Durham squad 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the Northern Echo looks like Durham are looking to sign an overseas player for 2017.
They have a self imposed salary cap of £1,300,000 and apparently can afford an overseas.
To be honest I would hope they are nowhere near that salary cap with the current squad they have to pay for. If they are some players are on a huge wedge for county cricket.

I can't imagine they are anywhere near it, certainly shouldn't be

Reading the Northern Echo looks like Durham are looking to sign an overseas player for 2017.
They have a self imposed salary cap of £1,300,000 and apparently can afford an overseas.
To be honest I would hope they are nowhere near that salary cap with the current squad they have to pay for. If they are some players are on a huge wedge for county cricket.

are you sure you've got that date right? i thought our wage bill was 700-800k or there abouts these days

are you sure you've got that date right? i thought our wage bill was 700-800k or there abouts these days
The wage bill was not disclosed in the article in the Echo . What it states that Durham made a proposal to the ECB that they would have a self imposed salary cap of £1.3 million which the ECB agreed to. Durham apparently believe they have the funds to sign an overseas but Iam not sure if that keeps them within the salary cap or actually what they can afford this season which maybe well below the £1.3 million cap.

The wage bill was not disclosed in the article in the Echo . What it states that Durham made a proposal to the ECB that they would have a self imposed salary cap of £1.3 million which the ECB agreed to. Durham apparently believe they have the funds to sign an overseas but Iam not sure if that keeps them within the salary cap or actually what they can afford this season which maybe well below the £1.3 million cap.

everything i've read suggests we've slashed the wage bill since the days of it being as high as 1.3m

Harker counters this by claiming that Durham had several England players, who had been on central contracts with the ECB, return to the club that season, thereby unexpectedly adding to the wage bill. He also points out that such profligacy has not gone unchecked and in 2014 Durham’s wage bill, net of national insurance and pensions, was £856,500, which made them the lowest in the First Division and 13th of 18 overall.
http://www.thecricketpaper.com/news/county-cricket/1542/durhams-plight-a-cautionary-tale/

everything i've read suggests we've slashed the wage bill since the days of it being as high as 1.3m
Yes it should be especially with Stoneman and Borthwick off the wage bill. I suppose it depends on how much the big earners like Collingwood, Rushy Onions and now Jennings are on and what sort of percentage of the wage bill they take up.

Yes it should be especially with Stoneman and Borthwick off the wage bill. I suppose it depends on how much the big earners like Collingwood, Rushy Onions and now Jennings are on and what sort of percentage of the wage bill they take up.

given that the wage bill was supposed to be around 7-800k and they were probably on at absolute least 100k of that even with a decent rise for keaton and any others that signed [carse, coughlin, hickey?] there must be some wiggle room

given that the wage bill was supposed to be around 7-800k and they were probably on at absolute least 100k of that even with a decent rise for keaton and any others that signed [carse, coughlin, hickey?] there must be some wiggle room
I can't believe the wage bill was as low as that with the two Surrey bound cack handers still on it and Mustard and Muchall. But with those 4 off the wage bill as you say there must be some room to sign someone.

The wage bill must also include the operational side of things and therefore account for Harkers unjustifiable high wedge?

I can't believe the wage bill was as low as that with the two Surrey bound cack handers still on it and Mustard and Muchall. But with those 4 off the wage bill as you say there must be some room to sign someone.

Chief executive David Harker is adamant Durham’s financial problems have not held them back, despite a wage bill slashed by more than half in four years.

In 2012 Durham were the first – and so far only – county punished for breaching the salary cap, which was £1.8m. Hit by a host of former England players coming off central contracts, they nudged above it.

Within a couple of years a cull of senior players ensured it was below the £900,000 mark, and the cost-cutting continues.

Despite that, Harker insists it is not holding the club back.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cricket/david-harker-financial-problems-not-10951559

850k apparently, so it should be around 700-800k having let borthwick, stoneman, muchall, mustard go if not lower

our wage bill is one of the smallest in the 2 divisions
Not sure but by the sounds of it it looks like Botham has asked your mate Harker to continue the day to day running of the club, at least in the short term anyway.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/cricket/david-harker-financial-problems-not-10951559

850k apparently, so it should be around 700-800k having let borthwick, stoneman, muchall, mustard go if not lower
If it was 850k with them on it it should around 600k.

Last edited:
The wage bill at one point was circa £1.8m ie what i think is the maximum. In fact if people remember we exceeded it one year due to Collingwood's England duties being miscalculated presumably by us. It was then reduced by a certain amount due to our having to go cap in hand to the ECB 3 or so years ago, hence no new signings. Clearly it has now further reduced to just £850k ie less than half of what it was 4 or so years ago when MDV and co were here.

I'm only really up for a overseas if he is influential and committed. For example like a Klinger or a Rogers

No idea where they would get the money for such a player marra. Skint means skint.
But if that is the case then they did not have the money to offer Stoneman and Borthwick realistic terms for a new contract. They would both be after as much as a standard overseas player would want.
If what Twisted has shown in one of his posts the wage bill was £850.000 with those two and Mustard and Muchall on the wage bill. All i can say is some players must have been playing for next to nowt if that is accurate.

But if that is the case then they did not have the money to offer Stoneman and Borthwick realistic terms for a new contract. They would both be after as much as a standard overseas player would want.
If what Twisted has shown in one of his posts the wage bill was £850.000 with those two and Mustard and Muchall on the wage bill. All i can say is some players must have been playing for next to nowt if that is accurate.
That was offered before they agreed the deal with the ECB, got relegated and have little chance of progressing in the one day tournaments which presumably means our income will be lower than expected so we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly.

That was offered before they agreed the deal with the ECB, got relegated and have little chance of progressing in the one day tournaments which presumably means our income will be lower than expected so we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly.
Yes I understand that but this article by Tim Wellock in the Echo is stating that Durham are looking to sign an overseas player for 2017 and that they can afford one within their budget and this is since the agreements with the ECB. Iam a little surprised that they would allow Durham to sign an overseas player.

Yes I understand that but this article by Tim Wellock in the Echo is stating that Durham are looking to sign an overseas player for 2017 and that they can afford one within their budget and this is since the agreements with the ECB. Iam a little surprised that they would allow Durham to sign an overseas player.
Sorry, I thought you were just using the contracts offered to those players as the basis of there being enough cash. I guess they can't/shouldn't treat an overseas signing as different to any other signing if it falls within our playing staff budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back