Do we need to do a Coventry

I’m hoping the big sale turns out to be Patterson and we keep the rest…apart from all the strikers, Dack, Triantis and the loans. If we sell Bellingham we’ll rinse whoever the buyer is. Wouldn’t be unhappy if we managed to get decent money for Ba, Bennette, Aouchiche and Hjelde

I remember comparing us just a couple of months ago to last seasons playoff contenders and we were looking great.

Cov and Boro were struggling. Millwall were in the relegation zone.

But Cov are a prime example of a club that had to make some difficult decisions, took some time to gel, but are now looking like a far more rounded team then they were last season.

Gykoress and Hamer were a massive loss. But they reinvested 35 million well and we would likely snap your hand off for their season. They stand a good chance still of making the playoffs and an FA Cup Semi.

Ipswich a different but similar example of a club that didn’t sell players for big money but have invested in every position to create a strong team.

If the board haven’t got the money to spend big this summer but we can be cost neutral (no reason to think we can’t based on previous windows) I’d reluctantly take selling Clarke and Neil to fund a full team strengthening. Whether we spend it wisely is a different question but Cov are a good example of a club that sold a couple of top players to improve overall.
Nail on the head. Recruitment needs to be better and we need to replace quality with quality which Coventry have done. I can see us pulling in some really good money this summer but it all comes down to whether they invest in the right areas and in players that are first team ready and not prospects.

Birmingham sure did a job on you yesterday.

I posted my thoughts on Twitter after the game. From hearing from the fans who were there, none of the 11 were interested. And the subs that came on in the second half changed nothing.

If I had any link to Robins, I would be telling them all that no Wembley squad place is guaranteed. And that the only way they'll get in the matchday squad is by excelling in training and showing they want it this week.

Can imagine one or two using the occasion as a shop window for a move on, like Vik and Hamer got last season.

They might fall short but it wont be for the lack of goals:

35 goals in total (all comps) scored by their two new strikers so far. (About 15 million in total?)

By comparison our 4 new strikers have scored 3 goals between them (Roughly 4 million spent?)

Last edited:
Nail on the head. Recruitment needs to be better and we need to replace quality with quality which Coventry have done. I can see us pulling in some really good money this summer but it all comes down to whether they invest in the right areas and in players that are first team ready and not prospects.

It's certainly the reinvestment that needs to be looked at. Just checked your deals from this season on Transfermrkt. There does seem to have been movement by your board as you've sold 3 players and taken in €10.5 and spent more than that, 9 players in for €12.3m (figures from Transfermrkt and I'm not including the players released or signed on frees). But the top purchase was Rusyn at €2.5m, who from reports on here has not set the SoL ablaze. Last season, you made zero from sales and only brought in €6m worth of new talent (Ballard highest at €2.3m)

For a team of your expectations, you can't keep buying from the charity bin. Having consistently high attendances and the money that brings in, you should be able to have more funds to support the manager. Yes, you may find a quality deal once in a while. But for the most part, your transfer pot is worse than some League 1 teams. And that's concerning, for your fans and for anyone looking in at you.

But I would also urge caution. Everyone holds Gyokeres up as amazing business but they don't look at the other side of the paper. We signed him on loan in 2021 from Brighton after he'd had a terrible loan spell with Swansea. Nothing to report home about the loan spell. Next season, he started better but was still not outstanding. In total, it took him 18 months to have his breakout season with us. Simms and Wright started this season terribly and another manager would have benched them, thinking they were wastes of money (some of our fans wanted them gone at Xmas). They've been given time to adjust to our style and are now reaping the benefits.

Your board have to acknowledge that results don't change overnight and managers and players have to be backed financially and given the time to see through those changes. Mowbray was getting there with his hands tied before he left/was kicked.
They might fall short but it wont be for the lack of goals:

35 goals in total (all comps) scored by their two new strikers so far. (About 15 million in total?)

By comparison our 4 new strikers have scored 3 goals between them (Roughly 4 million spent?)

After yesterday, we're all of the same mind that we will fall short. And potentially by a big margin.

We've had a lot of positives this season and it's something to build on for next. There shouldn't be any gelling period as everyone knows everyone else in the squad and any incoming players will be given time. And the pitch is ours on a long term tenancy so no eggball matches to mess with the surface :lol: Which all means we kick on from the first game of the new season, not have to wait for 10-15 games to get everything up to speed.

