Doctor appointments. Bloody ridiculous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I am leader of the country I am proposing a 2 hat system for the doctors.

Too many appointments are taken up by the work shy and the permanent pretendy sick.

Therefore if you work or are a child or an OAP (who has a previous good working background) you will be given a blue hat to wear upon entering the doctors. The rest get a red hat.

When a doctor becomes free, the blue hats automatically queue jump and get in next. Could maybe number the hats to determine the order.

Obviously there may be exceptional cases but that's the general system.

They shut our practice in ryhope and moved us to pallion medical centre near the hospital. Which is a pain to park at because all the spaces are taking up by people dodging paying for parking in the hospital car park.

I had a ear infection a couple of month ago and the earliest appointment they could give me was nearly 2 weeks away.

But they offered me a out of hours appt at River view the same day at 8pm.

The Doctor was pretty decent aswell. Actually examined me unlike the previous one I saw.

I got asked what I thought it was when I went a few years back to ours. Errr nee idea mate that's why am here.

Also seen one fire up Google to work out from my symptoms. Don't bother marra, everything ends up as death on there.

Shite

Last edited:

I've just phoned up to make an appointment, (Happy House, Durham Road) only to be informed that there are no more appointments left this week and I'm going to have to wait until Friday to try and arrange one for next week! It's the first time I've needed to speak to the Doc in over seven years, I'm sure it was never the same back then. Is this the norm now?

Yup, same here. I just don’t bother any more. You have to plan being ill a week or so in advance here. Vanishingly rare I ever go but impossible to get an appointment if you ever need to.

We get asked what it's about. One day I'll tell the receptionist it's because I have the urge to murder people who ask private questions.

I've just phoned up to make an appointment, (Happy House, Durham Road) only to be informed that there are no more appointments left this week and I'm going to have to wait until Friday to try and arrange one for next week! It's the first time I've needed to speak to the Doc in over seven years, I'm sure it was never the same back then. Is this the norm now?
Usually about a two week wait at my surgery because of non attenders taking the piss

I'm at Pallion Health Centre and they have a system of just turning up and basically joining the queue to see the doctor or nurse you want, used it a few times

I rang this morning at 0830 and got an appointment for 1120 this morning.

Maybe if they stopped wasting time with unnecessary appointments, especially Prescription reviews and blood tests every month even though the person has seen a doctor and been told the results are okay for them. But month after month, instead of just getting my prescription renewed, I get called in for a blood test, which comes back as slightly abnormal, and so they want to repeat it and I am told to see the doctor.

To force me to comply with these unnecessary blood tests my prescription isn’t renewed until I do. It’s a bloody farce as each month I’m taking up at least four appointments at the surgery, none of which is actually required if they would put my script back to six monthly reviews.

And there is no point in complaining either. I actually cried over the phlebotomist last month but the cycle has started again this month with yet another letter through the door asking me to go for a blood test. It’s a bloody farce especially as I know there are other people in the same surgery going through the same rigmarole each month.

You're doing this the wrong way.

You need to start a new post on here "asking for a friend" stating the symptoms and ask the SMB faithful for their advice.

When all else fails check in to the A&E on Facebook

Yes. Back at the end of February I had had an ear infection for a couple of weeks - it wasn't getting any better so phoned the GP - I was told the earliest appointment they could give me was 4 weeks! I made a bit of a fuss - so the on call GP called me back and said there was little he could do - and it should clear itself up (to be fair, after 9 weeks, it has).

More recently - the wife (no) woke up with severe dizziness, sweating and a headache (see why I said 'no'?) - anyway - phoned GP - got forwarded to NHS 24 who did some verbal tests, said they couldn't rule out cardiac arrest and sent an ambulance.

Ambulance arrived within 10 minutes (full marks to them) - they did all the checks (wasn't a heart attack which we knew anyway) but they were able to set up an immediate GP appointment. Apparently the best way to get to see your GP is to get the paramedics called out - they actually said as much - they get called out for all sorts and then get to jump the queue at the GP's (which is why there are never any appointments available). No wonder the NHS is in crisis.

Our local practice does appointments in the afternoons. If you are prepared to wait you go in the mornings and will get seen. The wait is usually 45 to 60 minutes. Judging from the comments on here I think we're really lucky.

Grangewood surgery in Shiney can be a pain in the arse if you need to see a particular GP. My GP retired recently, but when he was working you could wait a month or more to see him.
The place has gone right downhill in recent years, and one or two of the receptionists are on a power trip, thinking they’re doctors.

I reckon you could probably halve waiting times if stupid gimps with colds didn’t waste GP’s time. Blocked/runny nose and a bit sneezing and they’ve got ‘the flu’. :rolleyes:

I’d start charging the soft bastards for going to the doctors with trivial conditions like that.

Usually a week or two wait for an appointment at mine. However, you can turn up at 8.00 any day during the week and be seen within a couple of hours, which is fair enough.

Usually find that most dealings with GP surgeries are a nightmare in recent times.

Registered with a new doctors at least 4 weeks ago and asked to be opted in to online prescriptions at the time, was told it would take about a week - no problem. Rang after 2 weeks as had heard nothing, was told it should be done in another week and I'd receive an e-mail with login details - still pretty much no problem. Rang last week and was told that they are still registering new online patients and this was done alphabetically and as they were only at F, this may take some time for me as my surname begins with W (Why they don't do it by date of registration, I've no idea). Was also told that I'll receive my login details via post not e-mail.

Now one of the reasons I'd opted for online prescriptions was that not only is it quicker and easier for me, but it also saves Doctor's appointment times. Now, I have no medication left, every day is becoming more painful and I'll have to book an appointment no doubt in order to resolve this :lol:

Don't get me started on the receptionists either..

Gp are ran weird as fuck these days, you want to see your GP but unless it's an emergency then they won't give you one, so then if if it an emergency you'd think you'd go to urgent care or a and e but if you can make the call to a and e then you don't need to go and you can't go to urgent care unless you make an appointment through 111 and go through all of there stupid questions so they can triage you.

I feel that somewhere along the line the NHS has forgotten that people in need don't want to have to go through the crypton factor to get seen and probably explains why people "waste the NHS" by going anywhere they will be seen by someone.

My GPs has 11 Doctors according to their app, 5 full time and 6 part time one of which trains Doctors retraining to be GPs at Newcastle Uni Medical School.
Seems a lot but clearly not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back