Dogs of The SMB.

Saw a very depressing sight in Lisbon this week. A bloke with 4 pups on a mat with a sign saying: "give money help the puppies."
Every time I passed the dogs were lifeless, obviously sedated to stop them wandering off, running about in the busy avenue. What happens to them when they get a bit older and lose the 'cute factor?'
Been playing on my mind all week this.

Yes I know the floor needs a quick hoover, but this is our first ever dog, Evie. A black lab who has had us ran ragged since we got her on Thursday. She's only 8 weeks old, doesn't listen to a word we say, chews anything and everything (even with loads of chew toys) but also is starting to get a hang on the training we are doing for her.

Already learning how to sit and stay a little bit and whining at the baby gate when she wants to go outside, albeit with a lot of accidents along the way.

A couple of issues include pooing in her crate through the night, even with us getting up and putting her outside (we know she has a little bladder and little bowels) and a little bit of blood in her poo. Done a bit of research and we think it's just down to us changing her food twice since she's came here after realising we shouldn't have put her on to Pedigree. We've put her on Wainwrights now and it's nowhere near as runny and we are hoping that it's just colitis from too many food changes at once. She's still very happy and playing a lot so we aren't too worried currently.

Won't get her first set of vaccinations until Friday, so currently confined to the house and yard so doing everything that we can to not have an unruly dog.

Quick question for my fellow dog lovers. With my Mams dogs being fully vaccinated for everything, would I be able to take the pup up to meet her dogs for the first time, or is it better to be safe than sorry and wait until she's had her vaccinations?
Logon or register to see this image

Yes I know the floor needs a quick hoover, but this is our first ever dog, Evie. A black lab who has had us ran ragged since we got her on Thursday. She's only 8 weeks old, doesn't listen to a word we say, chews anything and everything (even with loads of chew toys) but also is starting to get a hang on the training we are doing for her.

Already learning how to sit and stay a little bit and whining at the baby gate when she wants to go outside, albeit with a lot of accidents along the way.

A couple of issues include pooing in her crate through the night, even with us getting up and putting her outside (we know she has a little bladder and little bowels) and a little bit of blood in her poo. Done a bit of research and we think it's just down to us changing her food twice since she's came here after realising we shouldn't have put her on to Pedigree. We've put her on Wainwrights now and it's nowhere near as runny and we are hoping that it's just colitis from too many food changes at once. She's still very happy and playing a lot so we aren't too worried currently.

Won't get her first set of vaccinations until Friday, so currently confined to the house and yard so doing everything that we can to not have an unruly dog.

Quick question for my fellow dog lovers. With my Mams dogs being fully vaccinated for everything, would I be able to take the pup up to meet her dogs for the first time, or is it better to be safe than sorry and wait until she's had her vaccinations?
If your mam's dog's vax are fully up to date it should be ok.
There are a few experienced lab owners on here who will give you advice on all aspects of your pup and it's behaviours.
Enjoy!

If your mam's dog's vax are fully up to date it should be ok.
There are a few experienced lab owners on here who will give you advice on all aspects of your pup and it's behaviours.
Enjoy!
Thank you. I know the first few weeks are going to be the hardest with not being able to take her outside properly but really looking forward to getting her out and about, especially when she gets bigger and can do longer walks.

Thank you. I know the first few weeks are going to be the hardest with not being able to take her outside properly but really looking forward to getting her out and about, especially when she gets bigger and can do longer walks.

Re walks, iirc the recommendation is 5 minutes walk per month old, 2 or 3 times a day, until she's fully developed. You may, of course know that.

Swindon may be the person to ask, he has Labs?
@Swindon On Tour

Last edited:
Re walks, iirc the recommendation is 5 minutes walk per month old, 2 or 3 times a day, until she's fully developed. You may, of course know that.

Swindon may be the person to ask, he has Labs?
@Swindon On Tour
Yeah I've done reading on that. 15 minute walks twice a day will be good to start with by the time she's allowed out (we're hoping around the 13 week mark but might be later).

What a Cutie Mc Tootie. (That's what we call cute things in Scotland).

