Do you believe Aliens are already here?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously doubt aliens would bother coming here. As mentioned earlier in the thread, if they have the capability to travel the vast distances involved they're presumably so much more advanced than us that they wouldn't really get any benefit from it.

Always think it's mad how, in addition to having to find a planet with intelligent life, you also have to find it at the right time. If someone saw earth a few billion years ago they'd find nothing. Now we're here, but a few billion years in the future (or potentially much sooner) they might find nowt again, or our planet will have been destroyed when the sun dies, leaving no trace. I'm certain there's life elsewhere, too many suns and planets for there not to be, but doubt we'll ever have encounters with them, aside from maybe some form of single cell thing on Mars or somewhere
ive sort of said its not happened as they are just too far away.. but.. we were travelling on horses 200 years ago and now we are planning on sending people to mars.. so in a million or billion years who knows what the technology will be? i think you right though its not a matter of where they come from but a matter of when..

ive sort of said its not happened as they are just too far away.. but.. we were travelling on horses 200 years ago and now we are planning on sending people to mars.. so in a million or billion years who knows what the technology will be? i think you right though its not a matter of where they come from but a matter of when..
That's a sensible hypothesis marra.

Do de do dum derrrrrrrr
Daa Dee Doo Daa Daa

Last edited by a moderator:
These conversations are all very interesting but even if there is intelligent life elsewhere we will never come face to face with it.

Unless of course they or us develop a way of travelling faster than the speed of light and then by some.

It makes for brilliant science fiction but it will never make science fact.

These conversations are all very interesting but even if there is intelligent life elsewhere we will never come face to face with it.

Unless of course they or us develop a way of travelling faster than the speed of light and then by some.

It makes for brilliant science fiction but it will never make science fact.
    • The New York Times, January 13, 1920. The Times offered a retraction on July 17, 1969, as Apollo 11 was on its way to the moon.[2]
  • To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth—all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances.
Someone said a similar thing about space flight and it's development. Never say never.;)

Put the quote, then.

"“Somewhere in the cosmos, perhaps, intelligent life may be watching these lights of ours aware of what they mean,” Hawking said. “Or do our lights wander a lifeless cosmos, unseen beacons announcing that here on our rock, the universe discovered its existence?.”"

And seeing as though the "aliens" section of the story was talking about the SETI program, remind me again how many intelligent alien civilisations SETI has discovered?

Put the quote, then.

"“Somewhere in the cosmos, perhaps, intelligent life may be watching these lights of ours aware of what they mean,” Hawking said. “Or do our lights wander a lifeless cosmos, unseen beacons announcing that here on our rock, the universe discovered its existence?.”"

And seeing as though the "aliens" section of the story was talking about the SETI program, remind me again how many intelligent alien civilisations SETI has discovered?
1 us

And while we're quoting Hawking...

"While Hawking expresses near certainty that alien life exists in the universe, he does not believe aliens have visited Earth in UFOs or at any point in history. "Why hasn't the Earth been visited, and even colonised?" Hawking wrote on his official website. "I discount suggestions that UFOs contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant.""

Hawking supported a search for alien life, but was skeptical of peaceful first contact

And while we're quoting Hawking...

"While Hawking expresses near certainty that alien life exists in the universe, he does not believe aliens have visited Earth in UFOs or at any point in history. "Why hasn't the Earth been visited, and even colonised?" Hawking wrote on his official website. "I discount suggestions that UFOs contain beings from outer space. I think any visits by aliens, would be much more obvious, and probably also, much more unpleasant.""

Hawking supported a search for alien life, but was skeptical of peaceful first contact
I loved the bloke me like, knows his stuff.

Hawking said: "We don't know much about aliens, but we know about humans. If you look at history, contact between humans and less intelligent organisms have often been disastrous from their point of view, and encounters between civilizations with advanced versus primitive technologies have gone badly for the less advanced. A civilization reading one of our messages could be billions of years ahead of us. If so, they will be vastly more powerful, and may not see us as any more valuable than we see bacteria."

"While Hawking expresses near certainty that alien life exists in the universe, he does not believe aliens have visited Earth in UFOs or at any point in history.
So aliens more than likely do exist then.
I also didn't believe aliens have visited Earth at any point in history until I looked closely at credible sighting, I know millions of ufo/alien sighting are bullshit but the credible ones really made me take notice and research it further and the result of that research makes me believe aliens do exist and they are closer than people think. I do not know this for a fact but its what I believe. Its always important to have a sceptical mind and that trumps everything including my belief but you don't know the truth anymore than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
    • The New York Times, January 13, 1920. The Times offered a retraction on July 17, 1969, as Apollo 11 was on its way to the moon.[2]
  • To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth—all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances.
Someone said a similar thing about space flight and it's development. Never say never.;)
Even if you could travel at the speed of light or close to it, it would take years to reach the nearest star, some thousands. So which star do you pick to travel to? There's no guarantee that they'll even be there when you arrive as some of what we see today is how things were thousands of years ago. It's a highly enjoyable fantasy, but that's all it will ever be.

Apart from the stresses on the human body accelerating to and decelerating from light speed there is also the small matter of cosmic dust to contend with. Hitting even the tiniest amount would destroy any space craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back