Dodds

Nope.

For it to be a remotely useful metric, you would have to compare your expected goals against your oppositions over a full game, rather than what Dodds has done here by only taking the expected goals of the opposition over 45 minutes…

Or y’know, you could just look at the scoreboard like a f***ing normal person.
This :lol:
The game was that sensational people were streaming out with 10 mins to go.
Sensational ffs.
And yet posters on here said they were buzzing leaving after the game :lol:

Last edited:

Nope.

For it to be a remotely useful metric, you would have to compare your expected goals against your oppositions over a full game, rather than what Dodds has done here by only taking the expected goals of the opposition over 45 minutes…

Or y’know, you could just look at the scoreboard like a f***ing normal person.
From what I can gather, the number that gets churned out is so far from reality that it's simply not all that useful. Far too many non-measured variables will affect it.

I'm by no means an expert on it but all I think it can really be used for is broad, illustrative purposes.

Last edited:
From what I can gather, the number that gets churned out is so far from reality that it's simply not all that useful. Far too many non-measured variables will affect it.

I'm by no means an expert on it but all I think it can only really be used for broad, illustrative purposes.
That Haaland sitter last weekend was only seen as 0.89 on the xG scale, that alone shows what a load of bollocks the whole fad is.

I'm by no means an expert on it but all I think it can only really be used for broad, illustrative purposes.
Yeah, you might be able to use it say, for example, to praise your goalkeeper or defenders for having a good game, or for broadly demonstrative purposes to show your midfielders and forwards are batting above their average, but the way Dodds used it here devoid of the full context, which is we were already 1-0 down after the first half, and without providing our own xG over the half or ideally the full game, is so useless and devoid of purpose, that it’s actually offensive to anyone with half a brain.

This :lol:

And yet posters on here said they were buzzing leaving after the game :lol:
Some fans are desperate to see positives in a season that has digressed into an absolute mess on and off the pitch.

Whilst this sort of misguided fanaticism is admirable it is just so naive and misguided.

We are currently in free fall and it’s self inflicted through pathetic recent recruitment and is also reflected off the pitch on several fronts too.

Time for action and a rethink from the ownership group.

If you think that was a brilliant 2nd half your standards are clearly different to those I have for our club. Runs of defeats are nit to be celebrated either. I've been positive about previous managers but it's clear what he's doing and who he's being led by. In making my earlier post I was highlighting the issues higher up within the club, but make no mistake, if we accept this rubbish and welcome dodds permanently were welcoming relegation.

So we only disagree on recognising the second performance for what it was… very encouraging

What's the betting he wins 3 of the last 4 and gets given the job permanently.
Because by that point, we’ll have fallen so low, that for anyone with a short memory—which there seems to be quite a few of on here— it’ll actually look like he’s performed a miracle, rather than achieved the absolute bare minimum.

You make some interesting points but the gist of your post seems to be that we should be encouraged by an improved performance against the league leaders.

I thought watching the game that Dodds had devised a plan to try and stifle Leicester rather than be proactive about trying to win the game.

Like our start against Swansea the players appeared to be utterly confused and Leicester sensed this and let’s face it should have been out of sight within the first 20 minutes.

This was a Leicester side coming off the back of three consecutive league defeats at the hands of Boro, Hull and QPR but rather than have a go Dodds first thought seemed to be preserve what we’ve got.

I know our lack of striking options is a massive issue but they aren’t going to improve, he simply has to find a way to get us scoring again.

For the life of me I can’t fathom why he doesn’t play Jobe up top and have a go at sides. The way we’re playing I can see this run of defeats extending well into double figures and the owners knee jerking to find a manager capable of keeping us in the league come April.

Maybe Iam easily flattered by 45 minutes of football, but I sense I’ve seen this before in my Sunderland supporting life.

That is a team that can’t score but doing enough to win games. Heads are up, players aren’t hiding, but they are losing. All at the same time as the Manager is trying to instill new setups/tactics

There are a few examples a couple that come to mind are 1977 and Poyets great escape.
Only thing is I cant see who is going to start scoring… but then I didn’t in the two examples quoted.
But will still be employed here as first team coach regardless of which cheap, unemployed failure of a head coach is brought in.

“Best performance in a very long time.”

Oh fantastic. How many goals did we score? How many did we win by?

Iam easily pleased 😃

Last edited:
So we only disagree on recognising the second performance for what it was… very encouraging
It was encouraging but it's also damning for Dodds that our best two performances under him during this spell, the second halves of the Leicester and Swansea games, came after he completely shit the bed tactically. The players only improved once they were behind and forced to play with attacking intent and freedom to try and get back into the games, which just happens to be the style of football that suits them the most.

It was encouraging but it's also damning for Dodds that our best two performances under him during this spell, the second halves of the Leicester and Swansea games, came after he completely shit the bed tactically. The players only improved once they were behind and forced to play with attacking intent and freedom to try and get back into the games, which just happens to be the style of football that suits them the most.

Good post that an interesting argument.
They clear struggling with new setups at the beginning of games.

And we still got beat. Again. That’s the only truth that people like you need to wake up to.

I don’t expect you know how I post, but you will see no greater critic of the club since August.

I was looking at the game in isolation but taking into account, new H Coach trying to embed new tactics to try and get results out of a team without a credible striker and it’s only goal scorer. He’s coaching on the hoof.

I was impressed with the way we played second half and think if we can carry that forward we might surprise a few people. I appreciate its a big if.
But the losses are not all down this HC and he needs to try new things to kick start results.

The owners have put the team in this position all we can do is support the team whilst it gets through this phase and criticise the owners

Maybe Iam easily flattered by 45 minutes of football, but I sense I’ve seen this before in my Sunderland supporting life.

That is a team that can’t score but doing enough to win games. Heads are up, players aren’t hiding, but they are losing. All at the same time as the Manager is trying to instill new setups/tactics

There are a few examples a couple that come to mind are 1977 and Poyets great escape.
Only thing is I cant see who is going to start scoring… but then I didn’t in the two examples quoted.

Iam easily pleased 😃

“We can’t score but we do enough to win games”

How many games have we won without scoring?

What was there’s in the 1st half
I thought we were very good in the second half, made Leicester look shite.
i thought we were decent once he made the subs and the tactical tweak. Problem is though I think he will revert back to Bellingham and Ekwah in advanced roles and it ll be back to the norm. He has to be brave. Take that tweak and line up into the next game.

Good post that an interesting argument.
They clear struggling with new setups at the beginning of games.
I think they only struggle when the set up is to contain or stop the opposition, we've not got a squad that can play that way. Take the handbrake off and allow them to play and they'll usually play like they did in the second half, Dodds thinks he's tactically clever though and is not taking that into account.

Some fans are desperate to see positives in a season that has digressed into an absolute mess on and off the pitch.

Whilst this sort of misguided fanaticism is admirable it is just so naive and misguided.

We are currently in free fall and it’s self inflicted through pathetic recent recruitment and is also reflected off the pitch on several fronts too.

Time for action and a rethink from the ownership group.

Let’s all stop supporting the team then?
If we can’t separate the shit show behind the scenes with what’s happening on the pitch we may as well pack all this supporter malarky in.

Most of my life we have had failed owners but we have always taken encouragement from the lads on the pitch if they are giving everything, which I think they are.

When I think of the journeymen we have had taking the piss in the past it’s good see these kids not letting their heads drop.

To be honest I thought the crowd was great last night and most were of that attitude.

It doesn’t hide what’s happening or that change has to be made, but let’s try and enjoy the match if the lads give us everything

Back