Does anyone live in Pennywell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was brought up in Prestbury Road and lived there until I was 30, the ex and my daughter still do. Only twice in all that time did we have any problems with breaking into cars, which would be more or less the average rate for anywhere in a 25 year period, or probably even less. The middle has been knocked out now too, or modernised as in Plazy Square. Nothing wrong with Pennywell just a normal housing estate which was tarnished badly by the Sunderland Echo and its Matchbox City headline, which unfortunately stuck.

From Ford to Pennywell. Anyone else getting frying pan and fire ?

Sorry not sure how to quote, that was my thinking, but the houses in Ford are all tiny cmpared to P/well...

Hello, I am new to the forums and wondering if any of you fine ladies and gentlemen can help me? Me and my hubby and children want to move house. We are currently in Low Ford (though as close to high ford as you can get) and we want to move into a bigger house. Atm our house is too small for our needs, we went to view one up Pennycross road (opp pennycross square) which I fell in love with, however I'm a bit wary of moving up there as it has a bad reputation.
My question is, what is the area like? We are very quiet people, just want to go about our lives with no trouble. My main worry is whether my car would be safe, although its an old car, its my only mode of transport and need it for work and could not afford to replace it.
Also can anyone vouch for any other areas in Pennywell (the closer to Ford the better)? The reason we want Pennywell is the houses are so big compared to ours, and can't move too far due to needing to be close to an elderly relative.
Thanks and looking forward to taking part in more discussions on here :)

I have seen the place you mean and it looks slightly neglected.
There was a camera right in the middle but the kids were still riding around on motorbikes with no helmet and throwing stones.
However, I spoke to a few people there who convinced me there was only a few "problem" families there and that they like the place.
I am sure you will be ok there if you know a few people.

My Gran has lived there for nearly 30 year, seems to be a but quieter now than I can remember it being. Half of it's just fields now anyway. Like other people have said have a look round there at different times, on a Friday night etc. as it'll probably come down to who lives close by.

Hi Zelda it will certainly be a lovely house, can't really advise on the area why not just have a drive around at different times of the day/ night and see for your self whats going on? Best of luck !
Just don't stop or they'll have your wheels off quicker than an F1 pit crew!

Sorry not sure how to quote...
Click the 'reply' link, bottom right of a post. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There have been a few houses in that area on that have been empty to rent, so I'm hoping it was some of the "bad 'uns" that have gone.

I have looked at crime map uk and its the square exactly opposite the house that has the most crimes committed, 12 in one month last year! but around 4-5 on average. Such a shame we even have to question our safety. We should be able to move where ever we want and not have to worry about our car being set alight/keyed.

Wild roaming dogs, gap-toothed children, square-jawed women and a general lack of complete chromosomes.

The houses may be big but the genetic pool is very limited.

Welcome to Pennywell.

Lol!

Thats the thing it has a kind of reputation but I'm not sure where the "jokes" stop and reality starts.

Is there any chance of getting a house up nearer to Prestbury Road or the streets opposite the Broadway, not sure what they are called sorry. I visit my mam in Grindon Lane often and it always seems quiet around there.

Pennywell is an estate, Havelock a separate estate. Bellends the lot of you.
A bit like people who live in hylton lane and say they live in nook side when in fact nook side is only one road.
It's pennywell mate

Lol!

Thats the thing it has a kind of reputation but I'm not sure where the "jokes" stop and reality starts.
Once you close your front door you could be anyware.The odd people sitting on there doorsteps having a drink in the summer otherwise it's fine man

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back