Devestating news. People who have pretend jobs aren't earning money

My mates 15 year old daughter fancies herself as an influencer. To be fair she did alright, got some free clothes from a high street store as long as she promised to wear them and post so many pics on instagram. It was fine when it started....

He was tearing his hair out six months ago, she genuinely thought her life was made, and started to lose interest in everything else. She was getting no money, but getting free clothes and expecting daddy to drive her to good places for photos. Her boyfriend left her because they had a holiday that was ruined by her always wanting to change her outfit and pose for pictures.

Then it became YouTube videos and pestering her dad to pay for a trip to Ireland so she could do instagram.

All because of people like those in the link. No sympathy

My mates 15 year old daughter fancies herself as an influencer. To be fair she did alright, got some free clothes from a high street store as long as she promised to wear them and post so many pics on instagram. It was fine when it started....

He was tearing his hair out six months ago, she genuinely thought her life was made, and started to lose interest in everything else. She was getting no money, but getting free clothes and expecting daddy to drive her to good places for photos. Her boyfriend left her because they had a holiday that was ruined by her always wanting to change her outfit and pose for pictures.

Then it became YouTube videos and pestering her dad to pay for a trip to Ireland so she could do instagram.

All because of people like those in the link. No sympathy
This is exactly my point.

Not in terms of marketing products, no. They’re all getting used to sell summat. The audience is just different.

Is being an 'influencer' really a proper job or business though? Surely if they are proper businesses they can apply for help from the Government?? Or, heaven forbid are they not declaring their earnings or paying tax on them?

Is being an 'influencer' really a proper job or business though? Surely if they are proper businesses they can apply for help from the Government?? Or, heaven forbid are they not declaring their earnings or paying tax on them?
I assume they have to. Depends how the money gets paid of course. If they’re just getting freebies then I don’t suppose they will. But, for instance Joe Wicks will need to declare all of his new advertising revenue from YouTube, because YouTube will pay it directly to him monthly, so it will be difficult to hide.

I assume they have to. Depends how the money gets paid of course. If they’re just getting freebies then I don’t suppose they will. But, for instance Joe Wicks will need to declare all of his new advertising revenue from YouTube, because YouTube will pay it directly to him monthly, so it will be difficult to hide.
Isn't that the crux of this thread though? Whether being an influencer is a real job? Working for a real advertising agency is a real job with real wages, being a social media influencer being 'paid' in freebies isn't. The people on the bbc link should stop whinging and get a real job and contribute to society properly

Didn't he say he was donating all of it to the NHS?

The amount of times I've seen that line pushed out by people. Its a completely terrible argument.

I'm really not jealous. Its irksome to see people bragging about how they get paid a fortune despite putting very little effort in. But then, the last thing in the world I'd want to be is famous.
Completely happy with people being famous for being good at things, but this is just advertising-whoring, frankly. Its morally bankrupt and an utterly terrible example to set for the younger generation. But kids don't see through this stuff - they look up to these absolute nobodies, and want to be them.

Whether you like it or not , it’s as much a career choice for kids today as playing Football Manager ( or other games) professionally . They know it’s all about marketing tho.
Like I said in a roundabout way , if anyone gets to the top in any competitive field , they must have “something” over the rest.

The whole “what work is” thing has just been given a massive bump with Corona , we probably won’t recognise what the next generation call work.
I agree that nobody likes people bragging about their wealth tho , however it was obtained.

They are taxed on the income but there needs to be a clamp down on the “gifts” that aren’t really a gift. They’re part of a contract (written or otherwise) and therefore represent income.

They are taxed on the income but there needs to be a clamp down on the “gifts” that aren’t really a gift. They’re part of a contract (written or otherwise) and therefore represent income.
If they declare it, which makes me wonder why those are link aren't getting help from the Government at the moment. Surely if it's a real job they'd declare all their income?

And Joe's missus. 😻

aye she’s a canny lass as well, most of the Strictly lot were to be honest. There’ll always be a few annoying dicks, same as any walk of life, but her and Joe are a good couple. He’s proper raked it in and now she’s having her turn...good luck to them.

shame nobody wants to watch me buy trainers and eat takeaways, I could be content and minted but such is life :lol:

Well.

It's like folk who want to grow up to be a model I suppose.

I have the same disdain for that career choice as this, and unless you're prepared for the inevitable destruction of your 'career', then you deserve everything you get to be honest.

Such things are finite, and the choice of the workshy.

Saying that... I'd blame it mostly on social media and society. If the internet goes off for more than a week half of these people would be dead.

No difference to money spent on TV ad's when i was a bairn. The woman dancing around singing about Shake n Vac got paid to do it.
If i could supplement my income by being paid a few hundred quid to go to the pub in some Prada sandals i would.

No difference to money spent on TV ad's when i was a bairn. The woman dancing around singing about Shake n Vac got paid to do it.
If i could supplement my income by being paid a few hundred quid to go to the pub in some Prada sandals i would.
If you pay tax on your earnings from that then fair enough. Otherwise you can't call it a job or business

Back