Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not wanting to be preachy as everyone has to make their own choices, but I have seen a massive improvement in my depression and anxiety since packing in the drink.

If you are really struggling, as I was back end of last year, I would suggest giving it a go.

I have made a number of changes so can't put it all down to not drinking, however, I can see now it was something that was hindering me sorting myself out and not helping me relax as I had thought.

Not wanting to be preachy as everyone has to make their own choices, but I have seen a massive improvement in my depression and anxiety since packing in the drink.

If you are really struggling, as I was back end of last year, I would suggest giving it a go.

I have made a number of changes so can't put it all down to not drinking, however, I can see now it was something that was hindering me sorting myself out and not helping me relax as I had thought.
Alcohol is a depressant.
It offers sanctuary for a short time though.

Popped to the doctors today, and told her how I was feeling. She offered me counselling, declined that, as I don’t think that’s for me (I might be wrong, mind) was given a prescription for 15mg Mirtazapine, and have to go back in a month so she can see how I’m getting on with them.

Already feel like a bit of weight has been lifted, no idea why I didn’t do this ages ago!

I took them years, takes 9 months to get used to life off them - they do give you anxiety, make you talk too much, piss too much, bad dreams, twitches.....but they do give you a thicker skin when you need it. However cognitive therapy can fix your self problems just the same......SSRI does not heal the wound, in fact it makes t grow - it does stop the pain tho.

Yeah, found I was in .Worse state coming off them, DT's, shivering and sweating, back to stuttering and aniexty and panic attacks.

That is why I tried to do without help or medication till I hit the wall, that was a real shock the total loss of control of things.

Mind I have become OCD, with Dieting, Calorie, salt protein, fibre and fat counts. Drinking at least 4 litres of fluid a day.

Doing things in repition, dressing and washing and shaving, polishing boots and shoes and general other things.

All things I can control in my life, got no control over health and medication I have to use daily, but can restrict type of food as and when I want.

That with current medication is helping me from falling too far. I know what I am doing is totally stupid perhaps to others, but it is stopping me sinking, working for me at this time. For how long is anyone's guess? Hopefully get a place on Therapy before I find out!

For about 2 years now I’ve been feeling pretty low, tired to the point I get up on a morning and go back to bed, and sack work off, I even get agitated over the slightest little thing, That’s without even mentioning my anxiety level.
Last few months I’ve had thoughts of suicide while I’ve sat at my desk, and I’ve managed to get a doctors appointment in the morning.
I guess what I’m asking is, what’s the best way to outright say that i’ve had enough?
Not sure if this will help, but I've been very good at burying my issues for years, and I'm bloody good at it. A quick distraction here, and a coping mechanism there.

To ask me to my face what's up, I'd be hard-pressed to answer the question in a decent way.

So I started writing down what was bothering me, as it happened and as I thought about it. That way I had a list of all the feeling, issues, outcomes etc that were troubling me.
And I took that list to the doctors with me on my first appointment - just like you, I simply didn't know where to start.

The doc was fantastic mind. I hope yours is the same. Good luck mate.

Woke up this morning to a phone call to tell me another soldier who I served with has took his own life.
First met him in 1989 and hit it off with him straight away, fuckin gutted.
That's terrible, really sorry to hear that.

It happens far too often.

Popped to the doctors today, and told her how I was feeling. She offered me counselling, declined that, as I don’t think that’s for me (I might be wrong, mind) was given a prescription for 15mg Mirtazapine, and have to go back in a month so she can see how I’m getting on with them.

Already feel like a bit of weight has been lifted, no idea why I didn’t do this ages ago!
Ah, I was too late :lol:

But yep, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted too.

Last edited:

Pleased to hear the appointment went ok.

Keep an open mind about the counselling. You can change your mind at anytime and ask for it. The trouble with this illness is there's no one size fits all way of curing it. Various things work for different people. Keep talking on here though if it helps. You've got a lot of support here if you need it. Take care xx

Counselling isn't for everyone but I found it to be very helpful myself; I had a few sessions when I was in a depression while I lived in France as a student.

Yeah, found I was in .Worse state coming off them, DT's, shivering and sweating, back to stuttering and aniexty and panic attacks.

That is why I tried to do without help or medication till I hit the wall, that was a real shock the total loss of control of things.

Mind I have become OCD, with Dieting, Calorie, salt protein, fibre and fat counts. Drinking at least 4 litres of fluid a day.

Doing things in repition, dressing and washing and shaving, polishing boots and shoes and general other things.

All things I can control in my life, got no control over health and medication I have to use daily, but can restrict type of food as and when I want.

That with current medication is helping me from falling too far. I know what I am doing is totally stupid perhaps to others, but it is stopping me sinking, working for me at this time. For how long is anyone's guess? Hopefully get a place on Therapy before I find out!

Cognitive will sort that at monkwearmouth

Counselling isn't for everyone but I found it to be very helpful myself; I had a few sessions when I was in a depression while I lived in France as a student.
Purely down to who you get and how honest and open you can be- if you cant admit your mistakes your fucked

It’s a case I think of finding the right person. Some people go once to maybe the wrong match so to speak for what they need and give it up too quickly. Like anything in life you can shop around a bit to find the best.

Without doubt helps

I am so anti social when I don't drink though that can cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back