Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

All my anxiety ultimately stems from either the deaths of people I’ve loved, or absolute blind f***ing terror at facing my own. The price we pay for the magnificence of life and love.
Exactly the same for my missus, all to do with death.
Manifested strongly after my dad died but reviewing the symptoms, they'd been there for years just more manageable.
I luckily had a few close calls with death when I was younger so have a fairly relaxed attitude. The only thing I even give a moments thought to is speed, the being dead bit is a doddle.

I just use all my anxiety worrying about hers :)

She is doing really well now and is hoping to come off the beta blockers soon.
Keep going everyone and if I have one bit of advice it is, that not getting the right help first time does not mean you stop asking for it, I know it is hard but shy bairns etc.

CBT makes you examine what you’re anxious about and look at it with another bit of your mind, your rational mind. So in the middle of a huge anxiety attack, you write down what you’re worrying about, and answers to a series of prompt questions. Then you interrogate what you’ve written again with some prompt questions. The questions that worked for me were ‘is this thought extreme?’ (The answer was always yes) and ‘is it helpful?’ (The answer was always no), and that helped me see it more clearly. Then there’s other techniques it suggests you try out, eg pretend you’re speaking to a friend who has this thought, what would you say to them?
I had CBT earlier this year and I've found its helped massively. It just makes u look at things in a different way.

I also found it helped saying my problems out loud to the woman doing it. It made it sound so silly and trivial, and it was when she said you would be surprised how many other people have the same thoughts when saying it out loud it puts it into perspective.

What does that involve?

Hearing your version..I dont think mine is severe. Its just a constant adrenalin rush 24/7. Nothing I cant deal with...just annoying.

You can get an app , can't remember what it's called, tho but the technique is called "worry time" you choose 15-30 minutes everyday to worry. So everytime u have a worrying thought u make a list and then during the time your allowed to worry you look at the list but by then it's been and gone. It's hard to describe but it does help.

Also it's all about finding solutions, for eg. One of my problems (seems silly saying it out loud) is the parking on my street. I found I couldn't go anywhere on a weekend or after work because I was so worried about getting parked back home. It sounds pathetic but it was really ruling my life. Everytime we went anywhere it was all I thought about. CBT changed that, 1. What's the worst that can happen? There's nowhere to park so I've got to go across the main road where there's loads of space. She had me parking there when my street was empty just to prove to myself I could do it.

Now I'm just like chill it'll be fine if there's nowhere people will be off to work in the morning so it'll be safe for 12 hours max. Before I'd think oh if I can't see it outside it'll get robbed, or crashed into and I can't afford another insurance claim so I won't be able to have a car, and I'll lose my job and I'll have to go on the dole dol I'll lose my house.

It's amazing once u get into the worry cycle how things escalate with severe anxiety. The hardest problem is changing your mindset and once you can do that you can beat anything

Just in the Island View Hotel near Lindisfarne after a 63 mile walk from Melrose ..... what a wonderful country we live in :cool:

Some beautiful sights, walking with a son and our lass ... me feet knack mind!

How did you find wide open hill?

Exactly the same for my missus, all to do with death.
Manifested strongly after my dad died but reviewing the symptoms, they'd been there for years just more manageable.
I luckily had a few close calls with death when I was younger so have a fairly relaxed attitude. The only thing I even give a moments thought to is speed, the being dead bit is a doddle.

I just use all my anxiety worrying about hers :)

She is doing really well now and is hoping to come off the beta blockers soon.
Keep going everyone and if I have one bit of advice it is, that not getting the right help first time does not mean you stop asking for it, I know it is hard but shy bairns etc.

I was on beta blockers a few years ago after I refused to take anti depressants as they weren't making me feel any better, I wasn't depressed but the Dr was so desperate to get me on them
It was a second opinion and chatting to a different Dr that she said to try them. Made a huge difference, in fact I got a bit too chilled :lol: I think (sometimes- im aware they are a life saver to some) ant depressants are a quick fix and sometimes the issue is something that they just won't work with and in fact make you feel worse than you started with

Last edited:
I had CBT earlier this year and I've found its helped massively. It just makes u look at things in a different way.

I also found it helped saying my problems out loud to the woman doing it. It made it sound so silly and trivial, and it was when she said you would be surprised how many other people have the same thoughts when saying it out loud it puts it into perspective.

