David Bowie - The Last Five Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is his later stuff sounded pretentious, judging by the description you give Black star followed that pattern .It's just preference ,I can't get past that no matter how good the music or noble the concept

Fairy nuff mate. Love Bowie and think Blackstar is fantastic. Not quite as fantastic as Low mind.

I admittedly was late to the Bowie party but one thing disturbed me last year and that was when they released a greatest hits after he passed.

For me, you need to listen to his records in their entirety as they're a story, each one different to the next. You are doing them a disservice to lift a song here and there andiece them into a collection as I don't believe that's what they're about.

Thought it was ok, they string the first ten minutes out telling four or five times it was to be about bodies last five years which it turns out it wasn't they covered concerts and music from the 00's
Was never a massive fan, but the bloke was a musical genius he never stopped reinventing himself which is a brave thing to do as an artist

Mind you the sections with his band playing various tunes and explaining the origins in empty warehouses whilst they were enlightening sounded dreadful tinny as fuck and badly mixed I'm sure the great man would be turning in his grave

I admittedly was late to the Bowie party but one thing disturbed me last year and that was when they released a greatest hits after he passed.

For me, you need to listen to his records in their entirety as they're a story, each one different to the next. You are doing them a disservice to lift a song here and there andiece them into a collection as I don't believe that's what they're about.

I apply that to all artists. Greatest hits often don't include the best songs.

Thought it was ok, they string the first ten minutes out telling four or five times it was to be about bodies last five years which it turns out it wasn't they covered concerts and music from the 00's
Was never a massive fan, but the bloke was a musical genius he never stopped reinventing himself which is a brave thing to do as an artist

Mind you the sections with his band playing various tunes and explaining the origins in empty warehouses whilst they were enlightening sounded dreadful tinny as fuck and badly mixed I'm sure the great man would be turning in his grave

Wasnt that the point? They weren't trying to make it sound epic, more stripped back and basic to get the point across about each individual parts to the song.

Thanks for the warning mate.

It was on yday so that didn't work.

New EP released digitally to mark his birthday which includes the last three tracks he recorded. They were released in October on the Lazarus soundtrack but they were only available as part of the full album.

I thought it was pretty obvious why they started with footage from the 00's.
The musicians on that last tour that was abandoned, were the ones he picked up again many years later & made The Next Day with.

Over a year before 'Blackstar' was released Bowie put out this version of 'Sue (Or in a season of crime)' which quickly established itself in my all-time Bowie Top 10 (a great honour!) and which I still love to bits. Totally different to the Blackstar version of what was one of his simplest, most straightforward songs for decades, basically a murder ballad. It's the first track on the reverse-chronological anthology, 'Nothing Has Changed'.

Over a year before 'Blackstar' was released Bowie put out this version of 'Sue (Or in a season of crime)' which quickly established itself in my all-time Bowie Top 10 (a great honour!) and which I still love to bits. Totally different to the Blackstar version of what was one of his simplest, most straightforward songs for decades, basically a murder ballad. It's the first track on the reverse-chronological anthology, 'Nothing Has Changed'.

Got that when it came out but never took to that version. Much prefer the version on Blackstar. Same for 'Tis a Pity She Was A Whore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back