Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Didn’t know that. ***** trick when it’s that or feed your kids
Indeed. The robbing cartels wont lose a penny and will happily see people freeze. The smart meter roll out is the biggest scam going imo. All to benefit the supplier, i wish id never bothered with mine.
Didn’t know that. ***** trick when it’s that or feed your kids

Last edited:

And if you do get cut off your standing charge keeps racking up so next time any money is added you'll probably see very little of it as actual "energy" just "debt" tbh.

I'm basically adding credit to pay the daily standing charges and to have a bit hot water and electricity, very little heating being on as I just can't afford it.
That's awful, I hope things get better, I'm assuming you have though of this and apologies if it comes across wrong, but my uncle used to boil the kettle and then store the water in flasks so he didn't have to do it again (despite getting free coal of the coal board). I was talking to a friend at the weekend and he was saying he wont put the heating on much and he is using hot water bottles to keep his core temp up when its cold to try and mitigate some of the effects of living in a cooler temp.

crackers that it has come to this.

You're not wrong, remember a few years ago, when people were calling this out and were called tin foil hat wearers, strange old world we live in.
Yeah, remember it well.

For some strange reason suppliers don't list it on the smart meter perks when they send the fancy emails out telling people to get one. Its almost as if they don't want people to know before its too late. As once its in you ain't going back.

£80 gas, £89 electric used from mid October to mid November. Leccy usage shouldn't be much higher in the coming months, gas might double though

Sorry to give a vague answer, but it's going to depend on your home. A well insulated fairly modern property (cavity wall construction with insulation, double glazing, loft insulation etc) is going to retain the heat a lot better than an older property.
I have a reasonable home and a nest thermostat and still raising the temp by a degree or two can take a couple of hours.
So aiming for 19 earlier in the day and then letting it coast till an hour before bed is better than telling it you want it at 20 at 6pm and it only just getting there as you get under the duvet...

A bloke I work with has just shown me pics of his rented victorian terrace full of mould. Cold solid walls, no trickle vents in the old double glazing, no extractors in the bathroom, and paranoia about not turning the heating up /opening the windows and letting the heat (and moist air) out means he's destroying the house and his health of he doesn't get it sorted. It's a mix of lifestyle and landlord issues that I'll have to help him unpick.

Think I’ll try and work it out tomorrow and Friday with some trials. Fun times!

Sorry to give a vague answer, but it's going to depend on your home. A well insulated fairly modern property (cavity wall construction with insulation, double glazing, loft insulation etc) is going to retain the heat a lot better than an older property.
I have a reasonable home and a nest thermostat and still raising the temp by a degree or two can take a couple of hours.
So aiming for 19 earlier in the day and then letting it coast till an hour before bed is better than telling it you want it at 20 at 6pm and it only just getting there as you get under the duvet...

A bloke I work with has just shown me pics of his rented victorian terrace full of mould. Cold solid walls, no trickle vents in the old double glazing, no extractors in the bathroom, and paranoia about not turning the heating up /opening the windows and letting the heat (and moist air) out means he's destroying the house and his health of he doesn't get it sorted. It's a mix of lifestyle and landlord issues that I'll have to help him unpick.
Exactly, if you've got the insulation all you really need is a burst of heat for however long to heat the room and its locked in to take the edge off for hours after. I think also everyone is different, I know folk that love a cold bedroom for example, have the window ajar all year around.

Just checked my ovo app as my boiler went off Sat morning and only got it fixed last night so no heating and no hot water from early Sat morning until last night, yet my gas usage for both Sat and Sunday is the same if not slightly higher than the prev 3 or 4 days?

surely it’ll get to the point where many people simply can’t afford the bills and just crack on using. I’d be amazed if companies started cutting peple off. There’d be riots. Be interesting to see if there are any major protests.
This. Definitely be hell on.

Last edited:
Just looking there at my recent bill. We are getting in terms of a reduction on top of the £400 grant

17p/kWh reduction for electric, it would be 47.7p a kWh without the discount
4.22p/kWh reduction for gas, it would be 13.930p/kWh without the discount

God help us come April when it is stopping and the cap is rising again.
Standing Charge 47.553p a day for electric (£173.57 a year) (49.931p a day £182.25 a year inc VAT)

Standing Charge 27.128p a day for gas (£99.02 a year) (28.484p a day £103.97 a year inc VAT)

It's £286.22 a year (£23.85 month) standing charge now yet I was paying 10.5p standing charge with VAT on both until fixed ran out earlier in year, total £76.65 year.

Exactly, if you've got the insulation all you really need is a burst of heat for however long to heat the room and its locked in to take the edge off for hours after. I think also everyone is different, I know folk that love a cold bedroom for example, have the window ajar all year around.
Probably fatties

Back