You can get an app , can't remember what it's called, tho but the technique is called "worry time" you choose 15-30 minutes everyday to worry. So everytime u have a worrying thought u make a list and then during the time your allowed to worry you look at the list but by then it's been and gone. It's hard to describe but it does help.

Also it's all about finding solutions, for eg. One of my problems (seems silly saying it out loud) is the parking on my street. I found I couldn't go anywhere on a weekend or after work because I was so worried about getting parked back home. It sounds pathetic but it was really ruling my life. Everytime we went anywhere it was all I thought about. CBT changed that, 1. What's the worst that can happen? There's nowhere to park so I've got to go across the main road where there's loads of space. She had me parking there when my street was empty just to prove to myself I could do it.

Now I'm just like chill it'll be fine if there's nowhere people will be off to work in the morning so it'll be safe for 12 hours max. Before I'd think oh if I can't see it outside it'll get robbed, or crashed into and I can't afford another insurance claim so I won't be able to have a car, and I'll lose my job and I'll have to go on the dole dol I'll lose my house.

It's amazing once u get into the worry cycle how things escalate with severe anxiety. The hardest problem is changing your mindset and once you can do that you can beat anything

How did you find wide open hill?

I do worry about daft things but most of the time its just a general background level of tension even when im not really worrying if that makes sense.

I do worry about daft things but most of the time its just a general background level of tension even when im not really worrying if that makes sense.
Yeah definitely. I'm the same, I'm quite happy with my life atm, love my job have great friends, great relationship, my son's happy etc. Just some people have that personality where you have to have something to worry about. That's what I said to the woman who did my CBT, I feel ridiculous as it's so pathetic but she said it's completely normal. That made me feel a lot better and I stopped worrying I was being a massive idiot! Once I'm home I'll reach if I can find the leaflets of how to self refer yourself, it is in co Durham though so may be a different service if your elsewhere

Absolutely. It can be a gradual build up. One thing I realized is fixing a problem doesn't make the stress it caused go fully away. Some of it can stay with you - maybe that's what "builds up", and why its hard to realize why. A stress hangover?

I was on beta blockers a few years ago after I refused to take anti depressants as they weren't making me feel any better, I wasn't depressed but the Dr was so desperate to get me on them
It was a second opinion and chatting to a different Dr that she said to try them. Made a huge difference, in fact I got a bit too chilled :lol: I think (sometimes- im aware they are a life saver to some) ant depressants are a quick fix and sometimes the issue is something that they just won't work with and in fact make you feel worse than you started with
Beta Blockers did nothing for me, so I tried ADs.
They seem to be working now, but holy shit were the initial side effects bad.

Absolutely. It can be a gradual build up. One thing I realized is fixing a problem doesn't make the stress it caused go fully away. Some of it can stay with you - maybe that's what "builds up", and why its hard to realize why. A stress hangover?

Beta Blockers did nothing for me, so I tried ADs.
They seem to be working now, but holy shit were the initial side effects bad.
It's probably why they never quite worked for me I couldn't stick it long enough for them to kick in. But I think my depression was because of the anxiety so fixing that was what worked for me

Anyone on Sertraline get dizzy spells if they miss a couple of days medication. I ran out and forgot to get a repeat prescription. I felt terrible, proper dizzy. I must admit, for the first time in years I feel 'normal', and was considering knocking the pills on the head.

It's probably why they never quite worked for me I couldn't stick it long enough for them to kick in. But I think my depression was because of the anxiety so fixing that was what worked for me
I took 25mg for a week, and that was ok. Then went up to 50mg, and after 3 days my whole body was riddled with a feeling I can only describe as "electricity is about to shoot out of my hands like emperor palpatine"
Then it went away. 2 weeks later, I'm feeling much better.

Mine is mostly for anxiety too, hoping that the meds will make me feel better and give me more strength to work through the CBT.

Anyone on Sertraline get dizzy spells if they miss a couple of days medication. I ran out and forgot to get a repeat prescription. I felt terrible, proper dizzy. I must admit, for the first time in years I feel 'normal', and was considering knocking the pills on the head.
Never missed mine as yet, and wouldn't want to - sounds like its not something that should be done.

Although are you saying you felt "normal" when you were off them, or when on them? If the latter, how long have you been taking them for, might I ask?

