Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

it's a fukkin disgrace that people are being forced into doing this
Agreed. Although the poster implied they've always do it.
Some people have no choice but to put it on, regardless of whether it’s affordable
This. It'll probably skint us but no chance am I letting my squad get ill or have the kip jeopardised.
I've caved today and had to put it on to take the chill out the air. mental that its come to this. people sitting in the house in coats etc terrified to put the heating on. and it's not even really that cold yet
It's baltic IMO (always felt the cold though) :lol:

Last edited:
So what’s the consensus with regards to minimum temperature inside the house before the heating should go on in terms of efficiency?
At the minute mine is set at 18 degrees between 6-8 then down to 12 during the day then back to 18 from 5-7 then back down to 12.
Is this inefficient? Right now its 4 degrees outside and house is at 16 so it’ll have to heat up 2 degrees to reach setpoint.
Sorry to give a vague answer, but it's going to depend on your home. A well insulated fairly modern property (cavity wall construction with insulation, double glazing, loft insulation etc) is going to retain the heat a lot better than an older property.
I have a reasonable home and a nest thermostat and still raising the temp by a degree or two can take a couple of hours.
So aiming for 19 earlier in the day and then letting it coast till an hour before bed is better than telling it you want it at 20 at 6pm and it only just getting there as you get under the duvet...

A bloke I work with has just shown me pics of his rented victorian terrace full of mould. Cold solid walls, no trickle vents in the old double glazing, no extractors in the bathroom, and paranoia about not turning the heating up /opening the windows and letting the heat (and moist air) out means he's destroying the house and his health of he doesn't get it sorted. It's a mix of lifestyle and landlord issues that I'll have to help him unpick.

Last edited:
aiming for 19 earlier in the day and then letting it coast till an hour before bed is better than telling it you want it at 20 at 6pm and it only just getting there as you get under the duvet...
There's something massively wrong if it takes a couple of hours to heat the room up by two degrees.

To answer the earlier question, no insulation is efficient enough to mean it is cheaper to heat an empty house all day.

Last edited:
There's something massively wrong if it takes a couple of hours to heat the room up by two degrees.

To answer the earlier question, no insulation is efficient enough to mean it is cheaper to heat an empty house all day.
mine is bad like. takes ages to get up to temp

how long should it take to go from say 15 to 20

68 degrees i think. has an efficient symbol so just have it there
If you have a well insulated home then it'll be cheaper to run the boiler at a lower temperature. Set your water higher though.
mine is bad like. takes ages to get up to temp

how long should it take to go from say 15 to 20
Half an hour, or thereabouts, maybe an hour. It depends on the room and how many radiators and the flow temp etc.

Last edited:
If you have a well insulated home then it'll be cheaper to run the boiler at a lower temperature. Set your water higher though.

Half an hour, or thereabouts, maybe an hour. It depends on the room and how many radiators and the flow temp etc.
upstairs heats up instantly no bother. downstairs is all open plan with 3 vertical radiators.. which i think are shite. it takes them ages to even get warm and would take minimum 2 hours from 15 to 20

Bulb e-mailed me today and unexpectedly cut my monthly payments from £72 to £65.
When it went up to £72 a few weeks ago, I did the sums and £72 is about what I calculated I should be paying.

surely it’ll get to the point where many people simply can’t afford the bills and just crack on using. I’d be amazed if companies started cutting peple off. There’d be riots. Be interesting to see if there are any major protests.

All they do if you can't/won't pay is convert your smart meter to a pre payment meter, they can do this remotely now and then the smart prepayment meter cuts you off when your credit has gone. It does the dirty work for the supplier.

Smart meters haven been fitted to peoples home just to have a fancy display on top of the kitchen bench.

All they do if you can't/won't pay is convert your smart meter to a pre payment meter, they can do this remotely now and then the smart prepayment meter cuts you off when your credit has gone. It does the dirty work for the supplier.

Smart meters haven been fitted to peoples home just to have a fancy display on top of the kitchen bench.
Didn’t know that. ***** trick when it’s that or feed your kids

Back