Devestating news. People who have pretend jobs aren't earning money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dooley first appeared on television when she travelled to India as one of the participants on the documentary television series Blood, Sweat and T-shirts in April 2008. Dooley and the other participants were selected to illustrate the typical fashion-obsessed consumer. Thanks to her appearance on the show, and partly because of her interest in labour laws in developing countries, a series was commissioned with Dooley as presenter. Stacey Dooley Investigates began in August 2009 and a two-part special was shown on BBC Three throughout August and September 2009.
So picked off the streets for a show, BBC liked what they saw with her on it and gave her her own show? Not trying to knock the girl. She's made a good career for herself and shines a light on things we'd rather stay in the dark, but it still feels like it could have been pretty much anyone hosting the show, or the traditional approach of a news reporter or correspondent getting to spread their wings.

Coronavirus: Influencers' glossy lifestyles lose their shine

"Israel Cassol - better known as Birkin Boy for his collection of designer handbags worth over £100,000 - is paid hundreds of pounds to attend events and feature brands on his Instagram account. Now he says he has to borrow money from his father to make ends meet. "
His "job" is to take a handbag with him to an event. Get fucked pal

Karen Beddow left her job as a lawyer four years ago to run her family travel blog, Mini Travellers.
This month she's made just £350, down 95% from January.

You had a job, that would have paid your income. Instead, you went down a easier, riskier route. Unlucky

"On Twitter, countless bloggers have posted links to donation platforms on social media, asking people to buy them gifts or send money to #spreadkindness. "
Un-f***ing-lucky. Your pretend job doesn't really exist.

Tabby Warley is a part-time Instagrammer who has been furloughed from her day job in retail. She would have expected to earn around £5,000 through brand partnerships in the coming months but has seen a slowdown in business.
"I'm very lucky that my Instagram is a supplementary income that I'm saving for a house deposit one day," she says. "Obviously clothing retailers have shut down; a couple have gone into administration that I usually work with.
"In the pre-corona world, the trend was for businesses to throw money at influencer marketing..."

The world has gone mad. When will we see that all of these brands are just extracting money from people. Clearly, there's a group of people who simply have too much money and can waste it on vast arrays of luxury goods to the point these brands are making a fortune, and literally throwing cash at people - fuck those people, tax them and get that money into our public services rather than into the pockets of billionaires. Then you have normal people who feel obligated into spending what little money they have, taking out loans to buy £5,000 handbags that are made of £20 of leather and 10minutes time from 13 year old in a Chinese sweatshop.

This culture we live in absolutely disgusts me.

They’re recruiting for harvest/ fruit pickers, they should do that

Reactions: PTR
Ok so what’s the difference between an influencer and a celebrity with followers? What’s the difference between getting a celebrity to advertise your product on telly, and getting a celebrity to advertise your product on Instagram?
One is exposed to millions of awful people that eats away at their self confidence.

Take the jonny Depp sausage advert. He gets paid 2 million quid let's say. Doesn't matter who says what about a bus stop.

Chloe ferry relies on people hitting like and not being bitchy about her fake arse and lips and vacuous lifestyle.

It's like twitter. It's given horrible people an anonymous pedestal with no recourse.

I guess it comes down to worthiness of fame. Famous for acting in films? Carry on. Sell me that Nescafe. Famous for getting views, followers, subscribers on social media? Not a real celebrity. Piss off.
So Caroline Flint wasn’t an influencer then? That was my point.

But regardless,why does it matter whether a company pays a famous person to endorse their product, rather than someone who’s not famous for doing something like acting. Why does it matter? It’s all marketing.
One is exposed to millions of awful people that eats away at their self confidence.
Which one? Surely they both do?

Last edited:
I don’t really get why people get so wound up about influencers. It’s just a different type of marketing.

Companies have always marketed their products. Now, instead of paying billions to marketing companies, they’re paying smaller amounts to individuals, who then benefit directly from it. It’s no big deal. In fact, it’s a wee bit nicer and more personal.

