Dogs of The SMB.

The affection and the mischief have already well and truly started. She doesn't like cuddling up on the sofa yet, possibly because she loves trying to jump down head first like a raging lunatic. Need to have quick reactions to stop the little shit 🤣

She's been getting lots of treats and lots of praise because she does to a lot more toilet time outside than I expected her to do, but we have a new challenge of her now trying to put her scent down in the living room rather than the dining room, so I've had to stop her shitting on the carpet a couple of times. Good thing is that as soon as I see her squatting, I'm off like a shot and usually stop her before anything comes out and as soon as I pick her up, she doesn't do anything until I put her outside. Also helps that we don't shout at her when she has accidents and try and be positive with her when she does well, even if we've just caught her having an accident. Hoping that means she's trained quicker and less hassle for us in the long run.

The downside is it's likely to cost us quite a bit more money as our lass is now thinking that we should get the carpet ripped out and put laminate flooring down all the way through.

Newspaper is always a good help, that’s if you know anyone who has some.

The affection and the mischief have already well and truly started. She doesn't like cuddling up on the sofa yet, possibly because she loves trying to jump down head first like a raging lunatic. Need to have quick reactions to stop the little shit 🤣

She's been getting lots of treats and lots of praise because she does to a lot more toilet time outside than I expected her to do, but we have a new challenge of her now trying to put her scent down in the living room rather than the dining room, so I've had to stop her shitting on the carpet a couple of times. Good thing is that as soon as I see her squatting, I'm off like a shot and usually stop her before anything comes out and as soon as I pick her up, she doesn't do anything until I put her outside. Also helps that we don't shout at her when she has accidents and try and be positive with her when she does well, even if we've just caught her having an accident. Hoping that means she's trained quicker and less hassle for us in the long run.

The downside is it's likely to cost us quite a bit more money as our lass is now thinking that we should get the carpet ripped out and put laminate flooring down all the way through.
Best advice I can give on the toilet training is everytime she wakes up say "Evie out" and walk her to the door and take her out. Even if she has only been asleep for a couple of minutes, do it every time with the "Evie out" instruction.
Eventually she will just walk to the back door when she needs to go.

Bobby is not the sharpest tool in the box, but apart from the odd puddle in the kitchen, he got it in about 4 days.
Repetition and repetition marra.
And try and make sure you and your Mrs do and say the same things to her with all her training.
They are clever dogs marra. She'll get it quite quickly if you are consistant with her.👍

Best advice I can give on the toilet training is everytime she wakes up say "Evie out" and walk her to the door and take her out. Even if she has only been asleep for a couple of minutes, do it every time with the "Evie out" instruction.
Eventually she will just walk to the back door when she needs to go.

Bobby is not the sharpest tool in the box, but apart from the odd puddle in the kitchen, he got it in about 4 days.
Repetition and repetition marra.
And try and make sure you and your Mrs do and say the same things to her with all her training.
They are clever dogs marra. She'll get it quite quickly if you are consistant with her.👍
We're 4 days in and she's started to get it now. A few times today I haven't even needed to say it. She's woke up and walked straight to the baby gate by the kitchen waiting to go outside, so it seems to be working reasonably well.

Me and our lass have always joined forces when it comes to stuff like this. Works perfectly with the kids as we always ask each other and if one of us says no, then it's a no and we back each other up. Same will happen with the puppy. She just needs to be as 'on the ball's with it as I've been. Literally had one eye on the dog constantly for last few days.

We're 4 days in and she's started to get it now. A few times today I haven't even needed to say it. She's woke up and walked straight to the baby gate by the kitchen waiting to go outside, so it seems to be working reasonably well.

Me and our lass have always joined forces when it comes to stuff like this. Works perfectly with the kids as we always ask each other and if one of us says no, then it's a no and we back each other up. Same will happen with the puppy. She just needs to be as 'on the ball's with it as I've been. Literally had one eye on the dog constantly for last few days.
Sounds perfect marra.
Don't think you're going to have any issues by the sounds of it👍

Oh there's definitely issues. We have 3 cats and a kitten who feel slightly displaced to contend with alongside the dog and 2 mental kids. Issues are a fact of life now 🤣🤣
Sounds like a happy house, and full of fun though marra.
Daft dog, mental kids and a playful kitten.

What's not to like?😁

Our black lab is now 16 months old and is a very loving dog. A lot of the advice above is excellent and I found this thread, and still do, very useful.

One thing for you to consider, is think carefully about getting laminate flooring. We had it in the kitchen and she often found it difficult to stop when playing as she slid and bumped into kitchen units.. We put vinyl on top of the laminate which helped her a lot and we kept the the detergent spray handy for the carpet to get rid of any accidents. However she quickly learnt to go outside when needed, helped by treats as rewards.

