David Bowie - The Last Five Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent most of last year going through his back catalogue and still have loads more to listen to :lol:

That run of albums he released through the 70s is just absolutely incredible, nearly all of them are musical classics.

Over a year before 'Blackstar' was released Bowie put out this version of 'Sue (Or in a season of crime)' which quickly established itself in my all-time Bowie Top 10 (a great honour!) and which I still love to bits. Totally different to the Blackstar version of what was one of his simplest, most straightforward songs for decades, basically a murder ballad. It's the first track on the reverse-chronological anthology, 'Nothing Has Changed'.

Now see I can't be doing with that

Reactions: GTG
Age makes no difference these days with all the effects and alterations you can add and make in the studio. The vocals throughout the record are fascinatingly brilliant, particularly so on the title track.
I love Black star, it's so haunting and has so much about it. It's like listening to something slightly different every time.

I've told this story on here before about him but I'll tell it again.

I know a lad from Chester le Street. He is called Alex Lowes and he has become one of the most famous DJ's musical entrepreneurs in the UK and Croatia. He started off DJ'ing in Newcastle and from being about 17 or so he used to take me along with another crowd, Frankie Lucas et al all around the clubs and bars in the city. We got in everywhere for nowt just because we were with Alex. One of the places we used to go late 70's was Julie's on the Quayside when it first opened up. you had to know someone to get in and it was full of all the beautiful people; the hip and the trendy from the Newcastle University Art places and stuff like that. some cracking lasses.

Bowie played at the City Hall circa 1978 and me and my mates couldnt get tickets for it. Sold out instantly. I therefore got a call from Alex and we ended up in Julie's where he was DJ'ing. Nothing special was gong on that night, maybe 100 people in the place.

The two bouncers on the door were The Ford Brothers from Birtley/Low Fell. Alex knew them well and I got to know them.

Anyway we were sitting in Julie's and two big lads walked in and went over to talk to the Ford's. I distinctly remember one was white, one was black and they were both f***ing giants. All 4 of them walked outside and i thought that there must be trouble outside and the 4 of them were going outside to sort it out.

I didnt anticipate what would happen next.

The four of them walked back in about 5 minutes later and the two lads were minding Bowie. In he walked. He'd been on at the City Hall and as was his custom at that time, think he was living in Berlin at the time, Bowie would hunt out the underground clubs. Bowie walked over and sat not 6 feet from me, ordered a glass of water/orange and just sat for an hour or so unwinding and listening to the music. A couple of people came over and asked for his autograph but of course in those days - no mobile phones - so I dont think any pictures were ever taken of this event. In true NE style no one bothered him and he was allowed to just pass the time unhindered.

After an hour he got up and left.

i have no idea how many people are still alive who witnessed that event. Some might not even remember it unless reminded such is the passage of time.
Great to hear things like this.
I personally think he's the most talented person I've ever had the privilege to enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm not a Bowie fan at all. I can't stand the dressy ups period and all the meandering pop crap in the 80s. But Blackstar is a work of true genius. What a way to go out.

My point is his later stuff sounded pretentious, judging by the description you give Black star followed that pattern .It's just preference ,I can't get past that no matter how good the music or noble the concept

Do you have any idea how pretentious that makes you sound?

Do you have any idea how pretentious that makes you sound?
No ,I'm not pretending anything,I'm being honest .I'm talking purely his voice
He was a musical magpie by his own admission ,he would be inspired and recreate using the best people .He changed constantly which is good in some ways but not everyone will buy your new you
I'm not the one selling a product to people ,you buy into it I don't .No big deal

I love Black star, it's so haunting and has so much about it. It's like listening to something slightly different every time.

Great to hear things like this.
I personally think he's the most talented person I've ever had the privilege to enjoy.

How amazing is it that after decades of musical output, he was still able to make something so different to anything he'd done before and so brilliant too. An incredible talent as you say.

I still get goosebumps listening to the title track of Blackstar. It was a good documentary but I bet there was some animosity from his old band when he used a completely different one to make Blackstar. It was one of the things that set him apart from other artists, in that he used to embrace change.

I still get goosebumps listening to the title track of Blackstar. It was a good documentary but I bet there was some animosity from his old band when he used a completely different one to make Blackstar. It was one of the things that set him apart from other artists, in that he used to embrace change.
They were his touring band were they not? I'm sure Earl Slick is on Blackstar somewhere.

They're playing a birthday tribute gig in Brixton tonight. Would've loved to have gone.

I spent time his company several times when he used to hang around the the Arts Lab in Drury Lane before he fucked off to Beckenham, I thought he was as ordinary as they come. In fact I saw him as being a tad awkward and gawky :)

Fuck do I know eh. :oops:
Tell us about the drugs raid man. You always avoid it!

They were his touring band were they not? I'm sure Earl Slick is on Blackstar somewhere.

They're playing a birthday tribute gig in Brixton tonight. Would've loved to have gone.
Tube strike on!

I'm waiting for The Gouster album to be released properly.
Young Americans and Station To Station are my favourites of his and I'm interested in the whole Gouster/YA alteration. Lennon thought across the universe was garbage and couldn't understand why Bowie kicked songs off The Gouster for it. Fame it's understandable but Across The Universe drags YA down.
I know it's possible to burn your own cd of it from various YA releases and box sets but I'd prefer a real one.

Last edited:
Tell us about the drugs raid man. You always avoid it!

Tube strike on!

I'm waiting for The Gouster album to be released properly.
Young Americans and Station To Station are my favourites of his and I'm interested in the whole Gouster/YA alteration. Lennon thought across the universe was garbage and couldn't understand why Bowie kicked songs off The Gouster for it. Fame it's understandable but Across The Universe drags YA down.
I know it's possible to burn your own cd of it from various YA releases and box sets but I'd prefer a real one.
Rumoured to be getting a stand alone release in February. I got the newest box set with The Gouster in for Christmas but only had one listen of it so far

What's everyone's best three records?

Low, Alladin Sane and Blackstar for me.

The one I can never get away with is Diamond Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back