Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Specials

Prediction:

Neil Patrick Harris to reappear in the season finale alongside Angie Watts, in an episode called “How I Met My Mother.”

Before the doctor regenerated, he said "Oh well, here we go again". I'm sure that is a quote from a previous regeneration but I can't think which one. Unless a companion said it, like The Brigadier.
Yeah, that was the third to fourth. But weirdly, what’d now be considered the standard template for regeneration didn’t start until the eighties.

- The first one was something to do with being old and the TARDIS and wasn’t called regeneration.
- second was a face change and exile to Earth as punishment, but within the story was totally particular to Troughton.
- third was some shit to do with Buddhism (the one you’re referring to).
- fourth had something to do with some bloke in overdone white prosthetic.
- fifth where he says, “feels different this time” is basically the modern template for regeneration.

Last edited:

I thought it was canny. The Christmas specials are always a bit more goofy and silly than normal, it's kind of how it goes, but enjoyed it.

Thought Ncuti was superb and the companion seems decent, and lots of decent plot points spinning which are interesting I've noted below (spoilers below after catching a few snippets on twitter)

The whole mavity/gravity thing ain't going away
Who is Anita Dobson's character?
Who's Ruby's mam/what's the link?
Who's that women in the bar who shouted give it some Welly? She was in the "mavity" bit too 😱

Loved it, and loved the singing part, looking forward to the new series in the spring

I watched unleashed after:

So that episode was filmed in January 2023
Anita Dobson is going to be in more episodes as a mysterious character that RTD was currently still writing the part. I was thinking Ruby's Mam or Nana?
One of the goblins is Rachelle Beinhart who played Po in the Teletubbies

Really liked Gatwa as the Doctor. Hadn't seen him in Sex Education, but he seems to have the right amount of charisma and charm for the role. The companion was a bit meh.
Davies shoehorning in his personal fantasies is getting a bit weird at this point and if the ratings don't improve I fear Disney may pull the plug after the two seasons they've reportedly paid for.

Really liked Gatwa as the Doctor. Hadn't seen him in Sex Education, but he seems to have the right amount of charisma and charm for the role. The companion was a bit meh.
Davies shoehorning in his personal fantasies is getting a bit weird at this point and if the ratings don't improve I fear Disney may pull the plug after the two seasons they've reportedly paid for.
Not sure they’ll be too worried about ratings if there’s money to be made.
I enjoyed the episode. As Davies acknowledged there were some obvious influences, he admitted to the musical Buffy episode and clearly, behaviourally if not aesthetically the goblins are basically gremlins.
Gatwa looks like a potentially great Doctor. One thing I’ve noticed is he changes his t shirt quite often and has worn a few different things. Don’t remember previous incarnations doing that much.

Anita Dobson will be some aged regeneration of The Rani. She'll die and regenerate into a gay female American. You've heard it hear first.
Not sure they’ll be too worried about ratings if there’s money to be made.
I enjoyed the episode. As Davies acknowledged there were some obvious influences, he admitted to the musical Buffy episode and clearly, behaviourally if not aesthetically the goblins are basically gremlins.
Gatwa looks like a potentially great Doctor. One thing I’ve noticed is he changes his t shirt quite often and has worn a few different things. Don’t remember previous incarnations doing that much.

That will be for all the different variations of Dr Who action figures they'll be churning out. 😂

10 had the brown suit and blue suit variants. 11 had a red striped shirt version and blue striped shirt version.

Last edited:
What were his personal fantasies?

After watching the Christmas specials, I can't wait until May. A good start.

Ncuti Gatwa was brilliant. Charismatic, funny, just camp enough, most athletic Doctor yet, winning smile. A potential great Doctor in need of strong scripts.

Goblin storyline looked like it might be a bit meh, but RTD brought it to the boil well.

Early days for the new companion.

Completely missed the trans lass in the taxi. Perhaps because it didn't matter to me that she was trans. Seems to be upsetting the professional pissboiler types who watch GB News, which in itself is funny.

Anita Dobson cliffhanger delivered superbly.

Erm I think You might find it was a "funny"

Wheelchair ramps to delight the Daleks ffs :lol:
Depends on source I suppose, plenty of people have been very cross about the inclusive casting and the ramp joke is a pretty poor one. Anyway, Daleks have been able to hover/fly for ages!

Daleks haven't needed ramps for quite some time now.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has a poor grasp of technological trends. They probably need the services of a grandchild to make their iPad connect to the wifi so they can receive news of the outside world from the Daily Mail and GB News.

Daleks haven't needed ramps for quite some time now.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has a poor grasp of technological trends. They probably need the services of a grandchild to make their iPad connect to the wifi so they can receive news of the outside world from the Daily Mail and GB News.
How long for?

Back