I took 25mg for a week, and that was ok. Then went up to 50mg, and after 3 days my whole body was riddled with a feeling I can only describe as "electricity is about to shoot out of my hands like emperor palpatine"

Mine is mostly for anxiety too, hoping that the meds will make me feel better and give me more strength to work through the CBT.

Never missed mine as yet, and wouldn't want to - sounds like its not something that should be done.

Although are you saying you felt "normal" when you were off them, or when on them? If the latter, how long have you been taking them for, might I ask?
I've been on them around 8 months. I started on 50mg then moved up to 100mg. The past few months have been the best I've felt mentally for years. As the darker nights draw in I usually start to get worse, bit I'm hoping this won't be the case

Last edited:

Best of luck I hope it makes a difference to you. As with any medication it's always trial and error and trying different things until you find something that works. I also have severe eczema so that used to worry me and make me feel down, which obviously made the skin worse and i got stuck in a vicious circle. I changed my job in November and got out of a bad relationship and into a good one and my skin problems have virtually disappeared so that has also helped my mental health and I'm not taking handfulls of painkillers and steroids every day either so that all helps me feel better about myself too

I love this thread. Read it a lot when i qas porly and helped a lot as i could see there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Currently on my last day of my holiday in pefkos, Rhodes..... boiling, never seen a cloud for 10 days.

Been on 50mg citralopam since february after seeking help for depression and with a combination of CBT and the tablets managed to get better after 3 months sick. Hoping to wean off the tablets when the doctor wants to see me in october. Never had any relapses either and to be honest its the best i have felt in years.

Had some bad news on day 1 of our holiday as my nanna suddenly passed away and i feel like i havent cried as much as i should have. Probably as the holiday has taken my mind off things.

Slightly worried i might relapse when i get back. I have already told my wife about this and as i have the headspace app started up increasing my mindfulness sessions.

I suppose all i can do is take one day at a time.

Evening all.

Been reading this thread for donkeys but never had the bottle to post.

Had cbt last year and tablets. I seemed all right for a bit but now I'm just a paranoid mess. I finished the cbt and didn't feel like i needed to go any further and I knocked the tablets on the head cause I felt like I was dependant and felt weak.

I seem to be jumping from absolute apathy to blinding rage and it's doing my bloody nut in.

I don't really know what to do. Any way sorry to burden you lot i just needed a little vent.

Evening all.

Had cbt last year and tablets. I seemed all right for a bit but now I'm just a paranoid mess. I finished the cbt and didn't feel like i needed to go any further and I knocked the tablets on the head cause I felt like I was dependant and felt weak.

I seem to be jumping from absolute apathy to blinding rage and it's doing my bloody nut in.

I don't really know what to do. Any way sorry to burden you lot i just needed a little vent.
Vent away...
FWIW I don't consider taking medication for mental well-being weak.... It's correcting a small chemical imbalance.

Please consider going back to the doc if you're still feeling bad

Evening all.

This thread is really cathartic marra, no judging, proper family vibe. Helps me sometimes just to write things down.

Keep posting and keep your head up as best you can. It’s not a cop out to go to the doctor and get help if you need it mate.

Take it easy.

I love this thread. Read it a lot when i qas porly and helped a lot as i could see there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Currently on my last day of my holiday in pefkos, Rhodes..... boiling, never seen a cloud for 10 days.

Been on 50mg citralopam since february after seeking help for depression and with a combination of CBT and the tablets managed to get better after 3 months sick. Hoping to wean off the tablets when the doctor wants to see me in october. Never had any relapses either and to be honest its the best i have felt in years.

Had some bad news on day 1 of our holiday as my nanna suddenly passed away and i feel like i havent cried as much as i should have. Probably as the holiday has taken my mind off things.

Slightly worried i might relapse when i get back. I have already told my wife about this and as i have the headspace app started up increasing my mindfulness sessions.

I suppose all i can do is take one day at a time.
God bless petal, so sorry about your nana. Try not worry about what it might feel like when you come home, you've had a bad blow and it's natural to feel very sad about it. If you do get down about it, you'll rise again just as you've done before. I bet you can look at times in your nana's life when she took some knocks, but in time came back again. Glad you're talking to your wife about what's going on.

Got it on holiday, travelling, f***ing nightmare, trapped in a hotel room :lol:

got to laugh I guess.
Recently?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back