Dogs of The SMB.

Hendricks, our working cocker spaniel, bred from an agility female and working gundog male. Qualified for the semi final at next years international agility festival where the top 6 of 20 go to crufts. He absolutely loves it, shouts the whole way round. We've had multiple offers to breed from him, and probably will once he has had all his health tests done. He will almost certainly be the father of our next dog.

Logon or register to see this image

Our older cavalier kings charles spaniel, Coco, she's 9 now. Got upto grade 7 in agility (top grade), but was never fast enough to progress beyond that to the level Hendricks can. She was due to move to veterans classes when covid hit, now she isn't jump fit so has fully retired. Just gets a run through a few tunnels or over a dog walk here and there. This was taken about 5 or 6 years ago when she was cut a bit too short for my liking,

This is the first show us your dogs thread where we've had two rather than 3 to show. We lost our first cavalier in April due to a mix of her heart giving way and a genetic spinal issue the breed suffers with. She was the reason we got into agility and without her our lives would be very different, but she is also the reason I can never recommend anyone gets a cavalier king charles spaniel.

Hendricks, our working cocker spaniel, bred from an agility female and working gundog male. Qualified for the semi final at next years international agility festival where the top 6 of 20 go to crufts. He absolutely loves it, shouts the whole way round. We've had multiple offers to breed from him, and probably will once he has had all his health tests done. He will almost certainly be the father of our next dog.

Our older cavalier kings charles spaniel, Coco, she's 9 now. Got upto grade 7 in agility (top grade), but was never fast enough to progress beyond that to the level Hendricks can. She was due to move to veterans classes when covid hit, now she isn't jump fit so has fully retired. Just gets a run through a few tunnels or over a dog walk here and there. This was taken about 5 or 6 years ago when she was cut a bit too short for my liking,

This is the first show us your dogs thread where we've had two rather than 3 to show. We lost our first cavalier in April due to a mix of her heart giving way and a genetic spinal issue the breed suffers with. She was the reason we got into agility and without her our lives would be very different, but she is also the reason I can never recommend anyone gets a cavalier king charles spaniel.
Hendricks is absolutely mint

My like is for the first two parts of the post, not the last. Hendricks looks like he's having massive amounts of fun there and Coco is lovely. You're not the first person I've known to have reservations about the health of cavalier king charles spaniels.

I love this pic I took of Jack and Charlie - both border collies

Wish I could get one as nice of mine. They’re lovely and that’s a great picture.

Don’t get me wrong they’re both class but Hendricks is smart as owt. Nice pics mate.

Hendricks is absolutely mint
My like is for the first two parts of the post, not the last. Hendricks looks like he's having massive amounts of fun there and Coco is lovely. You're not the first person I've known to have reservations about the health of cavalier king charles spaniels.

he's a machine when he's put on that start line, but unlike most working cockers I know he is really calm and relaxed in the house. I think the cavaliers taught him that. My wife runs him, and together they have a very real chance, on multiple fronts, of being at crufts together in 2022.

As much as I love the cavalier breed, Rosie our first cost our insurance over £4000 to be diagnosed with syringomyelia which meant pain meds for life, and I am 99% certain coco has it too. It's heartbreaking to see. They are such a lovely bread to be inflicted with constant pain is horrendous and I won't support the kennel club in keeping a breed standard for them. I know of a program to breed in cocker spaniel into the line, then breed it out again until the SM comes back. But obviously that program won't have the 5 generation KC paperwork even if it ends up with more healthy dogs.

edit, better picture of coco in her prime

Last edited:

Back