Dawson @ PaddyPower, Open Letter To Short

We didn't sell a huge chunk of the squad. More's the pity.

It's a bullshit , inaccurate statement from Andy "who the Fuck is he anyway" Dawson
Ok, we got rid of a significant part of the first team that ended the previous season. Net result is still the same in terms of what we're left with on a playing front.

Villa spent a fortune after they went down and were shit..

And are very close to getting back to the Prem

Mate, living in a fantasy world

Sounds like you want the club to go under

I want the club to compete in the top division. Sadly like it or not the only way to do that is to buy good players. That cost money

It might be, but we didn't do that - a number of players came down with us and stuck around.

What we did bring in however, regardless of the cost, was absolute shite, coupled with an absolute stink around the club both on and off of the pitch, that's what brought this about.

Would more cash have sorted it? Probably. But being run in a competent and efficient manner would likely have kept our heads above water too despite the minimal investment available.

Small chance of that from this regime, they're about as much use as a marzipan dildo.

You're spot on. But the only way out is spending our way out. People may not realise it now and think league 1 and the championship are a part time laugh. But in 10 years time we will wish we had taken the chance to get out now, once the price of getting out had rocketed even further. Decent championship players are 10m a pop now.

Last edited:
Whereas you sound as though you are loving us being in this situation....

Dinnit gan in a rage, but that's the way you're coming across .

What?

What a strange thing to say.

I just can't get my head round the fact that people think just spending more money is the answer, its like they have no idea how we got here in the first place.

I want the club to compete in the top division. Sadly like it or not the only way to do that is to buy good players. That cost money

You're spot on. But the only way out is spending our way out. People may not realise it now and think league 1 and the championship are a part time laugh. But in 10 years time we will wish we had taken the chance to get out now, once the price of getting out had rocketed even further. Decent championship players are 10m a pop now.

We didn't sell any of Kone, Khazri, Rodwell, Cattermole, NDong, Papy to name a few

We have a hell of a wage bill, way beyond our means.

What?

I just can't get my head round the fact that people think just spending more money is the answer, its like they have no idea how we got here in the first place.

We didn't sell any of Kone, Khazri, Rodwell, Cattermole, NDong, Papy to name a few

Or we just do what we have done this season and fall straight through to the 4th division. Whilst at the sametime having the higherners still on the books.

What?

Who cares. Stoke didn't sell Imbula, sink or swim nowerdays, where we aren't prepared to pay other clubs will be. That's the name of the game sadly. Don't get me wrong if we are lucky we can build a team of cast offs and vagabons down here that make it to the prem, but when we get there it's still the same game and the longer it takes the more it'll cost. 10m a decent prem player a few years ago, 10m a decent championship player now. We turn over 10m in gate receipts. We either get an identity to be proud of that eclipses success, or we have nout and exist like Leeds.

Who cares. Stoke didn't sell Imbula, sink or swim nowerdays, where we aren't prepared to pay other clubs will be. That's the name of the game sadly. Don't get me wrong if we are lucky we can build a team of cast offs and vagabons down here that make it to the prem, but when we get there it's still the same game and the longer it takes the more it'll cost. 10m a decent prem player a few years ago, 10m a decent championship player now. We turn over 10m in gate receipts. We either get an identity to be proud of that eclipses success, or we have nout and exist like Leeds.

Stoke are in the Premier League man!!!

Or we just do what we have done this season and fall straight through to the 4th division. Whilst at the sametime having the higherners still on the books.

The poser was saying to spend 50 million

No thanks

The money and players at the managers' disposal should not have been bottom of this league.

More money would have been nice,a manager who could turn around morale and organise a team was essential.

Going in to the season with some optimism would have been ideal,I feel a lot of the damage was done in the pre season. Getting crushed at home by Celtic set the tone for the whole season. So yes,I still blame bain.

Oh and we didn't spend 1.25m or whatever number he said. As recently published,we spent something like 5m in agents fees. That doesn't even cover the signing on fees or whatever loan fees we'll have paid.

It's far too simplistic to go on about money and that podcast bloke isnt painting the fans in a good light on my eyes,where his points are naive.

Or like Bolton , Burton or even Millwall who've all spent less than us and are above us? We didn't need an "entire squad" either. We're up to our eyeballs in debt yet to many supporters the answer is "spend more money". The reason we've been relegated is bad management and not lack of transfer budget.

And before you say, I know Short is responsible for the debt.
Short been running Sunderland like a restaurant with no cameras and employees stealing money and Short wondering why his restaurant is not making money. Some employees have left kick out for nothing others went on to bigger and better opportunities & we are left with the real thieves in the kitchen still stealing for a living note Rodwell!!!!!

The simple truth is that we have to deal with a £68m debt by next summer. to have spent heavily last summer would only have made that harder. We'd essentially have spent any financial benefit from promotion getting there; precisely the same mistake as we made 10 years ago under Quinn and Keane. We'd have had nothing left to fund more transfers in 2018/19, and still need to repay or refinance the SBC loan. To do what Villa did last season, spend the money and not be promoted, would have made dealing with the debt impossible, and made administration a certainty. The stark choice was to spend little or nothing and risk a worsening league position, or to spend, and have a very high or a certain prospect of going under. Not a choice I'd have had much joy in making either way.

The simple truth is that we have to deal with a £68m debt by next summer. to have spent heavily last summer would only have made that harder. We'd essentially have spent any financial benefit from promotion getting there; precisely the same mistake as we made 10 years ago under Quinn and Keane. We'd have had nothing left to fund more transfers in 2018/19, and still need to repay or refinance the SBC loan. To do what Villa did last season, spend the money and not be promoted, would have made dealing with the debt impossible, and made administration a certainty. The stark choice was to spend little or nothing and risk a worsening league position, or to spend, and have a very high or a certain prospect of going under. Not a choice I'd have had much joy in making either way.

Would it though because we would have been looking at an additional 100m income from the premier league. Its possible that we could have spent 40m. And then next year taken a hit and not improved, and been back in the same situation yet without debt and the potenital to move forward.

Would it though because we would have been looking at an additional 100m income from the premier league. Its possible that we could have spent 40m. And then next year taken a hit and not improved, and been back in the same situation yet without debt and the potenital to move forward.

Nothing like £100m. It would simply put us back where we were. £50-60m. So you've already spent £40m of that getting there, and the player wages would also go back to where they started. That still leaves nothing to pay for future transfers, and nothing to repay the loan. the numbers simple don't add up. To put it bluntly, the risk of spending and not going up was too high for it to be risked.

Nothing like £100m. It would simply put us back where we were. £50-60m. So you've already spent £40m of that getting there, and the player wages would also go back to where they started. That still leaves nothing to pay for future transfers, and nothing to repay the loan. the numbers simple don't add up. To put it bluntly, the risk of spending and not going up was too high for it to be risked.
That's excluding anything an ambitious owner may be putting in. But set aside that. The premier league money is 100m minimum, we know that, we got it. So I don't know where 50-60 comes from ?

Also I trust your opinion on figures. but does it not make you realise that premier league existence let alone success is impossible for a club like our when they are seeking to only live within their means ? And is that ok for you to make up the number down here ?

Back