Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloods taken this morning. Got a load of print offs to read, then I need to syc myself up to call these people. Not looking forward to that one.

Try not to worry about it, they speak to people going through tough spells all the time. I had some sessions with a local IAPTs counsellor and she was really nice.

anyone got any tips for natural remedies to help with anxiety?

I am not someone who likes to take pills & potions from the doctor but my anxiety has been getting worse recently and I am up for trying some natural type of help. I like to stick to routines so I try and get myself into what I think of as positive routines that help me with stress so no booze, no caffeine, exercise everyday , get to bed on time etc. For some reason though my anxiety has been peaking a lot recently and I think I need some extra help

Talking changes is excellent by the way, make sure you get in touch with them and push for a 1 to 1 appointment if you can, the first will be a telephone consultation, and I found the group session tough, but 1 to 1 was superb.
Just got off the phone with them, and came here to get it off my chest. Seemed nice enough, booked in for a telephone chat on Tuesday.
No chance I'm going group therapy mind. Happy to make changes in my life, but I'm not going to become a different person here!

The most stressful thing I've done in recent memory? Going to the docs (actually had a panic attack half way through the appt), having bloods taken, calling that support line, calling work's occ health people (I've actually got private medical insurance, so there could be something there that can help, they're calling me back this afternoon to discuss), and then telling my mam just now.

So yeh, "doing something about it" sounds great, but its been bloody horrible. I don't feel any relief from this stage whatsoever. Its just made me want to cry quite a bit.
I'm pleased I've took some time off work.

I am not someone who likes to take pills & potions from the doctor but my anxiety has been getting worse recently and I am up for trying some natural type of help. I like to stick to routines so I try and get myself into what I think of as positive routines that help me with stress so no booze, no caffeine, exercise everyday , get to bed on time etc. For some reason though my anxiety has been peaking a lot recently and I think I need some extra help
If you have a smartphone, the Calm app has a "7 Days of Calm" free session which is a guided mindfulness mediation thing that I found quite good. I might run through it again over the coming week.
£35/yr to subscribe though, beyond that one course, is putting me off. There must be some good free options out there?

Other than that, I've no idea right now - I'm sure I'm about to find out though!

Just got off the phone with them, and came here to get it off my chest. Seemed nice enough, booked in for a telephone chat on Tuesday.
No chance I'm going group therapy mind. Happy to make changes in my life, but I'm not going to become a different person here!

The most stressful thing I've done in recent memory? Going to the docs (actually had a panic attack half way through the appt), having bloods taken, calling that support line, calling work's occ health people (I've actually got private medical insurance, so there could be something there that can help, they're calling me back this afternoon to discuss), and then telling my mam just now.

So yeh, "doing something about it" sounds great, but its been bloody horrible. I don't feel any relief from this stage whatsoever. Its just made me want to cry quite a bit.
I'm pleased I've took some time off work.

If you have a smartphone, the Calm app has a "7 Days of Calm" free session which is a guided mindfulness mediation thing that I found quite good. I might run through it again over the coming week.
£35/yr to subscribe though, beyond that one course, is putting me off. There must be some good free options out there?

Other than that, I've no idea right now - I'm sure I'm about to find out though!

It’s not uncommon to feel worse before you start to feel better especially if you have been prescribed anti depressants. Also facing up to it and telling people you are anxious or depressed takes courage too.

I did pay for the calm app and for me paying the £35 would be justified in the long run. I don’t use it all the time but it’s useful especially when you get better at focusing your mind.

@Giggity Be kind to yourself, reading that post you've achieved a hell of a lot !!! Proud of you lad !!

Is anything particularly triggering the anxiety ? Certain times of day or night ?? Any pattern at all ?
Mindfulness apps are helpful.
Don't rule out medication as a means to an end tho.... It's only like having stitches or a cast till your body gets mended

Last edited:
Is anything particularly triggering the anxiety ? Certain times of day or night ?? Any pattern at all ?
Mindfulness apps are helpful.
Don't rule out medication as a means to an end tho.... It's only like having stitches or a cast till your body gets mended

Always been very prone to it. Was diagnosed 2 years ago in my 30's as having aspergers and I have learned since that anxiety is a common thing to suffer from.

I have had a hard week at work and I have felt stressed by it all. My work is focused on important IT systems for the Govt and usually I am left alone to get on with things but this week I have had to work with others on a large project. I would rather be at home focusing on things I am interested in doing.

It’s not uncommon to feel worse before you start to feel better especially if you have been prescribed anti depressants. Also facing up to it and telling people you are anxious or depressed takes courage too.

I did pay for the calm app and for me paying the £35 would be justified in the long run. I don’t use it all the time but it’s useful especially when you get better at focusing your mind.
Its actually beta blockers he's given me, to stop the anxiety going "over my limit". He suspects my sad spells are induced by the anxiety, so helping one might help the other too.

I guess we'll see how that goes.

And then another phone call, Occ health at work, going through it all again. Sigh. Either the pills are working, or talking about this is getting mundane now. What a strange 48hrs.

St John's Wort works for some people.

Its actually beta blockers he's given me, to stop the anxiety going "over my limit". He suspects my sad spells are induced by the anxiety, so helping one might help the other too.

