Devestating news. People who have pretend jobs aren't earning money

pubs are shut , you’ll be going hungry.

Supplement being the operative word pet ;)
If you pay tax on your earnings from that then fair enough. Otherwise you can't call it a job or business

I reckon those with significant earnings would have to declare. These companies paying them will not be paying cash. There will be a very easily followed audit trail.

Last edited:

My mates 15 year old daughter fancies herself as an influencer. To be fair she did alright, got some free clothes from a high street store as long as she promised to wear them and post so many pics on instagram. It was fine when it started....

He was tearing his hair out six months ago, she genuinely thought her life was made, and started to lose interest in everything else. She was getting no money, but getting free clothes and expecting daddy to drive her to good places for photos. Her boyfriend left her because they had a holiday that was ruined by her always wanting to change her outfit and pose for pictures.

Then it became YouTube videos and pestering her dad to pay for a trip to Ireland so she could do instagram.

All because of people like those in the link. No sympathy
A 15-year-old went on holiday with her boyfriend?

Coronavirus: Influencers' glossy lifestyles lose their shine

"Israel Cassol - better known as Birkin Boy for his collection of designer handbags worth over £100,000 - is paid hundreds of pounds to attend events and feature brands on his Instagram account. Now he says he has to borrow money from his father to make ends meet. "
His "job" is to take a handbag with him to an event. Get fucked pal

Karen Beddow left her job as a lawyer four years ago to run her family travel blog, Mini Travellers.
This month she's made just £350, down 95% from January.

You had a job, that would have paid your income. Instead, you went down a easier, riskier route. Unlucky

"On Twitter, countless bloggers have posted links to donation platforms on social media, asking people to buy them gifts or send money to #spreadkindness. "
Un-f***ing-lucky. Your pretend job doesn't really exist.

Tabby Warley is a part-time Instagrammer who has been furloughed from her day job in retail. She would have expected to earn around £5,000 through brand partnerships in the coming months but has seen a slowdown in business.
"I'm very lucky that my Instagram is a supplementary income that I'm saving for a house deposit one day," she says. "Obviously clothing retailers have shut down; a couple have gone into administration that I usually work with.
"In the pre-corona world, the trend was for businesses to throw money at influencer marketing..."

The world has gone mad. When will we see that all of these brands are just extracting money from people. Clearly, there's a group of people who simply have too much money and can waste it on vast arrays of luxury goods to the point these brands are making a fortune, and literally throwing cash at people - fuck those people, tax them and get that money into our public services rather than into the pockets of billionaires. Then you have normal people who feel obligated into spending what little money they have, taking out loans to buy £5,000 handbags that are made of £20 of leather and 10minutes time from 13 year old in a Chinese sweatshop.

This culture we live in absolutely disgusts me.
I agree I despise bloggers and influencers. One example which disgusts me was on Davina Mcalls last week when she shared a picture of the dress she wore for the bbc Big Night In with.......by the way this is the dress I wore last night #bignightin.
Making money out of a charity do is the lowest of the low

:)
Knew that would come up.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed at the final piece that I wrote. This drive towards brands and the encouragement to spend money on pointless luxury instead of building a better life for yourself is what frustrates me.
We live in a country that relies on foodbanks, and an underfunded NHS, yet there's people being paid a grand to go a party holding a particular bag.
Its not the person's fault - is the system at blame for facilitating this insanity. These brands need to pull their weight and contribute to society, instead of just taking for themselves.
What's basic requirements of government (food banks ,nhs etc ) got to do with people earning a living ,however bizarre it seems to you .? Unless there's tax evasion or exploitation etc everyone does and pays their bit .
I'm sure plenty people's career choices are temporarily not seeming good
Surely these bloggers etc are building a better life ? It's not the life I live in but it is to many .

Got to laugh at all the people saying “these people should get a real job”. If you lot ended up earning £7k a month from YouTube/Instagram you’d quit your job to do it full time in a heartbeat and you’d be lying if you said otherwise!
My main issue with that article is the lass complaining about not having been away since February despite everything that's going on and the lass begging folk to buy her free stuff off Amazon. That's got nowt to do with earnings or talent or anything, that's just people being self-centred and selfish.

Got to laugh at all the people saying “these people should get a real job”. If you lot ended up earning £7k a month from YouTube/Instagram you’d quit your job to do it full time in a heartbeat and you’d be lying if you said otherwise!
I'd hate it tbh, but yeah, I know what you mean.
But if I did get a job where I dicked around and made a ton of cash, I wouldn't be out begging on twitter for money to buy food when that "not a real job" suddenly disappeared.
What's basic requirements of government (food banks ,nhs etc ) got to do with people earning a living ,however bizarre it seems to you .? Unless there's tax evasion or exploitation etc everyone does and pays their bit .
I'm sure plenty people's career choices are temporarily not seeming good
Surely these bloggers etc are building a better life ? It's not the life I live in but it is to many .
I did spell it out across that and other posts on this thread.

There's 2 types of people buying these luxiry goods

1 - Rich people who clearly aren't paying enough tax in the first place
2 - Not rich people who face the normal struggles of financial affairs, but who have swallowed the marketing (along with their friends) and spend money they don't really have on this crap

And at the top, you have these brands making a fortune, and throwing money at people just to go to parties wearing their jacket, or whatever.

My main point in all of this, once I come to think about it properly, is the way marketing has ruined society. Convincing people that pointless stuff is actually the most vital thing.
All that wasted time, effort and resources. Its madness. Like I said, maybe Cuba had it right all along

Last edited:
My main issue with that article is the lass complaining about not having been away since February despite everything that's going on and the lass begging folk to buy her free stuff off Amazon. That's got nowt to do with earnings or talent or anything, that's just people being self-centred and selfish.
That’s just a lot of people in general though, especially at the moment as toys are thrown out of the pram here there and everywhere.

Richard Branson who owns his own island and in 2009 said that the government shouldn’t bail out BA is suddenly looking for handouts; companies with massive profits are furloughing staff and claiming government grants which intended for struggling businesses to pay them; self employed individuals who did a large proportion of their work “for cash” are moaning that a grant of 80% of their last 3 years self employed income isn’t enough etc etc are all just as bad or worse than a bunch of spoilt instagram fannies mining they are no longer getting free stuff.

I'd have made sure I paid my stamp, therefore ensuring help from Government during Pandemic.

My main point in all of this, once I come to think about it properly, is the way marketing has ruined society. Convincing people that pointless stuff is actually the most vital thing.
All that wasted time, effort and resources. Its madness. Like I said, maybe Cuba had it right all along

That's a problem with marketing in general though, not influencers specifically. The sad fact of the matter is marketing only exists because it works.

Sat next to a lads dad on grand central recently.

He’d begged him for a small loan to do this n now the feckers huge, modelling for h&m, huge gaff in london n knocks about with lewis hamilton. Fair play. Tbf he hosts a weekly fashion thing n seems more than just a prettyboy/girl like most.

His dad was rightly proud.

Less effort
less guarantee
That's a problem with marketing in general though, not influencers specifically. The sad fact of the matter is marketing only exists because it works.
I do think that the state needs to limit marketing. I don't think it should be seen as integral to almost ever area of media. Because you're absolutely right, it works very well. Its quite simply propaganda, and that does work.

Last edited:

Back