Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

It depends what type of prepayment meter you have and when you add credit to your prepayment card or key mate.
I put £500 on my gas card and £500 on my electric key on the 30th of march (2days before the price rise), on the 1st April the gas meter automatically increased its standing charge and unit rate but the electric meter did not. Neither of my meters are smart ones but apparently the quantum gas meters are more technically advanced than the electric meter that I have.
So basically I'm still getting my electric at pre April tariffs, I've got about £310 in credit left on it.

Just done a bit digging and apparently ofgem are expected to announce the October price cap change on the 26th of August.
Ah so my gas meter has probably updated to the april 1st increased prices but my electricity won't until I put the key in it again (think there's about £160 left on it now).

Ah so my gas meter has probably updated to the april 1st increased prices but my electricity won't until I put the key in it again (think there's about £160 left on it now).
Take it your not on smart prepayment meters ?
As smart meters will automatically update on the exact date there is a tariff change.

Last edited:
Is it still more expensive on the prepayment meter? Sure I read something about it
Not as bad as you would think, I'm sure that Martin lewis gadgee said direct debit was cheapest then prepayment meters then believe it or not getting a quarterly bill and making a payment for that bill was more expensive again.

Not as bad as you would think, I'm sure that Martin lewis gadgee said direct debit was cheapest then prepayment meters then believe it or not getting a quarterly bill and making a payment for that bill was more expensive again.
I guess they like the money up front so reward that. Makes sense.

Yeah I would but the bloody meter only holds £249 FFS 😪

Yes, I've had them in for years sadly.
My gas meter is a quantum and card operated. They are quite clever and have a built in calendar as such so they can be told in advance to change the tarriffs at a point in the future.
My electric is a Sangamo and key operated. It's as old as the hills and can't be told to change tarriffs in advance. When the paypoint terminal puts the instructions on the key to tell the meter to change tarriffs it will happen as soon as you put the key in the meter, that's why no key transactions before April 1st had the new tarriff information loaded onto the key. Its only once you go to the paypoint terminal from April 1st onwards that the new tarriffs would have been loaded onto your key and then only once you inserted the key that the meter would get the information.
So I went to the paypoint on march 30th and put £215 on, as I still had £30 on the meter, went home put the key in giving a total of £245 on the meter. I then went straight back to the paypoint and put another £245 on the key. The meter is now down to about £60 and I still have the £245 on the key for when I get down to about 2 or 3 quid left on the meter. All this been charged at pre April tarriffs 👍

Been watching this a few months now. Fortunate to have another 15 months on a £140pm deal.

Been lowering the gas usage and leccy off and have gas usage to 20 a month and leccy down to 60 a month .

Means over during summer around 80pm. Keep it this way for another year and when it goes up may actually only pay a little more than do today.

I typically don’t shower at home etc and do at the gym , mrs is same now since she joined , remarkable what difference it makes

Been watching this a few months now. Fortunate to have another 15 months on a £140pm deal.

Been lowering the gas usage and leccy off and have gas usage to 20 a month and leccy down to 60 a month .

Means over during summer around 80pm. Keep it this way for another year and when it goes up may actually only pay a little more than do today.

I typically don’t shower at home etc and do at the gym , mrs is same now since she joined , remarkable what difference it makes
Gas m leccy £30/= last month, expecting £25/= this month n Aug.

How much do you pay for your gym membership though?

Back