And then another phone call, Occ health at work, going through it all again. Sigh. Either the pills are working, or talking about this is getting mundane now. What a strange 48hrs.

Well done, you have made some big steps this week.

I was reluctant to see my works occupational health. For some reason I had it in my head it was the slippery slope to disclipinary.

My experiance was the opposite and i ended up getting counselling sessions through works insurance within 3 weeks of being signed off and told not to come back until i was fit.

I promised myself, my wife and my boss i would listen to what the professionals would say rather than try and fight it.

I ended up being off for 3 months but have returned to work a different person.

Good luck!!

Have a look in to Ashwagandha

CBD oil has proven effective iirc

Have nowt to add to this myself mate other than I’ve been through the same myself and I’ve come out of the other side. One day something will make you realise that life is f***ing brilliant and you will come out of the other side. You just have to hang on and wait for that moment. Everyone seems to lack empathy and nobody gets your situation I’m sure but you’ll have people that love you. They just aren’t as brain experienced as you. Unless you’ve been through this shit nobody understands. You’ll come out of it a more empathetic person. Use this time to your advantage in future and help people going through the same thing. That’s why you’re getting the help that n here now because we’ve been there.

Good luck and nail it sonshine. I’m sure you’re a great lad x

My meds are having absolutely zero impact, been on them 3 weeks

Sometimes they can take four to six weeks to have any impact at all.
It is a bit shit when you’re absolutely desperate for them to start working right away & don’t feel well enough to play the necessary waiting game.

Sometimes they can take four to six weeks to have any impact at all.
It is a bit shit when you’re absolutely desperate for them to start working right away & don’t feel well enough to play the necessary waiting game.

Initially, I thought was impacting, but now its not, I think it has been over 4 weeks actually now I think

At what stage do you go back and try something else?

Initially, I thought was impacting, but now its not, I think it has been over 4 weeks actually now I think

At what stage do you go back and try something else?

Think it depends on what the drug is and what you are taking it for. Sertraline can take longer for anxiety than depression. I am on 50 which is low and touch wood I am steady but do think about increasing it from time to time. I reckon it took a couple of months to fully benefit with me.

Mirtazipine might work a bit quicker for anxiety. Lass at works boyfriend was on Sertraline for anxiety, it didn’t do owt for him so he switched to Mirtazipine and felt lots better within a week or two.

Quick update. A few days off work, and I feel, as expected, totally fine.
This is like an on/off switch for me, if I'm under the level, I'm fine. Its odd.

Not sure if the meds (beta blockers) are doing owt or not. Can't say I've noticed anything other than my stomach seems to be churning all the time.
Got my chat with Talking Changes this afternoon - problem is, I'm starting to forget all the bad stuff now - reading it off a page just doesn't feel the same. Again, its odd.

Occ health were great though, even told me not to contact work to see if they needed anything to be able to cope without me. Got another full week off, which is handy.

First call with Talking Changes today. Still finding all this very strange, as I don't really feel like there's something wrong most of the time, although I know there is.

Went through the questionnaire they sent me through which indicated depression and anxiety at moderate-to-sever levels. She started to explain a cycle of how things get bad and what effects that has on a person, and it was like being in front of a mirror - so that's good to know that this is well understood

Was offered group therapy, 1-2-1 telephone, or computer based. Went for the computer stuff so I can do it in my own time. There's still a waiting list though, so its not going to happen immediately.

One side thing she mentioned was sleep hygiene. My "getting to sleep" is terrible, and I wake up tired every single day. Maybe I can start on that now.

Last edited:
Going through a rough patch at the minute, feeling worse than ever. Going back to the GPs to get tablets as I foolishly went off them cold turkey last year.

Got referred to talking changes and they are an absolute joke. I explained I was a teacher, but they still set my first appointment for 1130 on a Tuesday. I managed to get them to change it to 1600 that same day. 5 o'clock came and they still had not called.

I ended up getting a message saying the lass had been held up so would redo the appointment for the week after at the same time. Next week comes and by 5 there is still no call. I get another message apologising for her being held up but that I also need to answer her calls when she rings, even if she is late (I had to be in a meeting by 5 So could not answer).

I ring talking changes to apologise for missing the call, despite it being an hour late and to rearrange. The manner of the person on the phone was absolutely disgusting. However, despite the rudeness, I was able to rearrange an appointment for the week after which was half term.

Fast forward to then, I receive call early that morning explaining that the person I'm meant to speak to is now ill and they don't know when she will be back. I was told they would get in touch to let me know. 2 and half weeks later I have a missed called at 10am and an answer phone message. I managed to listen to it in the staff toilets at work. It is the counsellor I was meant to speak to saying that because I've missed another appointment today (for which I had no notice) that I'm on a final warning before being removed from the programme.

I leave a message for my counsellor on the online portal saying that I had no notice etc and that they know I can not do those times. However, it turns out they don't look at the portal until the day of the appointment. So a week later I miss another call at 10ish, this time with no message.

I received a letter last week from talking changes (which they also sent to my GP) saying that I am removed from the programme because I would not take part and that when I decide I want to do the programme properly then I'm welcomed back.

Reading the letter (and going through the whole process in general) has made me feel worse than I have ever felt. I would not want to put people off talking changes, but in my experience they are an absolute disgrace. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back