I am sure you will quickly get to know each other and have great times together.

It is full on like isn’t it. I don’t miss it like tbh.
It is like. Don't get me wrong, I know this is a really important time where we have to be on our game to make the next decade a lot more enjoyable with Evie, but I do kinda long for the days where I have a dog shaped whale to cuddle into on the sofa on a nice warm Sunday afternoon 🤣

Our black lab is now 16 months old and is a very loving dog. A lot of the advice above is excellent and I found this thread, and still do, very useful.

One thing for you to consider, is think carefully about getting laminate flooring. We had it in the kitchen and she often found it difficult to stop when playing as she slid and bumped into kitchen units.. We put vinyl on top of the laminate which helped her a lot and we kept the the detergent spray handy for the carpet to get rid of any accidents. However she quickly learnt to go outside when needed, helped by treats as rewards.

I am sure you will quickly get to know each other and have great times together.
Yeah vinyl was what I said we should do. Still more money spent than I wanted to but might stick with the carpet and hope that the carpet shampooer will do its job and save us some money.

As for Evie, she's already loving so we know we've got a good one, it's just a long road to get to where you're at now.

Yeah vinyl was what I said we should do. Still more money spent than I wanted to but might stick with the carpet and hope that the carpet shampooer will do its job and save us some money.

As for Evie, she's already loving so we know we've got a good one, it's just a long road to get to where you're at now.
You'll be amazed how quickly "she gets it" mate.
It is full on like isn’t it. I don’t miss it like tbh.
Aye, I have to be honest, Me, The Mrs and Bobby, crashed out on the sofas on Sunday afternoon, after a wet windy walk on the moor is a very convivial and relaxing way to end the weekend.

Peace and quiet has a lot going for it 😁

Cassie put herself to bed tonight at 10 pm. I coaxed her out of her crate and put her outside for her nighttime wee. She came hurrying back afterwards as she knows she gets a chew for bed.

I’m not sure how she will be when it is still daylight at 10pm.

Day 5 and feels like we're cracking it. No accidents through the night in the crate and she's slept through from about 1115 until just after 7. Had her down at 9ish and she woke up needing a poo just after 11 and it seemed to work. Obviously not going to get that every night at this young age but nice to see what we are doing is actually working to a degree.

Edit: I click send and 10 seconds later she pisses all over the floor and runs through it 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Laminate is a good plan, but it'll be slippy for the pup and you don't want her injured. Cheap rugs on the laminate in the short term will help.
In the long term, it's easier to remove paw prints from laminate than carpets.😁

On a separate thing, have you seen the buttons that some people train there dogs to use?

Shocking this -be careful where you're walking your dog.

APPEAL FOR INFORMATION
On the afternoon of Sunday 31 March 2024 at approximately 3:20pm an incident occurred on the Coast to Coast Sustrans track between Stanley and New Kyo.
An off road bike was riding illegally on the track at that time and the bike collided with a dog which was being walked by its owners.
The dog was rushed to the vets but due to the injuries it sustained it later sadly died.
If anyone has any information as to the identity of the rider please send a private message to Stanley Police Facebook page quoting incident DHM-31032024-0216 or alternatively email [email protected].

Shocking this -be careful where you're walking your dog.

APPEAL FOR INFORMATION
On the afternoon of Sunday 31 March 2024 at approximately 3:20pm an incident occurred on the Coast to Coast Sustrans track between Stanley and New Kyo.
An off road bike was riding illegally on the track at that time and the bike collided with a dog which was being walked by its owners.
The dog was rushed to the vets but due to the injuries it sustained it later sadly died.
If anyone has any information as to the identity of the rider please send a private message to Stanley Police Facebook page quoting incident DHM-31032024-0216 or alternatively email [email protected].
I'm sick of the little arseholes flying round Stanley at the minute on them electric bikes and motorbikes. If somebody knocked them off with a car they'd be hell on.

I'm sick of the little arseholes flying round Stanley at the minute on them electric bikes and motorbikes. If somebody knocked them off with a car they'd be hell on.
It’s the same on Temple Park in Shields.
Been a bit quiet recently, busy with teacher training and the minute the Easter ‘holidays’ appear so has a lovely dose of Norovirus (which I could have certainly done without) lots of coursework and planning to put in place but managed to have a day out with our nieces at Holmeside Park today.

To save Darcie being alone all day we booked her into daycare. Safe to say she’s had the BEST day and is suitably knackered!
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back