night..

Over the last 21 days I've used £110 gas and £60 electricity. That's just from having the heating on 14 to keep the chill off the property etc. Looks like atm usage will be around £230..next few months are going to be horrendous. Really feel for those who are out of work or on low wages moving forward.

Out of curiosity, how much of that was daily charges?

What i'm getting at is if it is mainly charges you might as well up it a degree or so to keep you health up.

I'm currently paying £100 towards the gas and £75 towards the electric. Currently in credit to the tune of £960 on the gas alone

Despite only using £40 of gas a month, Octopus have curated a very weird chart to show I should actually be paying nearly £600 per month to avoid running up a large debt

There's so much wrong with their maths that it looks deliberate. The chart starts with £514 of gas charges in October - the reality is I was charged less than 1/10 of that

The whole thing is a cartel

Logon or register to see this image

I'm currently paying £100 towards the gas and £75 towards the electric. Currently in credit to the tune of £960 on the gas alone

Despite only using £40 of gas a month, Octopus have curated a very weird chart to show I should actually be paying nearly £600 per month to avoid running up a large debt

There's so much wrong with their maths that it looks deliberate. The chart starts with £514 of gas charges in October - the reality is I was charged less than 1/10 of that

Thats absolute f***ing madness that marra

Out of curiosity, how much of that was daily charges?

What i'm getting at is if it is mainly charges you might as well up it a degree or so to keep you health up.

I think the standing charges are around 80p per day... So 80 x 22 =£17.60 or so? Most of the cost appears to. Be usage.

I'm thinking of joining the gym round the corner from mine just to start showering there rather than using the bath at home.. £25 a month membership so surely that will save a little bit.

I think the standing charges are around 80p per day... So 80 x 22 =£17.60 or so? Most of the cost appears to. Be usage.

I'm thinking of joining the gym round the corner from mine just to start showering there rather than using the bath at home.. £25 a month membership so surely that will save a little bit.

Bugger, that seems a lot for 14 degrees.

Does you provider have one on them online apps that breakdown your usage so you can see what is happening? although I don't think they are as accurate as they say. Mine said my biggest gas expense was the bath, which was possible but it never changed when I got a shower put in. Has been the same figure for 6 months.

Can you get any support for insulation?

I'm paying 265, 800 in credit and my graph looks ok, only marginally go into debt around March/Arpil

They have been warned again about this, they just seem to stick two fingers up at the toothless regulators.

They tried to double mine (I was 400 in credit) and my contract doesnt expire until Nov 2023.

When I applied for them to take it back down they said they could only take it down by so much of a percentage which was obviously less than the percentage they put it up. Arseholes.

Last edited:
just been informed my G&E is going from £116 a month to £302. I'm over £300 in credit too. Think I'll be paying as I go

just been informed my G&E is going from £116 a month to £302. I'm over £300 in credit too. Think I'll be paying as I go

To be fair mine was 113 last winter, out of my deal in April and i`ve been on the variable ever since. it jumped to 180 at one point and now its 205. 500 odd in credit as well.

the galling thing is we have proper cut down our usage so i`m paying double for half as much. kernts

Bugger, that seems a lot for 14 degrees.

Does you provider have one on them online apps that breakdown your usage so you can see what is happening? although I don't think they are as accurate as they say. Mine said my biggest gas expense was the bath, which was possible but it never changed when I got a shower put in. Has been the same figure for 6 months.

Can you get any support for insulation?

Nope, nothing like that I'm afraid! The Eon Next app is quite useful but doesn't have that level of detail in.

Not sure I can get support for insulation either as I'm in Social Housing. Ironically I actually work for BEIS in the Decarbonisation of Social Housing Fund so know quite a lot about what is and what isn't available. Let me tell you, the level of funding available for the NE is significantly lower than every other region, so much for levelling up.

Fortunately I've moved up two grades in the past 12 months which has mitigated against any energy price increases, realistically though if I had have been on the salary I was 12 months ago chances are I'd have been using a food bank by now.

Back