Disney have ruined STAR WARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

I finished watching Clone Wars a couple of weeks ago. And that has been far far better than the prequel films. The various arcs around the individual clone troopers was interesting, especially one Clone trying to uncover why one of his squad started going nuts, and discovers a brain chip thing that had been faulty.

The Anakin Skywalker character is more developed and a bit more likeable than the film version.... Unfortunately Jar Jar Binks is still as annoying.

And the final few episodes of series seven were very well done. Tying into what happened during the Order 66 thing.... Ahsoka Tano trying to stay alive on a Star Destroyer full of Clone Troopers out to kill her and stay one step ahead of Darth Maul who is also on the ship.

I finished watching Clone Wars a couple of weeks ago. And that has been far far better than the prequel films. The various arcs around the individual clone troopers was interesting, especially one Clone trying to uncover why one of his squad started going nuts, and discovers a brain chip thing that had been faulty.

The Anakin Skywalker character is more developed and a bit more likeable than the film version.... Unfortunately Jar Jar Binks is still as annoying.

And the final few episodes of series seven were very well done. Tying into what happened during the Order 66 thing.... Ahsoka Tano trying to stay alive on a Star Destroyer full of Clone Troopers out to kill her and stay one step ahead of Darth Maul who is also on the ship.
Is it better than Rebels?

There was a lot shit. A lot of the episodic content doesn't make sense. Shit-Clint Olyphant waddling about in Fett's 'armour' (a fuckin' helmet and a chestplate) 'cos he's the only sheriff in town. Why didn't Fett just gan n bray him? Ridiculous.

The butch wife was awful anarl.

Fett was always crap.

We dinnit like.

And it's cans.
Would still like to buck

Speak for yourself. If that was your reasons for wanting a new trilogy you never deserved one
It’s the exact reason why a large percentage of the ‘fan base’ can’t move on beyond 1983, or even 1977...
Surely there's absolutely no way they can "cancel" the sequel trilogy. If they do, the entire thing is broken forever.
There’s a fan theory that filoni has already done it with what you’re watching with rebels, mando & Ahsoka.

I’ve not seen rebels, but it supposedly revolves round a scene involving ahsoka in some dimension/time jump... I don’t follow the theory but if she’s dies you get the current outcome, if she lives you get a parallel timeline where the current three films don’t happen. By appearing in mando, filoni is retro-fitting the skywalker arc...

Logon or register to see this image

it’s all bit incel type wishful thinking imho... as I said in the mando thread, whenever the story comes close to the skywalker arc certain sections begin to loose their shit.

Last edited:
There’s a fan theory that filoni has already done it with what you’re watching with rebels, mando & Ahsoka.
I’ve not seen rebels, but it supposedly revolves round a scene involving ahsoka in some dimension/time jump... I don’t follow the theory but if she’s dies you get the current outcome, if she lives you get a parallel timeline where the current three films don’t happen. By appearing in mando, filoni is retro-fitting the skywalker arc...
That's exactly the type of bullshit I was hoping to avoid :(

AKA "Doing a Terminator".
Nothing matters anymore, because you have no reason to suspect what you're watching will end up being the final version.

If you take Jar Binks out of the phantom menace it isnt *that* bad.

In fact jar-jar is symptomatic of all of the problems with the entire prequel trilogy. The films have an entirely different target audience to their story. They are effectively about a little lad growing up and becoming more and more dis-enamored with the jedi order as the order find themselves at war with the sith and the separatists for his entire early life. He's a little lad on the front lines of every major engagement then a young man who gains so much power so rapidly he can exert his will on these battlefields and because this constant struggle is all he has known, because he was never trained in what the jedi order is actually meant to be far beyond a military command structure, he cant understand why the only people that don't give him respect for his combat prowess are the jedi themselves- he cant see the fear they feel at what they are being forced to do and why they fear him as the epitome of that action. There's a slow descent into horror and madness story going on here akin to general Kurtz from apocalypse now. There's a really good subtext there that open up how palpatine was destroying the order well before order 66 by forcing them to react and respond in a way they just werent designed for.

The problem is its a kids film. You cant show that, so there's the odd little nod and the off camera slaughter of a whole village then some kids but even if hayden christensen could deliver the required brando-esque villainy (and lucas could write it) they couldnt put it in a kids film anyway. So the you have these 3 films that are intrinsically about something that happens entirely off camera.

All they really have is the set pieces (the darth maul fight, the geonosis battle and fight with Darth Dracula, the escape from the crashing ship over Coruscant are all good) but with an ultimately completely unsatisfying experience as they had to leave out the actual story and try to ram in a romance that, had they used Natalie Portman at all and had her slowly see skywalker falling into madness and then actually betray him could have been interesting and add something rather than jamming it in in a single scene like she hasnt noticed shits going downhill for the past few years, neither the actor or writer had any hope of delivering. Apart from anything else the jedi just look like idiots.

With the exception of the 1977 Star Wars (which was the easiest to write), George Lucas has always been miles better when he comes up with the overall storyline, characters and ideas and then gives it to someone else to write the script and direct the film. The best stories that he came up were turned into films by award winning writers like Leigh Brackett, Lawrence Kasdan, Philip Kaufman and Gloria Katz, and directors like Spielberg. He had complete control of the prequels and wrote and directed them, which is why they are piss poor.

What the last three films were missing was someone like Lucas to determine the overall direction of the story. In the absence of that we had a remake of A New Hope, a misfire with Last Jedi because they brought in a new writer who just ignored most of what had happened already and made a balls of the new story, and the last one which was a half hearted attempt to give something an arc which had already been bent into a f***ing curly wurly shape.

Decided to watch them all again last year. Flew through them, until I got to the last Jedi which took me 3 weeks to finish.

It's is an absolute pile of horseshit and by far the worst film of the lot.

With the exception of the 1977 Star Wars (which was the easiest to write), George Lucas has always been miles better when he comes up with the overall storyline, characters and ideas and then gives it to someone else to write the script and direct the film. The best stories that he came up were turned into films by award winning writers like Leigh Brackett, Lawrence Kasdan, Philip Kaufman and Gloria Katz, and directors like Spielberg. He had complete control of the prequels and wrote and directed them, which is why they are piss poor.

What the last three films were missing was someone like Lucas to determine the overall direction of the story. In the absence of that we had a remake of A New Hope, a misfire with Last Jedi because they brought in a new writer who just ignored most of what had happened already and made a balls of the new story, and the last one which was a half hearted attempt to give something an arc which had already been bent into a f***ing curly wurly shape.
I don't think anyone disagrees that the vital mistake of the new trilogy was not having the arc framework written first, and then letting the screenwriters and directors figure out a way to make it interesting and exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back