Doctor appointments. Bloody ridiculous!!!

Linny

Full Back
I've just phoned up to make an appointment, (Happy House, Durham Road) only to be informed that there are no more appointments left this week and I'm going to have to wait until Friday to try and arrange one for next week! It's the first time I've needed to speak to the Doc in over seven years, I'm sure it was never the same back then. Is this the norm now?

Nope, if you ring Deerness Park Medical centre early enough in the morning you can at least get a telephone consultation the same day

I've just phoned up to make an appointment, (Happy House, Durham Road) only to be informed that there are no more appointments left this week and I'm going to have to wait until Friday to try and arrange one for next week! It's the first time I've needed to speak to the Doc in over seven years, I'm sure it was never the same back then. Is this the norm now?
Yup. I recently had to 'see' a doctor due to a chronic illness which kept me off work sick for 6 months. Every single time I called the practice I was told the doc would call me back. I never actually saw the doc even once. He just talked to me over the phone and told me to go into reception later that day to pick up a sick note.

Nope, if you ring Deerness Park Medical centre early enough in the morning you can at least get a telephone consultation the same day
^^^

That's the fuckers!

Last edited:
Gp are ran weird as fuck these days, you want to see your GP but unless it's an emergency then they won't give you one, so then if if it an emergency you'd think you'd go to urgent care or a and e but if you can make the call to a and e then you don't need to go and you can't go to urgent care unless you make an appointment through 111 and go through all of there stupid questions so they can triage you.

I feel that somewhere along the line the NHS has forgotten that people in need don't want to have to go through the crypton factor to get seen and probably explains why people "waste the NHS" by going anywhere they will be seen by someone.

If I ring I'm told theres nothing that week.
Our lass rings and she usually gets in the same day.
Ring for the bairns and we are in within a couple of hours.

Getting past the receptionist is half the battle.

I never have a problem getting an appointment but our lass has loads. Probably because I don't care who sees me just that I am seen. Invariably get one on the day if I am prepared to drop everything and go. I think our surgery is great whereas she thinks it's hopeless.

Pretty standard but if you need to see someone sooner then tell them that on the phone and they should get you an emergency appointment.

They shut our practice in ryhope and moved us to pallion medical centre near the hospital. Which is a pain to park at because all the spaces are taking up by people dodging paying for parking in the hospital car park.

I had a ear infection a couple of month ago and the earliest appointment they could give me was nearly 2 weeks away.

But they offered me a out of hours appt at River view the same day at 8pm.

The Doctor was pretty decent aswell. Actually examined me unlike the previous one I saw.

My GP down here usually has plenty of availability for the same week and no problem getting one early the next week, no idea how as it must cover thousands upon thousands of people.

Moved onto online booking last year and it's great to be able to pick the appointment quickly and easily.

9am-11am you can call up for a same day appointment. If you ring up at any other time you can only arrange appointments for the following week.

Canny system.

Had to arrange BP readings for a pre-employment check through a GP. It took three weeks before I could get the first one taken at Pallion Health Centre, was in there less than 5 minutes.

Up until six or seven years ago you it was normal to get an appointment for the following day at our health centre. Sometimes you could get them same day. Now it is always 2 weeks wait unless emergency. Apparently this is one of the benefits of a Tory government.

Back