Probably because they’re entitled chancers that are begging for free stuff the second the endorsements dry up.

But regardless,why does it matter whether a company pays a famous person to endorse their product, rather than someone who’s not famous for doing something like acting. Why does it matter? It’s all marketing.

I think it's just maybe our mentality. We know the actor selling us Nescafe may never drink the stuff and is doing it for some money. But it's an advert, or a poster campaign linked to a tv advert of us being told all the aromatic wonders their new blend does to our nose. The social media advertising is like product placement. Tacky. At the core its the same - we want to be like the famous people so buy the things they have or appear to have, but yet a run of the mil advert feels more honest and not underhand.

It's like part of The Truman show. There's product placements so people can eat the same cereal as Truman, but also the wonderfully weird real life advert attempt.

I think it's just maybe our mentality. We know the actor selling us Nescafe may never drink the stuff and is doing it for some money. But it's an advert, or a poster campaign linked to a tv advert of us being told all the aromatic wonders their new blend does to our nose. The social media advertising is like product placement. Tacky. At the core its the same - we want to be like the famous people so buy the things they have or appear to have, but yet a run of the mil advert feels more honest and not underhand.

It's like part of The Truman show. There's product placements so people can eat the same cereal as Truman, but also the wonderfully weird real life advert attempt.
I think it’s just old people kicking off about stuff they don’t understand.

:D

Someone always wins, has more, gets the better outcome etc . Somebody will have to fill a certain position , in a sports team or firm or government etc etc for examples.
It’s life , always has been.
The world is changing and we are getting old , we don’t necessarily understand modern life but the facts remain the same ....
if it’s that easy , do it yourself !
Don’t moan and be jealous just because it’s not you .
Typical of this board this thread .

So picked off the streets for a show, BBC liked what they saw with her on it and gave her her own show? Not trying to knock the girl. She's made a good career for herself and shines a light on things we'd rather stay in the dark, but it still feels like it could have been pretty much anyone hosting the show, or the traditional approach of a news reporter or correspondent getting to spread their wings.

She’s more in line with the BBC 3 target audience than a news correspondent though.

I think it’s just old people kicking off about stuff they don’t understand.

:D
I'm not that old but I don't understand how or why people get caught up in the influence kind of fame. Whether its someone who started as a true nobody, or someone who had someone else's fame to start off from, such as the Kardashian women. I get YouTube influence more because at times it can be like bitesize tv. But people can usually get involved in their own way if its video game stuff as people will try the stuff they see in the videos or try to emulate and all that. But really don't get the more social side of it in a sense of if x turns up to a party with y product it's gonna boost sales! Or as to why people want x at their party in the first place. I guess I just don't see what the person is putting in to get the fame/fortune out of the other side.
She’s more in line with the BBC 3 target audience than a news correspondent though.
Fair point.

Last edited:

Social media posts have to disclose if they’re ads.

Coronavirus: Influencers' glossy lifestyles lose their shine

"Israel Cassol - better known as Birkin Boy for his collection of designer handbags worth over £100,000 - is paid hundreds of pounds to attend events and feature brands on his Instagram account. Now he says he has to borrow money from his father to make ends meet. "
His "job" is to take a handbag with him to an event. Get fucked pal

Karen Beddow left her job as a lawyer four years ago to run her family travel blog, Mini Travellers.
This month she's made just £350, down 95% from January.

You had a job, that would have paid your income. Instead, you went down a easier, riskier route. Unlucky

"On Twitter, countless bloggers have posted links to donation platforms on social media, asking people to buy them gifts or send money to #spreadkindness. "
Un-f***ing-lucky. Your pretend job doesn't really exist.

Tabby Warley is a part-time Instagrammer who has been furloughed from her day job in retail. She would have expected to earn around £5,000 through brand partnerships in the coming months but has seen a slowdown in business.
"I'm very lucky that my Instagram is a supplementary income that I'm saving for a house deposit one day," she says. "Obviously clothing retailers have shut down; a couple have gone into administration that I usually work with.
"In the pre-corona world, the trend was for businesses to throw money at influencer marketing..."

