Do we need to do a Coventry

This.

Sick of seeing clubs like that show more ambition than us.

The sol would have been toxic had we done what Coventry did in the summer along with the start they made

Compare the signings Ipswich made in the summer to the ones we made when we were promoted. I’d say we made the more ambitious signings. They just happen to be having a season where everything is going right for them

The sol would have been toxic had we done what Coventry did in the summer along with the start they made

Compare the signings Ipswich made in the summer to the ones we made when we were promoted. I’d say we made the more ambitious signings. They just happen to be having a season where everything is going right for them

Get your point and I'd agree it's about fan expectations. We've been fortunate that we've seen how Robins gets the best from his squad so we're prepared to give him time. Sunderland fans are desperate for success which is understandable. I've been shouted down on here when I've said your fans don't give players or managers time. While this forum isn't the entire Sunderland fanbase, the reactionary comments after just one defeat hits ridiculous highs. Before your win at the weekend, there were threads about relegation. And then one win and someone pipes up "Are the Playoffs still in reach"..... That's not a healthy way to support a club.

But then, you're being a bit too dismissive of what Ipswich have done this season. I'll be the first to admit that I had Ipswich down to struggle or even get relegated at the start of the season. But it's not just about things going right. They have a very good manager and a young squad who have some serious talent. Luck goes some way in season but what they've achieved is down to hard work, decent training and good recruitment. Wouldn't surprise me if they went up, they'd battle some established PL teams into submission.

Good job Robins doesn't work to projections. If you'd done a projection back in September, we'd have been favourites for relegation.

As it is, we're 4 points behind and a game in hand on Norwich in 6th. We have some tough games to come up, including against 3 of the top 4 so we may need some unlikely help. Norwich play Leicester today and while I hope both lose, a Leicester win is more favourable than a Norwich one.
Robbins really needs to keep an eye on those projections.

Robbins really needs to keep an eye on those projections.

Yeah, think we've bypassed a walk up a gentle gradient to a full ascent of Everest. But still only 8pts behind Norwich and 4 games to go with 12pts available.

From the reports from St Andrews, the players weren't in it at all. Some may have the Semi-Final in their heads and not wanting to get hurt or miss out.

Have been saying all season that the Playoffs would have been a bonus. This was intended to be a rebuild year and we've still got a small squad compared to last years successes. We've had some great results from it and still have the FA Cup Semi-Final in a week. There have been far more positives to praise than negatives.

Looks like we'll both have games in the Championship next season. Am pleased that Sunderland have picked up some unexpected points recently to remove your relegation worries, not that there should have been any.

Yeah, think we've bypassed a walk up a gentle gradient to a full ascent of Everest. But still only 8pts behind Norwich and 4 games to go with 12pts available.

From the reports from St Andrews, the players weren't in it at all. Some may have the Semi-Final in their heads and not wanting to get hurt or miss out.

Have been saying all season that the Playoffs would have been a bonus. This was intended to be a rebuild year and we've still got a small squad compared to last years successes. We've had some great results from it and still have the FA Cup Semi-Final in a week. There have been far more positives to praise than negatives.

Looks like we'll both have games in the Championship next season. Am pleased that Sunderland have picked up some unexpected points recently to remove your relegation worries, not that there should have been any.
Sorry I couldn’t resist. You’ve still had a very good season, you just gave yourselves too much to do after a poor start. Maybe an FA Cup final as well.

Birmingham sure did a job on you yesterday.

I hope we don't spend the best part of a quarter of a century outside the top flight.

It could happen obviously, but it would be awful.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever

It's a big summer for the club without a doubt.

Clarke will definetly go for big money but people think football is fantasy football. You sell a player for 25m therefore you should spend that 25m taking no account of wages.

I'd like us to reinvest at least 50% of whatever fees we receive but got a horrible feeling we won't.

If Clarke goes for 20m we should be spending 10m as minimum

It's a big summer for the club without a doubt.

Clarke will definetly go for big money but people think football is fantasy football. You sell a player for 25m therefore you should spend that 25m taking no account of wages.

I'd like us to reinvest at least 50% of whatever fees we receive but got a horrible feeling we won't.

If Clarke goes for 20m we should be spending 10m as minimum
If Clarke goes for 25, if rumours are correct, a third of that goes to spurs, meaning there’d be £17m left….half that as you suggest would be £8.5m to improve the team…as well as replacing Clarke.
Not such an easy task at those numbers

Back