Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Just got our 'options' through.
Currently pay £1700 a year
Change tariff and we can have a new bill of £3200 a year!!
Do nothing and pay £2300 a year.
Brother in laws bill is already £305 a month (cost of having a nice hot tub in the garden)

Brother in laws bill is already £305 a month (cost of having a nice hot tub in the garden)

Has he considered turning it off?

There’s a few things I’m going to cut back on.
Sky Q is going the journey once the contract is up, and tbh so might my season ticket if the bills become ridiculous

If you do nothing it will still go up by at least 50% when energy cap rises in May.

Same here, in a very fortunate position in that it won't have a big impact on us.
Can't help but think there will be some ( incl family/friends even who are going to find it a real struggle)

Something, and to be honest I don't know what, needs to be done :(
A think tank supposedly made the suggestion to the government of paying £300 fuel allowance to all households where there is no resident higher rate tax payer. That would surely help those most in need, yes there will be some around the periphery who gain and some who miss out but they aren't likely to be the people most in need, i.e. a couple both on circa £40K per annum each would qualify for the payment versus say a household with a single earner on say £55K who would not.

Don't know if this idea has any traction/likelihood of happening..

A think tank supposedly made the suggestion to the government of paying £300 fuel allowance to all households where there is no resident higher rate tax payer. That would surely help those most in need, yes there will be some around the periphery who gain and some who miss out but they aren't likely to be the people most in need, i.e. a couple both on circa £40K per annum each would qualify for the payment versus say a household with a single earner on say £55K who would not.

I don't think they'll do a thing.

Mine has gone up £500 per month. Unless it’s brought down by at least 75% of that in the next 12 months or so I’ll be looking to move. There are far better things I can spend money on.

Electric shower?
no, its linked direct to the water system and uses the gas boiler for my water and heating, have an induction cooker too, to reduce the energy used when cooking, use the hob and microwave.

Used to spend £40 on avg for my electric cheaper in the summer and a little more winter and around £20 on gas, now my current electric is £76, they asked to increase my payments again and gas is £50 and I expect that to go up again

only live in a 2 bed house.

Always fancied getting one of those think tanks. Would it save on my hot water costs?

Fifty per cent is baffling. I think my costs are cheep but I wouldn't like a hike like that at all.

I live in a small roof flat and on my tod.
£1800 a year for combined heating and electricity seems expensive for 1 person in a small flat.
Until recently we were spending less than £100/month: 4 people in a 4 bedroomed house.

Perhaps the U.K. has had lower than average costs for a long time, and now we’re paying the price.

Last edited:
A 70-100% increase I could understand but I can't see how it could possibly got up 7-fold.

My heating is going off on 31 March and stopping off until at least October.
That used to be the case when we were kids. We had central heating but it was a last resort for our dad to switch in on. There wasn’t much chance of it being on between March and October, I remember wearing a dressing gown, vest, PJs, socks for nighttime.

That used to be the case when we were kids. We had central heating but it was a last resort for our dad to switch in on. There wasn’t much chance of it being on between March and October, I remember wearing a dressing gown, vest, PJs, socks for nighttime.
Aye I was just telling the bairn earlier that I used to be able to see my breath in the freezing air and that I used to get my clothes on under the duvet (it was that cold at times).

Back