It should also even expectations among our fans. We've had the blowhards who think we should be winning every game 3 or 4-0 and get annoyed on social media when we don't. Once they've seen that promotion isn't a gift and we have to earn it, it should settle us down as well.

Cov are on a positive track.

Now to sort out Sunderland ;)

Last edited:
If Clarke goes for 25, if rumours are correct, a third of that goes to spurs, meaning there’d be £17m left….half that as you suggest would be £8.5m to improve the team…as well as replacing Clarke.
Not such an easy task at those numbers

It isn't but that's reality.

Our fans will no doubt be screaming if we don't spend 15m as many of our fans are pretty thick

Play off semi final last year. Stewart sold for 10 mill. Shite and loans brought in. Never kicked on, Mowbray left because of it.
Thus my discontent with Speakman who I want fired and KLD to sell up. Having said that the new FFP rules in the PL will slow down everyones movements up the leagues compared to pervious years my thoughts…

It's certainly the reinvestment that needs to be looked at. Just checked your deals from this season on Transfermrkt. There does seem to have been movement by your board as you've sold 3 players and taken in €10.5 and spent more than that, 9 players in for €12.3m (figures from Transfermrkt and I'm not including the players released or signed on frees). But the top purchase was Rusyn at €2.5m, who from reports on here has not set the SoL ablaze. Last season, you made zero from sales and only brought in €6m worth of new talent (Ballard highest at €2.3m)

For a team of your expectations, you can't keep buying from the charity bin. Having consistently high attendances and the money that brings in, you should be able to have more funds to support the manager. Yes, you may find a quality deal once in a while. But for the most part, your transfer pot is worse than some League 1 teams. And that's concerning, for your fans and for anyone looking in at you.

But I would also urge caution. Everyone holds Gyokeres up as amazing business but they don't look at the other side of the paper. We signed him on loan in 2021 from Brighton after he'd had a terrible loan spell with Swansea. Nothing to report home about the loan spell. Next season, he started better but was still not outstanding. In total, it took him 18 months to have his breakout season with us. Simms and Wright started this season terribly and another manager would have benched them, thinking they were wastes of money (some of our fans wanted them gone at Xmas). They've been given time to adjust to our style and are now reaping the benefits.

Your board have to acknowledge that results don't change overnight and managers and players have to be backed financially and given the time to see through those changes. Mowbray was getting there with his hands tied before he left/was kicked.

After yesterday, we're all of the same mind that we will fall short. And potentially by a big margin.

We've had a lot of positives this season and it's something to build on for next. There shouldn't be any gelling period as everyone knows everyone else in the squad and any incoming players will be given time. And the pitch is ours on a long term tenancy so no eggball matches to mess with the surface :lol: Which all means we kick on from the first game of the new season, not have to wait for 10-15 games to get everything up to speed.

It should also even expectations among our fans. We've had the blowhards who think we should be winning every game 3 or 4-0 and get annoyed on social media when we don't. Once they've seen that promotion isn't a gift and we have to earn it, it should settle us down as well.

Cov are on a positive track.

Now to sort out Sunderland ;)
We basically did a scattergun approach. Trying to find the next gem for cheap money like we did with Stewart.

Our hope is that with us having these young players on long term deals, any players sold for big money (Clarke, Patterson etc) needs to be replaced by a decent finding and not just a kid signed for a pittance.

We basically did a scattergun approach. Trying to find the next gem for cheap money like we did with Stewart.

Our hope is that with us having these young players on long term deals, any players sold for big money (Clarke, Patterson etc) needs to be replaced by a decent finding and not just a kid signed for a pittance.

Agree with your first point. We've done the scattergun idea before and it doesn't work. You may be extremely lucky and get that one talent that will be a decent sell-on but they really are a grain of sand on a beach.

And while I do hope you can benefit from any sales, losing a key player for a reasonable amount will only hurt more if you continue to use the same scouting approach and end up polishing turds.

Unfortunately, it will still be down to your board to get in an effective Recruitment team who can look abroad for same level or lower league players. They're frequently cheaper, especially from Scandinavia, and a player from a different league setup would likely boost your fanbase's enthusiasm as the ambition is more evident.

Back