Doctor appointments. Bloody ridiculous!!!

Book online for ours, it generally works okay. When I've needed something more urgent I've gone to the urgent care place albeit they misdiagnosed me so I spent a week on a knackered foot off my tits on Codeine.
The on call doctor has worked well when I've used it.
I can see both sides of the receptionist argument. On the face of it they are rude and unhelpful but when you see the idiots they deal with day in day out and the ones I deal with when they ring the wrong number and get my house, you can understand it.
That said, I was in a couple weeks back and a it was established that the young lad at the counter couldn't speak a word of English. Her response was to raise her voice and say "Did neebody tell ya ya needed an interpreter?":lol:

They shut our practice in ryhope and moved us to pallion medical centre near the hospital. Which is a pain to park at because all the spaces are taking up by people dodging paying for parking in the hospital car park.

I had a ear infection a couple of month ago and the earliest appointment they could give me was nearly 2 weeks away.

But they offered me a out of hours appt at River view the same day at 8pm.

The Doctor was pretty decent aswell. Actually examined me unlike the previous one I saw.

We were in that practice too , before they moved we set up online because two of the family get repeat prescriptions. Everything was ok until one of the prescriptions didn’t get sent to the pharmacy and they asked us to ‘pop’ in and collect a paper one and we realised just what a chew on it was getting to the place.
We’ve actually just transferred to another practice a few minutes walk away from the house because of the hassle getting to pallion from sr3 .

Nope, if you ring Deerness Park Medical centre early enough in the morning you can at least get a telephone consultation the same day
Similar at ours at Park Lane. Give them a ring at 8.30 and you can usually get an appointment within 48 hours. Ring any other time of the day though and it's at least a couple of weeks.

The one time I've had bother was getting stuck going in circles between the GP and the people at 111. 111 said I needed to make an urgent appointment, the receptionist at the GP wouldn't have it. Ended up going to the out of hours place at Pallion.

It's easy to get frustrated with it, but I wouldn't fancy doing their jobs.

Up until six or seven years ago you it was normal to get an appointment for the following day at our health centre. Sometimes you could get them same day. Now it is always 2 weeks wait unless emergency. Apparently this is one of the benefits of a Tory government.
To be fair this started under labour, and the NHS is crippled by bad short termist PFI deals signed off by labour.

People love a random Tory bash on here :)

Up until six or seven years ago you it was normal to get an appointment for the following day at our health centre. Sometimes you could get them same day. Now it is always 2 weeks wait unless emergency. Apparently this is one of the benefits of a Tory government.
Yeah, but Corbyn loves terrorists or something.

Yeah, but Corbyn loves terrorists or something.

Surgeries are full of Palestinians and Muslims these days. English people don't get a look in.

Had to arrange BP readings for a pre-employment check through a GP. It took three weeks before I could get the first one taken at Pallion Health Centre, was in there less than 5 minutes.

I'm all for the NHS subsidising employers. Hope you didn't have to pay anything towards it.

Last edited:
I've just phoned up to make an appointment, (Happy House, Durham Road) only to be informed that there are no more appointments left this week and I'm going to have to wait until Friday to try and arrange one for next week! It's the first time I've needed to speak to the Doc in over seven years, I'm sure it was never the same back then. Is this the norm now?

Phone out of hours, exaggerate what you have say, and who had it for twice as long and you should get an out of hours appointment that evening

What the UK needs is clearly an American based pay as you go system, or a prepaid Insurance Card that gets you to be able to walk into anywhere you want and get treated first...

Can everybody just stop making appointments at the doctors please thank you.

I've just phoned up to make an appointment, (Happy House, Durham Road) only to be informed that there are no more appointments left this week and I'm going to have to wait until Friday to try and arrange one for next week! It's the first time I've needed to speak to the Doc in over seven years, I'm sure it was never the same back then. Is this the norm now?
Try and ring 8.30 am for an appointment the same day as with mine.

If you fail, it's the same routine the following day.

You end up ringing 111 for a walk in or urgent care unit appointment.

Back