Wait until shes had her vaccinations marra.
Other dogs that have been vaccinated can still carry diseases, they are just immune. They can still pass it to unvaccinated dogs.
For the sake of a few weeks it's just not worthi it.
At 8 weeks she is really vulnerable mate.

With regards to training, some rules are good for most breeds, but as someone else said @Swindon On Tour is your man for Labs marra.

Last edited:
Wait until shes had her vaccinations marra.
Other dogs that have been vaccinated can still carry diseases, they are just immune. They can still pass it to unvaccinated dogs.
For the sake of a few weeks it's just not worthi it.
At 8 weeks she is really vulnerable mate.

With regards to training, some rules are good for most breeds, but as someone else said @Swindon On Tour is your man for Labs marra.
This is the line the wife (no) is taking. She'd rather wait until a week or so after her first set of vaccinations at least before introducing them to my mam's dog's. There is parvovirus quite prevalent unfortunately in a few areas around ours, so probably best to be fully safe and wait until second one is done.

This is the line the wife (no) is taking. She'd rather wait until a week or so after her first set of vaccinations at least before introducing them to my mam's dog's. There is parvovirus quite prevalent unfortunately in a few areas around ours, so probably best to be fully safe and wait until second one is done.
👍
Get them both done marra. Time flies. Seems like an age now, but it soon passes. Worth the wait mate

👍
Get them both done marra. Time flies. Seems like an age now, but it soon passes. Worth the wait mate
4 days in and thinking there might be 5-6 more weeks of time with the dog stuck in the house is a little bit maddening. We knew it would be the case, but knew these would be the difficult weeks where the training is the most important. Happy I've been off at the back end of the week and our lass has the joy of doing most of the training.

Also I just had no idea how much we have missed in regards to puppy proofing the house until she's actually got here 🤣

Our vet told us ours couldn’t go out for a further week following the 2nd jab to give it enough time to get fully into her system.

She’s absolutely gorgeous mind and I wouldn’t worry about the carpet, your new hoover will get everything in a week or two

Handsome Fred.

and trying out his new bed yesterday. He approved...

What a loving dog he looks.

https://postimg.cc/rKf4MGGp

What a beauty.❤️
Best advice what @Georgewhitt mentioned, not worth the risk with other dogs until yours is fully vaccinated.
8 weeks is still very young, just keep the praising going with the toilet training and She will pick it up quickly. As soon as She goes in the garden stop and give her praise at her level.
Try sitting on the floor and rolling a ball, surprising how their retrieving instincts kick in. Plenty of praise and those needle milk teeth will give you some fun.

Just lovely family dogs. She will give you so much enjoyment and affection.
Equally the mischief won’t be far away.😂

Last edited:
What a loving dog he looks.

What a beauty.❤️
Best advice what @Georgewhitt mentioned, not worth the risk with other dogs until yours is fully vaccinated.
8 weeks is still very young, just keep the praising going with the toilet training and She will pick it up quickly. As soon as She goes in the garden stop and give her praise at her level.
Try sitting on the floor and rolling a ball, surprising how their retrieving instincts kick in. Plenty of praise and those needle milk teeth will give you some fun.

Just lovely family dogs. She will give you so much enjoyment and affection.
Equally the mischief won’t be far away.😂
The affection and the mischief have already well and truly started. She doesn't like cuddling up on the sofa yet, possibly because she loves trying to jump down head first like a raging lunatic. Need to have quick reactions to stop the little shit 🤣

She's been getting lots of treats and lots of praise because she does to a lot more toilet time outside than I expected her to do, but we have a new challenge of her now trying to put her scent down in the living room rather than the dining room, so I've had to stop her shitting on the carpet a couple of times. Good thing is that as soon as I see her squatting, I'm off like a shot and usually stop her before anything comes out and as soon as I pick her up, she doesn't do anything until I put her outside. Also helps that we don't shout at her when she has accidents and try and be positive with her when she does well, even if we've just caught her having an accident. Hoping that means she's trained quicker and less hassle for us in the long run.

The downside is it's likely to cost us quite a bit more money as our lass is now thinking that we should get the carpet ripped out and put laminate flooring down all the way through.

Back