David Bowie - The Last Five Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 Young Americans
2 Station To Station
3 Low
4 Scary Monsters
5 Heroes

Like the dressy up box years and pre dressy up box years but love the stuff that followed. Post Scary Monsters there was a drop off in quality. Let's Dance was poor but not as poor as Low mind which unfortunately signalled what was to come over the next 30yrs in spades. His 70s run was better than anyone else has managed before or after over such a lengthy period.

I actually think Let's Dance is a great album, there's only one poor song on it (Ricochet). Haven't listened to Lodger yet.

Being pretentious isn't the same as pretending. You talk like you're the only one who has seen through the emperor's new clothes and won't waste time listening to something because you think it's going to be rubbish. Can't see what's to be gained by that. Meanwhile those of us who have 'bought into it'/been conned are having a great old time.
I know what pretentious is.I'm talking on behalf of myself,who doesn't ? I don't profess to be the only one.I have mates who love bowie and have gave me cd's copies of his later stuff including The next day and Blackstar.I've listened to them and can't get past his voice,like i cant get past Van Morrisons voice and Dylans .As usual we have people perplexed that some people don't like the work of the untouchable Gods of music

Just got round to watching the Doc last night, really enjoyed it, though quite sad, class album is Blackstar.

Once again the BBC nail it in the music docs department. Excellent.

Cant say I was a Bowie fan as such... he was just always there, if that makes sense. I liked the majority of his singles, (Boys Keep Swinging my fave) never bought his albums.

I will be getting Blackstar!

As usual we have people perplexed that some people don't like the work of the untouchable Gods of music

Not at all, music is a very personal thing. Al that 'perplexed' me was that you seemed to be saying that you hadn't even listened to his recent work because you just knew it wasn't going to be very good. As you have since stated that you had listened to it, something clearly got lost in the translation!

Like to watch live stuff because his band was amazing but wouldn't listen to studio stuff

My point is his later stuff sounded pretentious, judging by the description you give Black star followed that pattern .It's just preference ,I can't get past that no matter how good the music or noble the concept

Not at all, music is a very personal thing. Al that 'perplexed' me was that you seemed to be saying that you hadn't even listened to his recent work because you just knew it wasn't going to be very good. As you have since stated that you had listened to it, something clearly got lost in the translation!
I said I didn't like his voice on later stuff ,I've watched the doc and it's interesting albeit overlong ,some of the music is fantastic because he used the best people .It's not dismissive to know you'll not like something ,I've tried to get him many times down the years and it's never quite there for me

See what you mean on quotes but I mean listen as in ongoing ,we all hear snippets and tracks when people release stuff

Last edited:
I still get goosebumps listening to the title track of Blackstar. It was a good documentary but I bet there was some animosity from his old band when he used a completely different one to make Blackstar. It was one of the things that set him apart from other artists, in that he used to embrace change.

I'm not sure they would have minded. All of Bowie's musicians know they'll be times when he went down other musical avenues. For example, I was at the Brixton show on Sunday and both of his post 90s drummers were there - Sterling Campbell and Zachary Alford - and they get on famously. They're best friends and proteges of the late Dennis Davis.

I'm not sure they would have minded. All of Bowie's musicians know they'll be times when he went down other musical avenues. For example, I was at the Brixton show on Sunday and both of his post 90s drummers were there - Sterling Campbell and Zachary Alford - and they get on famously. They're best friends and proteges of the late Dennis Davis.
Would've loved to have gone to that. Was it good?

I looked at that but it's priced from £50 -£300 on ebay! The cheapest so from China anarl!
Don't know if this is of interest but you can buy the CD versions of the new boxset on Aliexpress for $32 which is about £26. The only difference is that the original discs are bronze on the reverse whereas these are silver.

Tempted to get the Five Years one to go with the other one.

I know what pretentious is.I'm talking on behalf of myself,who doesn't ? I don't profess to be the only one.I have mates who love bowie and have gave me cd's copies of his later stuff including The next day and Blackstar.I've listened to them and can't get past his voice,like i cant get past Van Morrisons voice and Dylans .As usual we have people perplexed that some people don't like the work of the untouchable Gods of music
Bowie's done basically the same thing with his voice as Debbie Harry has, to compensate for age. It is a bit annoying after a while tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back