The world has gone mad. When will we see that all of these brands are just extracting money from people. Clearly, there's a group of people who simply have too much money and can waste it on vast arrays of luxury goods to the point these brands are making a fortune, and literally throwing cash at people - fuck those people, tax them and get that money into our public services rather than into the pockets of billionaires. Then you have normal people who feel obligated into spending what little money they have, taking out loans to buy £5,000 handbags that are made of £20 of leather and 10minutes time from 13 year old in a Chinese sweatshop.

This culture we live in absolutely disgusts me.
The lass with a 95% reduction in income used to earn 7k a month running a travel blog? I’m in the wrong game. This is why I don’t support the government propping up the self employed. Most of them can’t wait to tell you how much they earn and how they don’t pay tax or having some swindle going.

Someone always wins, has more, gets the better outcome etc . Somebody will have to fill a certain position , in a sports team or firm or government etc etc for examples.
It’s life , always has been.
The world is changing and we are getting old , we don’t necessarily understand modern life but the facts remain the same ....
if it’s that easy , do it yourself !
Don’t moan and be jealous just because it’s not you .
Typical of this board this thread .
The amount of times I've seen that line pushed out by people. Its a completely terrible argument.

I'm really not jealous. Its irksome to see people bragging about how they get paid a fortune despite putting very little effort in. But then, the last thing in the world I'd want to be is famous.
Completely happy with people being famous for being good at things, but this is just advertising-whoring, frankly. Its morally bankrupt and an utterly terrible example to set for the younger generation. But kids don't see through this stuff - they look up to these absolute nobodies, and want to be them.
I'm not that old but I don't understand how or why people get caught up in the influence kind of fame. Whether its someone who started as a true nobody, or someone who had someone else's fame to start off from, such as the Kardashian women. I get YouTube influence more because at times it can be like bitesize tv. But people can usually get involved in their own way if its video game stuff as people will try the stuff they see in the videos or try to emulate and all that. But really don't get the more social side of it in a sense of if x turns up to a party with y product it's gonna boost sales! Or as to why people want x at their party in the first place. I guess I just don't see what the person is putting in to get the fame/fortune out of the other side.

Fair point.
Kardashians are part of the Hollywood elites iirc. Producers and all that. They didn't just "leap out of nowhere" like they'd have you believe. Its all (literally ALL) fake.

Youbdont see the difference between some Hollywood actor with agents and a lass from byker that relies on likes?

The lass with a 95% reduction in income used to earn 7k a month running a travel blog? I’m in the wrong game. This is why I don’t support the government propping up the self employed. Most of them can’t wait to tell you how much they earn and how they don’t pay tax or having some swindle going.
I get your point, but I think that comment is wildly unfair. Having been self-employed myself, navigating the tax systems was a right pain in the arse, but totally necessary as nobody wants to be knacked by the revenue.

People getting free clothes to go to free parties though, yeah, I doubt any of that finds its way to a tax return.

I get your point, but I think that comment is wildly unfair. Having been self-employed myself, navigating the tax systems was a right pain in the arse, but totally necessary as nobody wants to be knacked by the revenue.

People getting free clothes to go to free parties though, yeah, I doubt any of that finds its way to a tax return.
I did say most, tbf. I realise not all. This is also just my experience. I haven’t known many self employed, but those I do know fit my description.

I don’t really get why people get so wound up about influencers. It’s just a different type of marketing.

Companies have always marketed their products. Now, instead of paying billions to marketing companies, they’re paying smaller amounts to individuals, who then benefit directly from it. It’s no big deal. In fact, it’s a wee bit nicer and more personal.

Rather than the notion of influencing itself, it would be a wee bit nicer if so many of the influencers didn't come across quite so much as vacuous entitled narcissists, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back