Durham’s T20 Campaign

I just finished Mark Wagh's 'Pavilion To Crease and Back' book which is basically the ex Warwicks and Notts batsman's diary of the 2008 season. I was reading it mainly to learn his take on the final Championship game of the season when Notts fell away spectacularly against Hampshire while we of course beat Kent to clinch out first title.

Also in the book he mentioned the Yorkshire ineligible player rumpus but until I read it I'd completely forgotten that the 17 year old player in question was Rafiq.

I had already got to the ground and paid for the car park when it was called off. Some Yorkies were getting back into their car and told us as they were heading off. Didn’t believe them so rang the ticket office for confirmation 😁

Imagine getting to the quarter final with the current set up!

Also was this incident in Graves memory when he decided to punish us I wonder.

I would doubt it, because in that scenario we were completely and utterly the innocent bystanders.

There were three scenarios following the ‘incident’ (where Rafiq was used as an ineligible player in an earlier group game at Nottinghamshire) and subsequent disciplinary hearing which meant one of three teams could’ve gone through from the group but all of them would’ve been away to us in the Quarter Final regardless

It was either Yorkshire (if they kept the points from what was a win.), Glamorgan (if nobody got the points) or Notts (if they were given the win from the clash with Yorkshire when the ineligible player was played).

In the end Yorkshire kept the win in the win column but were deducted two points meaning Glamorgan progressed.
I had already got to the ground and paid for the car park when it was called off.

Exactly the same as my experience that night.

Last edited:
Franklin' interviewed by Marty after defeat. Usual talk of players hurting and that they have to find a way to get better at this format. A bit of talk about the new Aussie and options for the 50 over comp.
Marty to be fair did mention supporters not being happy about the results in the T20.
Worth watching on YouTube to me it seemed both appeared to know it's coming to an end.
You can log this entry and if he rucks up for the university game in March 2023 you can give me some stick.
Doing the same thing over & over & over again isn't the solution which is all he did in 14 games. Maybe try some different players............ He's out his depth

Promising to note he has finally done an interview for a change..... step in the right direction. Maybe he can face the members at a members forum next?

Last edited:
Doing the same thing over & over & over again isn't the solution which is all he did in 14 games. Maybe try some different players............ He's out his depth

Promising to note he has finally done an interview for a change..... step in the right direction. Maybe he can face the members at a members forum next?
Well as I said after last championship match Bushnell should be batting at 5 for the rest of the championship matches this season no excuses and the senior pros will have to bat around him or miss out.
Personally not to bothered about the t20 for blooding youngsters as long as they are given a chance in the other two other formats. Bushnell has taken his opportunity and others should definitely be given a chance.
Unfortunately I can't really comment on them as I don't get to see them play like I did when they played as an academy XL in the NEPL. The only one I have watched this season is McKinney who is a lanky left hand bat for getting Lyons.

Wasn't keen on him to be honest. Eckersley will be off apparently to study law so we will need another keeper. The keeper we have at the moment is more than good enough so we shall see
North said the other night that Robinson spoke highly of the dressing room

Wasn't keen on him to be honest. Eckersley will be off apparently to study law so we will need another keeper. The keeper we have at the moment is more than good enough so we shall see
North said the other night that Robinson spoke highly of the dressing room
Yeah with Mackintosh only 19 and the next keeper is the Colonels son who is only 16/17 so probably have to sign a permanent keeper.
As long as it's a fair fight and no promises have been given then I don't mind the signing. He is a bit unlucky to have Cox and Billings at the same county.

Back