Does anyone live in Pennywell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I went to Pennywell with one of the brothers in the early 1980's so he could get some smoke. I had lived in some rough holes and seen some very rough places but Pennywell was right up there as far as dodgy, rough places were concerned, bits of it were like Hamsterdam from The Wire !! I was left to guard the car for the five minutes it took and was relieved when we got out without incident. It sounds like it has changed a lot.
One of my best mates was from Pennywell and he wouldn't have anything good said about it.

Do fuck off.

Ya big fanny.

I miss The Eagle like. Best boozer in Sunderland back in the day. Used to love awaydays with The Eagle Army.
That's me. :)
I was a young lad, obviously not from around those parts and was left with the car. They started circling. Luckily the bro knew some of the local lads.
We never stopped for a drink, funnily enough.
I always remember the Pennywell lot at football in the 1970's. :eek:

Do fuck off.
I did, as soon as i could.
The bit we went to was more or less all boarded up, there were hatches in doors on houses and plenty of youngsters just hanging around clocking anyone who was around. I exaggerated a bit about Hamsterdam, but it wasn't far off.

Last edited:
I did, as soon as i could.
The bit we went to was more or less all boarded up, there were hatches in doors on houses and plenty of youngsters just hanging around clocking anyone who was around. I exaggerated a bit about Hamsterdam, but it wasn't far off.

A bit?

Sorry marra I just think people slag Sunderand off and though it has it's problems it's a pretty solid place. Never been bothered about anywhere I have been in Sunderland.

Aye, we went all the way through school together and now his son has gone through school and is a good mate of my 15 year old!

Knew he niver went to the Comp. Used to be into cars from a young age and knew him through a mate who was into them anarl. Pretty sure he was seeing a lass called Angie who I used to gan to school with. It was 20-odd year ago mind.

A bit?

Sorry marra I just think people slag Sunderand off and though it has it's problems it's a pretty solid place. Never been bothered about anywhere I have been in Sunderland.
I'm not slagging it off, simply telling my experience in Pennywell in the early 80's. It was rough as fuck.
Barclay Court is about the only place i've actually felt bothered being at in Sunderland. But that's another story.

A bit?

It was rough at one time though Harry, I lived there in the 60's and it was class, but that was before they moved all the shite in, when I came back to the Town I drove around there just out of curiosity,
people lying on a street corner pissed and knocking back cans (8 .30 in the morning) no house was occupied , I couldn't f***ing believe it, now! it's all flattened and looks fairly peaceful.

The concrete canopy broke off and hit the mar in the leg.

oh well I'd not have been best pleased if that happened to my family................ thowt they must have been mass murderers or something !!!

Any bets Johnna will be all over this post? :lol:[/QUOTE]
Nah, despite the picture the two of them work.

I live in Havelock park which definately isn't pennywell but its on my doorstep. Nee trouble apart from that knifeman robbing the shop and cashpoint.

I live in HP too - Never heard owt about knifemen :/ I am a bit of a hermit though ...

There isn't much left of pennywell at all. That new place looks OK - Hartley Wood.

I live in HP too - Never heard owt about knifemen :/ I am a bit of a hermit though ...

There isn't much left of pennywell at all. That new place looks OK - Hartley Wood.
Eh? Theres loads of it left unless your just counting Palmerston Road and Plawsy Sq.

Knew he niver went to the Comp. Used to be into cars from a young age and knew him through a mate who was into them anarl. Pretty sure he was seeing a lass called Angie who I used to gan to school with. It was 20-odd year ago mind.
We all went to Broadway mate, we were the posh ones from Pennywell;)

It was rough at one time though Harry, I lived there in the 60's and it was class, but that was before they moved all the shite in, when I came back to the Town I drove around there just out of curiosity,
people lying on a street corner pissed and knocking back cans (8 .30 in the morning) no house was occupied , I couldn't f***ing believe it, now! it's all flattened and looks fairly peaceful.
Sounds strange now but very true. When my mam got the house there, we were in Tuscan Road at the time around 76 she was over the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back