Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Standing Charge 47.553p a day for electric (£173.57 a year) (49.931p a day £182.25 a year inc VAT)

Standing Charge 27.128p a day for gas (£99.02 a year) (28.484p a day £103.97 a year inc VAT)

It's £286.22 a year (£23.85 month) standing charge now yet I was paying 10.5p standing charge with VAT on both until fixed ran out earlier in year, total £76.65 year.
Scandalous.

Standing Charge 47.553p a day for electric (£173.57 a year) (49.931p a day £182.25 a year inc VAT)

Standing Charge 27.128p a day for gas (£99.02 a year) (28.484p a day £103.97 a year inc VAT)

It's £286.22 a year (£23.85 month) standing charge now yet I was paying 10.5p standing charge with VAT on both until fixed ran out earlier in year, total £76.65 year.
This is a bigger piss take than the actual unit rates tbh.
Daylight robbery.
Good job we still have daylight these days actually.

So what’s the consensus with regards to minimum temperature inside the house before the heating should go on in terms of efficiency?
At the minute mine is set at 18 degrees between 6-8 then down to 12 during the day then back to 18 from 5-7 then back down to 12.
Is this inefficient? Right now its 4 degrees outside and house is at 16 so it’ll have to heat up 2 degrees to reach setpoint.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so apologies if this has already been said, but this article may help -
Staying warm

That’s unbelievable. Jesus
Easily done now, there's a post on that same page as Buster, from a lad saying £7 already clocked on meter by time out of bed + further £7 added during the day. House warm as there is a newborn baby, there's £434 a month. Will be higher in Jan/Feb most likely and then effectively going up £900 from April.

What are you on about?

What are you on about?
Buster wrote about his energy bill being over £350 for the last month. Another poster mentioned they are doing £14 a day, that x 31 = £434.

Going up by £900 per annum from April as £400 assistance withdrawn + £500 increase in the cost of the price guarantee.

Anything else you can't understand?

Last edited:
What are you on about?
Buster wrote about his energy bill being over £350 for the last month. Another poster mentioned they are doing £14 a day, that x 31 = £434.

Going up by £900 per annum from April as £400 assistance withdrawn + £500 increase in the cost of the price guarantee.

It still doesn’t make any sense to me either.

Which bit.
Have you looked at who I was originally replying to and what there question was? They were astonished that Busters bill is so high. Another lad posted an even higher figure. I've commented that the prices are also going up after April.

Right I get you now, there’s a revised rate, that wasn’t explained in the article I read yesterday.

I’ve just read another one. 👍

Might be late but it looks like the Government might be stepping up helping insulate homes. Should have been done last year mind, i refuse to believe what we are experiencing couldn't have been predicted and a proactive response would have been so less damaging for the public, the public coffers and the depth of the oncoming recession.

Insulation: £1bn funding for least efficient homes

I have no doubt that most of this isn't already in place and its an easy win headline, however, I looks like they are expanding the grants to any home, private or rented, that has an energy efficiency rating of D or below.

Which means people like myself are eligible. I have an E rated home which has all the insulative properties of a cardboard box.

worth keeping eye out for.

Might be late but it looks like the Government might be stepping up helping insulate homes. Should have been done last year mind, i refuse to believe what we are experiencing couldn't have been predicted and a proactive response would have been so less damaging for the public, the public coffers and the depth of the oncoming recession.

I have no doubt that most of this isn't already in place and its an easy win headline, however, I looks like they are expanding the grants to any home, private or rented, that has an energy efficiency rating of D or below.

Which means people like myself are eligible. I have an E rated home which has all the insulative properties of a cardboard box.

And are in the lower council tax bands.. A&B only presumably?

Been following this. Be nice if the scheme offered grants that could help the 7M homes with solid walls. 75% towards the cost of external insulation would be welcome. Already had the loft done to the top spec.

I think It's A-C or A-D depending on which article you read.

You are right, I was going of this paragraph:

However, under the expanded scheme, people whose homes have an energy efficiency rating of D or below can get help, whether they are in private, rented or social housing. If you are eligible, your energy firm will do a survey and pay for the improvements.

But it clearly says at the top:

The ECO+ scheme will target homes that have a low energy efficiency rating and are in the lower council tax bands.

I guess we will just have to wait for more in depth details.
Been following this. Be nice if the scheme offered grants that could help the 7M homes with solid walls. 75% towards the cost of external insulation would be welcome. Already had the loft done to the top spec.

I think It's A-C or A-D depending on which article you read.

I imagine most people who don't qualify for the income based assistance will have already done the lower costed insulation.

So in essence they are not really expanding it too much. Every little helps I suppose but it could have been so much bolder, especially if they may need to help with bills again next winter.

Last edited:
They should be throwing this and things like solar panels at everyone. Make them free/heavily discounted and any unused energy goes back to the grid free in return. If they really want to have us less reliant on energy firms. Must be better long term than chucking hundreds of £ at people to hand over to their energy provider.

Also make it compulsory that any new builds have solar panels (or similar) fitted and meet an energy efficient standard before they can be sold.

Taking the right piss this month(not even a full month) we've went from using £13 worth gas to £113 and I don't feel like we've had the heating on that much, usually just to take the chill off the air

Logon or register to see this image

What are you on about?

Roll on February when there is only 28 days

These energy firms are pulling a right fast one like, they're basically using us as free loans.

They'll have millions of cash in their accounts that isn't theirs paying no interest on it and making more cash on it.

Maybe the government should force them to pay us all a bit interest on our credit balances.

These energy firms are pulling a right fast one like, they're basically using us as free loans.

They'll have millions of cash in their accounts that isn't theirs paying no interest on it and making more cash on it.

Maybe the government should force them to pay us all a bit interest on our credit balances.

Sadly unlikely, they’ve only just passed the legislation that stops customers credit being used by companies to hedge on the market, at least one company went bust doing that very thing.

Their directors should be in prison, naturally nothing has happened.

Back